Sponsored

Front windshield low quality (cracks easily)

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
Combined 50k miles between both me and my wife's Rivians. No broken windshields. Completely different commutes.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Noah Arc

Noah Arc

First Name
Noam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Contractor
So move further back, sometimes you actually have to be present in the situation, the cruise control isn’t set up to prevent rock chips
It actually flew from the opposite side of the freeway. We where going 30 mil/Hr. in LA traffic

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

Can you please share more info on the glass protection film?
is it installed outside ? spec etc.
Thanks in advance
Here's the site with STEK's literature on it: https://www.stek-usa.com/windshield-film/

FWIW: My installer provided me a 3-year warranty on mine (STEK warrants for 1 year). And they do STRONGLY encourage replacement every 3 years regardless of whether or not it seems like it needs it. I was told it's due to the 'ease' of re-applying, but could just be a revolving revenue source for my installer. FWIW: It cost $500, but this was packaged with select PPF and ceramic coating application at the time I was having it done.

It is installed on the outside of the glass, so that it can 'absorb and distribute' the impacts of rocks. It's supposed to greatly reduce rock chips and cracks. I have zero and have had this installed for over a year. My favorite part is that I don't have that 'snowy glitter' affect when the sun hits the windscreen at particular angles from being peppered with rocks on the highway (I sincerely cannot remember owning a vehicle that didn't inevitably have this 'issue.')

TO NOTE: it does take a couple of weeks for the optical clarity to sort of even out after it's installed. It's 'blurry' at first. But just like any PPF, the sun and time improve cure and now I forget it's there for the most part.

OP
OP
Noah Arc

Noah Arc

First Name
Noam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Contractor
FYI, my 2004 Tundra has done the same roads at the same driving style and after 248K miles has few dings in the front windshield and that's it!
Rivian reps giving ridicules excuses. bottom line its just a very bad, cheap glass.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Noah Arc

Noah Arc

First Name
Noam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Contractor
Here's the site with STEK's literature on it: https://www.stek-usa.com/windshield-film/

FWIW: My installer provided me a 3-year warranty on mine (STEK warrants for 1 year). And they do STRONGLY encourage replacement every 3 years regardless of whether or not it seems like it needs it. I was told it's due to the 'ease' of re-applying, but could just be a revolving revenue source for my installer. FWIW: It cost $500, but this was packaged with select PPF and ceramic coating application at the time I was having it done.

It is installed on the outside of the glass, so that it can 'absorb and distribute' the impacts of rocks. It's supposed to greatly reduce rock chips and cracks. I have zero and have had this installed for over a year. My favorite part is that I don't have that 'snowy glitter' affect when the sun hits the windscreen at particular angles from being peppered with rocks on the highway (I sincerely cannot remember owning a vehicle that didn't inevitably have this 'issue.')

TO NOTE: it does take a couple of weeks for the optical clarity to sort of even out after it's installed. It's 'blurry' at first. But just like any PPF, the sun and time improve cure and now I forget it's there for the most part.
Thank you very much.
I will defiantly install it once the windshield has been replaced

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

So move further back, sometimes you actually have to be present in the situation, the cruise control isn’t set up to prevent rock chips
Vehicles in other lanes (even vehicles going the opposite direction) can kick up rocks, too. There is no following distance which will prevent all rock impacts. Better glass would be the biggest improvement Rivian could make, and would help keep insurance costs down.

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

Thank you very much.
I will defiantly install it once the windshield has been replaced
I looked at their website previously - it still says, "This product is temporarily unavailable in North America."

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

The website says, "This product is temporarily unavailable in North America." Same thing it said when I looked at their website last summer.

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I've hedged my bets against windshield issues by having my friendly neighborhood PPF installer cover my windscreen with STEK DynoFlex Windshield Protection Film.

SO far, I've been PELTED by rocks (like, literally sounded like it was 'raining' stones. Thanks PennDOT and MDDOT!), and have had no appreciable damage to the glass.

Maybe it has nothing to do with the film, and I'm just lucky and wouldn't have otherwise had damage, but, just mentioning it in the event that someone would be curious to take this approach.
How long have you had this installed? I had this on my previous car (MachE also rock magnet) and had to take it off three months later because of streaking.

my installer doesn’t carry it anymore because they stopped selling it due to so many product defects. (I see that’s mentioned above now; edit)

Sponsored

Ecupip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Audi, and 2 Jeeps
Combined 50k miles between both me and my wife's Rivians. No broken windshields. Completely different commutes.
I regularly switch between the Jeep and the Rivian. So far no glass issues with the Rivian. Same paths and time, the Jeep has had 3 cracks from pebbles. All have been fixed at home with a repair kit.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

How long have you had this installed? I had this on my previous car (MachE also rock magnet) and had to take it off three months later because of streaking.

my installer doesn’t carry it anymore because they stopped selling it due to so many product defects. (I see that’s mentioned above now; edit)
INTERESTING.

I had no idea it was recalled. I do not have any issues, fortunately! I also have a *very* patient and detail-oriented installer. Their show room is filled with supercars that cost 10x what an R1T costs. SO... that *might* be a factor?

I'll for sure ask them about it the next time I'm in for a wash...

Z00mBye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
Ouch!!
Guess I better schedule mine now hopefully get it next year !?

Dmartin

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Quad - 21' Mach-e - 22' Model 3
Occupation
Electric Utilities
I dont think this is a glass quality issue, but rather an EV /airflow issue. The R1 is a slippery (aerodynamically speaking) vehicle for what it is, and EV's in general focus on Aero to increase range/decrease energy consumption.

My belief is that in focusing on this, the vehicle has a more uniform air sheet flowing over it compared to a typical vehicle, this carries things like rocks on the air cushion further up the vehicle but when it comes to the window there is a sudden steep change in air direction/flow and the mass of the objects now drives through the air cushion right into the window. I.e. aerodynamics makes air flow better over the hood of the vehicle, this carries debris into the windshield (unintended consequence of aerodynamics) at a higher rate then less aerodynamic vehicles. I believe this is why we see more broken windows on EV's in general compared to ICE vehicles.

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

Does anyone has an idea for exterior protective film?
In addition to the Stek Dynoflex that someone else mentioned, there is Exoshield GT3+ (which has a 3 year mfr's warranty):
https://www.getexoshield.com/

P.S. I think the warranty, in both cases, is only for defects in the film (delamination, etc.), and does not cover physical damage to the film or to the windshield.
P.P.S. I have read stories by happy and unhappy users of both products.
Sponsored