Sponsored

Front windshield low quality (cracks easily)

Noah Arc

First Name
Noam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Contractor
On my way for ANOTHER front windshield replacement !!!!!!
48,000 miles on the truck and this is the second time a small stone created a crack in the windshield.
Seems to be VERY LOW QUALITY and thin glass and management wont even consider a redesign of the windshield.
Almost all my friends who own a Rivian (5) had to replace the windshield and yet no real solution from Rivian.
No wonder the insurance on the vehicle is SO expensive in comparison to other trucks.
Does anyone has an idea for exterior protective film?
Anyone wants to join a class action?
Sponsored

jmtreetop

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I’ve had 3 rock chip repairs and a windshield replaced in my first 6,000 miles of owneship. I just proactively replaced my 4Runner windshield at 137,000 miles because it was so pitted, but never had any rock chips severe enough for repair let alone replacement.

AYAYRON

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
On my way for ANOTHER front windshield replacement !!!!!!
48,000 miles on the truck and this is the second time a small stone created a crack in the windshield.
Seems to be VERY LOW QUALITY and thin glass and management wont even consider a redesign of the windshield.
Almost all my friends who own a Rivian (5) had to replace the windshield and yet no real solution from Rivian.
No wonder the insurance on the vehicle is SO expensive in comparison to other trucks.
Does anyone has an idea for exterior protective film?
Anyone wants to join a class action?

stop following trucks so closely, if the vehicle in front of you is the appropriate distance, you cannot get rock chips.

Sponsored

BCondrey

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
5K miles and I have a small crack in the corner I'm ignoring. I'm thinking I will get another crack at some point and I will get both fixed at the same time. I always stay way behind trucks with covered loads and such.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

I've hedged my bets against windshield issues by having my friendly neighborhood PPF installer cover my windscreen with STEK DynoFlex Windshield Protection Film.

SO far, I've been PELTED by rocks (like, literally sounded like it was 'raining' stones. Thanks PennDOT and MDDOT!), and have had no appreciable damage to the glass.

Maybe it has nothing to do with the film, and I'm just lucky and wouldn't have otherwise had damage, but, just mentioning it in the event that someone would be curious to take this approach.

Z00mBye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
Are you fixing vs replacing and with who (dealership vs !??)

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

stop following trucks so closely, if the vehicle in front of you is the appropriate distance, you cannot get rock chips.
I don't think this is at all accurate. I've had my cruise set for the MAXIMUM following distance and still been hit with rocks from vehicles in front of me.

AYAYRON

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
I don't think this is at all accurate. I've had my cruise set for the MAXIMUM following distance and still been hit with rocks from vehicles in front of me.
So move further back, sometimes you actually have to be present in the situation, the cruise control isn’t set up to prevent rock chips

Sponsored

EBEG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2016 Pilot, 2019 Jetta
So move further back, sometimes you actually have to be present in the situation, the cruise control isn’t set up to prevent rock chips
My windshield was cracked as well. I was decelerating to exit. A truck passed me in the left lane and threw up a rock. Sometimes it's just bad luck.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Now you're just being unrealistic. The highways I frequent dictate the cadence and spacing of vehicles.

If I leave any room, someone is going to nudge their way in front of me, reducing the distance by half, meaning I'm perpetually closer to a vehicle.

Are you suggesting I drive 20+ miles per hour below the speed limit in order to avoid rocks?!?

OP
OP
Noah Arc

Noah Arc

First Name
Noam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Contractor
I've hedged my bets against windshield issues by having my friendly neighborhood PPF installer cover my windscreen with STEK DynoFlex Windshield Protection Film.

SO far, I've been PELTED by rocks (like, literally sounded like it was 'raining' stones. Thanks PennDOT and MDDOT!), and have had no appreciable damage to the glass.

Maybe it has nothing to do with the film, and I'm just lucky and wouldn't have otherwise had damage, but, just mentioning it in the event that someone would be curious to take this approach.
Can you please share more info on the glass protection film?
is it installed outside ? spec etc.
Thanks in advance

OP
OP
Noah Arc

Noah Arc

First Name
Noam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Contractor
Are you fixing vs replacing and with who (dealership vs !??)
Cant be fixed... replacement schedule September 2024. No aftermarket glass available
Sponsored