Sponsored

"All Wheel Drive Permanently Engaged" & "Motor Fault Detected"; Will not drive w/o reboots

Semibruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

This required the replacement of the ENDURO front drive unit. According to the report this took 2 hours of labor.
Is this the front motor or is the drive unit something else? That would be amazing to swap out a motor in 2 hours.

I just found this thread because I, too, am getting this warning. In my case I put it in reverse pretty quickly. The vehicle seems to drive fine and I see that it's sometimes just using the front motor.

I guess I'll contact service to be sure there's not a bigger issue. Would be great if this is just "fixed" with an OTA update.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Brian-MS90D

Brian-MS90D

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S (Dual Motor, Max pack, LA Silver)
Sounds like your fault is not identical. I did read others see the first fault come up if they shift into gear really fast upon entry.

Yes, whole front motor. They said it’s a straightforward swap

The dual motor only uses the rear motor under ~ 22mph or when accelerating hard.

OP
OP
Brian-MS90D

Brian-MS90D

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S (Dual Motor, Max pack, LA Silver)
One final update.
TLDR: If you have your FDU replaced, make sure you insist on Rivian service doing a four wheel alignment too.

After driving R1S a few more days, I realized that the steering wheel center position and alignment were both really off. I contacted Rivian service and they were able to get me in within 3 days. This morning while I waited in the lobby they completed a four wheel alignment and steering wheel position calibration. Took them 2 hours including their quick test drive making a loop on the nearby highway. The R1S now drives perfectly. I am very pleased.

They offered me a loaner which I declined because I don't mind waiting for 2 hours and cranking out some work emails in the lobby. All of this was performed under warranty.

I have to say... While having your brand new car need a new FDU in the first week is not the most pleasant experience, at the same time Rivian personnel are incredibly customer service friendly and focused. Everything has been resolved and if I put aside this little blip, the vehicle is amazing. I'm loving it more every week.

But they should have a standard procedure that any time they replace a FDU they automatically do a four wheel alignment after.
Sponsored