First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Barber
Our “other car” is a Volvo XC90 Recharge that has a charging cord. We have a 240v outlet in our garage and we use that Volvo cord and 40amp outlet to charge either car at home. Is this ok? It seems to work just fine as a level 2 charger, but I’m all ears. Am I missing something ? Does it really matter? Thoughts?
Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Our “other car” is a Volvo XC90 Recharge that has a charging cord. We have a 240v outlet in our garage and we use that Volvo cord and 40amp outlet to charge either car at home. Is this ok? It seems to work just fine as a level 2 charger, but I’m all ears. Am I missing something ? Does it really matter? Thoughts?
It will work fine.

Friar_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

We also have an XC90 T8 along with our R1. If you're using the EVSE that came with the Volvo then you're limited to 16 amp charging which is the maximum the Volvo can take (around 3.8 kW) regardless of the circuit size. It'll work just fine for the Rivian just a pretty slow (probably under 10 miles of range added per hour).

The better option would be to use the Rivian mobile charger or any other EVSE capable of running at 32 amps. You'll be able to charge the Volvo at its max rate and the Rivian will charge two times faster than with the Volvo charger.
Sponsored