Cabin conditioning schedule *still* not working

GoBlueR1T

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Toyota Sienna AWD Hybrid
Living in Michigan, I was very excited for the cabin conditioning schedule feature this winter, for both the warm cabin and better efficiency. However, it does not work for me. Initially, I thought maybe the schedule was working when it was not plugged in to a charger, but that is definitely not the case now; it just never works. I have restarted the truck several times (both full reset and infotainment reset). The truck is up to date on OTAs, including the most recent one this week. The app is up to date, including deleting and re-downloading it in February. I have tried clearing the schedule and adding new events multiple times. The schedule shows up in the truck in the scheduling window, so the truck "knows" it is supposed to schedule; it just doesn't. The climate control works fine otherwise, and I am able to manually turn it on from my app. However, it is annoying that I can't just schedule as I should be able to, and it's unclear to me if it pulls from the charger when plugged in if I manually turn climate control on (versus scheduling, which you can check the box to pull from the charger when plugged in).

The truck was in a service center in late January, and they essentially said they could not fix it at that time. I had hoped one of the subsequent OTAs would help, because I had found a few other people in January who were having the same issue, but the problem has persisted. I have submitted multiple tickets since no one ever followed up with me after the January service center visit. I had at least 5 Rivian service agents say they were going to follow up with me to figure it out, and they never did. Finally, this week one agent did follow up and got a mobile service appointment scheduled for me in a couple of weeks. I want to be optimistic they'll fix it, but who knows.

Is anyone else still having this issue? Any thoughts/suggestions?
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Any thoughts
Maybe the guy that wrote the code went to State.

It's always worked for me as far as I can tell. Can you share what your schedule looks like in the app and on the truck? If you change something on the app does it show up on the truck right away?

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Did you verify that the location shown in the scheduling agrees with where your vehicle is parked?

OP
OP

GoBlueR1T

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did you verify that the location shown in the scheduling agrees with where your vehicle is parked?
Maybe the guy that wrote the code went to State.

It's always worked for me as far as I can tell. Can you share what your schedule looks like in the app and on the truck? If you change something on the app does it show up on the truck right away?
@Dark-Fx I'd love to blame Sparty, ha

I uploaded pictures of the screens in the truck and screenshots of the app. I accidentally deleted what was initially "Schedule 1" (the M-F 7:00 AM schedule) as I was taking screenshots, so that is why it says "Schedule 4" for the name in the schedule itself. When I initially set up some schedules in January, I did rename them (eg "Work 7:00") and that didn't help, so I don't think the names themselves matter. As far as I've noticed, it does update in the truck relatively quickly.

@VSG what do you mean by location in the scheduling? I don't see that anywhere in my app.

Rivian R1T R1S Cabin conditioning schedule *still* not working Screenshot_20240314_125215_Rivian

Rivian R1T R1S Cabin conditioning schedule *still* not working Screenshot_20240314_125302_Rivian

Rivian R1T R1S Cabin conditioning schedule *still* not working Screenshot_20240314_125312_Rivian

Rivian R1T R1S Cabin conditioning schedule *still* not working Screenshot_20240314_125225_Rivian

Rivian R1T R1S Cabin conditioning schedule *still* not working 20240314_112934

Rivian R1T R1S Cabin conditioning schedule *still* not working 20240314_112941

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Just to cover bases here, the times you have set are when you are getting into the vehicle to leave, correct? Some people have thought they were setting times to start the activation, but it's actually the time the climate will stop. 30 minutes later and the vehicle has cooled down significantly towards outdoor ambient.

I only have a single thing in my schedule. Not sure if it makes a difference that you have four. I wouldn't think so but having multiple set in my Polestar 2 will confuse it.

I'd try to turn each schedule off and back on.

Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I can confirm that the analog trigger is working flawlessly:

Routine {if smell coffee then warm truck}/ end routine

All the reported problems with the digital solution are making me think I should stick with analog for a little bit longer...
Rivian R1T R1S Cabin conditioning schedule *still* not working 1000001995

OP
OP

GoBlueR1T

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just to cover bases here, the times you have set are when you are getting into the vehicle to leave, correct? Some people have thought they were setting times to start the activation, but it's actually the time the climate will stop. 30 minutes later and the vehicle has cooled down significantly towards outdoor ambient.
Correct, these times are set for when I plan to leave. I have numerous screen shots I have uploaded to Rivian to show that it is scheduled for 7:00 AM, and at 7:01 the truck is sleeping at 40 degrees F in the cabin.

I only have a single thing in my schedule. Not sure if it makes a difference that you have four. I wouldn't think so but having multiple set in my Polestar 2 will confuse it.
I guess that's possible. Rivian Service has never asked me to check if it works with only one schedule. It seems weird multiple schedules would be an option if multiple schedules confused it!

I'd try to turn each schedule off and back on.
That was the first thing I tried!

OP
OP

GoBlueR1T

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I can confirm that the analog trigger is working flawlessly:

Routine {if smell coffee then warm truck}/ end routine

All the reported problems with the digital solution are making me think I should stick with analog for a little bit longer...
Yup, this is what I've resorted to while still trying to get the schedule functional. Do you know if it pulls from the charger when plugged in doing this?

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
@VSG what do you mean by location in the scheduling? I don't see that anywhere in my app.
Oh, I thought you were talking about charging schedule, which is set through the Energy tab in the app. The charging schedule is dependent upon location, and charging will only start if you are at the location specified. Having the location set wrong is a common problem.

But I see I misunderstood and you are actually talking about scheduled preconditioning, which is set through the Climate Control tab instead. Like you said, there doesn't appear to be a location dependency for scheduled preconditioning.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Yup, this is what I've resorted to while still trying to get the schedule functional. Do you know if it pulls from the charger when plugged in doing this?
I will repost this here, because this is a question that is asked all the time, and people really need to understand how this works:

All functions within the vehicle, to include any warming are done from the battery. Period. End of story. Nothing is ever directly drawn from "the wall". This is how it is supposed to work, trying to create a system that did anything different would be lossy and inefficient, it's how it works.

A debatable exception is when this energy is being shared in parallel with a DC charger.

There are those that have made statements that this is a bad design, but it's not. Seriously, it's how it is supposed to work and it is how they all work, not just Rivian.

Rivian has gone so far as to try to appease people that don't understand how this works by creating the "draw from the wall" radio button. This is an example of the company starting to put in deceptive controls to reduce complaints, because it's not really doing that. All that radio button is doing is reducing the amount of drop before it kicks the charger back on.
😎

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Rivian has gone so far as to try to appease people that don't understand how this works by creating the "draw from the wall" radio button. This is an example of the company starting to put in deceptive controls to reduce complaints, because it's not really doing that. All that radio button is doing is reducing the amount of drop before it kicks the charger back on.
The radio button is an override for when it conflicts with your charging schedule.

OP
OP

GoBlueR1T

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
All that radio button is doing is reducing the amount of drop before it kicks the charger back on.
😎
The radio button is an override for when it conflicts with your charging schedule.
That's helpful to know! So, manually turning the climate control on and automatically having it scheduled have the same effect on the battery in regard to state of charge and driving efficiency when I leave for the day?

If anyone wonders relative to my original question, I do not have any scheduled charging in the truck. I do that through my wall charger.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Thank you, that should help alleviate confusion as well.
👍

And functionally, is probably appropriately named I'm sure, but certainly does not cause the motors (the heaters for the battery) to switch over to 240 volt "shore power". As always, they continue to draw power through the inverters from the battery. AC wall power is always converted to DC to feed the battery alone, and none of the vehicle's components.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
That's helpful to know! So, manually turning the climate control on and automatically having it scheduled have the same effect on the battery in regard to state of charge and driving efficiency when I leave for the day?

If anyone wonders relative to my original question, I do not have any scheduled charging in the truck. I do that through my wall charger.
Yes, the exact same effect.

Scheduling with the Tesla works flawlessly, but being the distrusting person I am, I always have to check on it. After a while of doing that, I realized I was just duplicating my work; why not just turn it on when I would normally check on it lol?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

My observations are that if it's allowed/able to pull power from the wall (your wall charger is enabled, in your specific case), enabling that button seems to turn the charger on right away when climate starts. Rivian doesn't modulate the energy going into the vehicle to keep it at the same percentage like some other vehicles do. Otherwise the charger will kick on after some small amount of energy is drained out of the battery to attempt to maintain your set percentage.

I think it's worthwhile to leave the button on, because it shouldn't cause issues if you are not plugged in at the time.

I expect there are certain conditions that stop the scheduled climate from working, but Rivian isn't exposing that information to us and I have no idea what it could be.
Sponsored