First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
I have this random issue and I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. Once in a while (seems more lately) my charging door will not open when you touch the 3 lines no matter what I do. To get it to open I have to into the infotainment center and open if from there. but when I do that the door will not close by touch again I have to into the infotainment center and close it from there.

Anyone else experience this or know why it is happening?
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I have this random issue and I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. Once in a while (seems more lately) my charging door will not open when you touch the 3 lines no matter what I do. To get it to open I have to into the infotainment center and open if from there. but when I do that the door will not close by touch again I have to into the infotainment center and close it from there.

Mine will do this sometimes as well, but mine always seems to fail when closing.

ccmun

First Name
Silva
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T, KTM 1290
Occupation
Tech Consulting

Happened to me a few days ago. Soft reset solved the issue.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Just a guess, but if a reset doesn't fix it maybe the ground wire for the capacitive sensor is loose. Regardless, easiest to just try a soft reset, then a hard reset if that doesn't work, then make an appointment with the service center if you're still seeing the problem.

OP
OP
johstacy

johstacy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Just a guess, but if a reset doesn't fix it maybe the ground wire for the capacitive sensor is loose. Regardless, easiest to just try a soft reset, then a hard reset if that doesn't work, then make an appointment with the service center if you're still seeing the problem.
a soft reset is easy enough... are you saying this could be a software issue (bug) (feature). I doubt it is hardware related as it works most of the time.

Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
If there were a "loose connection" it would work some of the time and would fail some of the time. It doesn't hurt to do the reset - customer service would ask you to do that anyway as part of the diagnostic process. The goal is to get it working again, and a reset is something you can do yourself that might work without a service center appointment. But I think it's more likely that there's a hardware problem.

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
I had this happen to me for a few days. Just as I was going to take it in for service (pain in the ass drive to El Segundo) it started working. In the interim, I did a soft reset as well. Working like a charm since then.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Mine did this a few times after being out in the cold and snow and such. It always started working again when the truck had sat in the garage for a little. I assumed it was because the capacitive sensor (which is how I think the exterior switch works) was too cold to read my finger or whatever

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Cold isn't a problem for capacitive sensors but moisture is - moisture build up in the field of the sensor can affect the reading, which is why car wash mode disables the sensor to prevent the charger door from opening.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Does it happen after it has been sitting awhile (several hours)?

Mine does this when the vehicle is in a deep sleep. A quick open/close of one of the cabin doors and the capacitive button wakes up. If it was locked, I'd think an unlock from the app would also achieve the same end.

Sponsored

OP
OP
johstacy

johstacy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Does it happen after it has been sitting awhile (several hours)?

Mine does this when the vehicle is in a deep sleep. A quick open/close of one of the cabin doors and the capacitive button wakes up. If it was locked, I'd think an unlock from the app would also achieve the same end.
I have let it sit for about an hour then walked back out and tried it again with no luck however some have mentioned water or cold of both I have in spades at the moment. when I have time I will go out and try the soft reset to see if the resolves the issue.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Cold isn't a problem for capacitive sensors but moisture is - moisture build up in the field of the sensor can affect the reading, which is why car wash mode disables the sensor to prevent the charger door from opening.
Ah, well, at least around here the cold came with a lot of wetness. So guessing that was probably it then

(Thanks for the explanation. I have zero clue how capacitive sensors work 😅)

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Like others, I've had it happen once in the cold and wet. Seems to be a common theme.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Sometimes the sensor seems very sensitive, sometimes I have to slide my finger across it multiple times.

something else I noticed recently. The charge door will occasionally open slower than usual. Has anyone else noticed this? Makes me paranoid about my 12V…

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I have let it sit for about an hour then walked back out and tried it again with no luck however some have mentioned water or cold of both I have in spades at the moment. when I have time I will go out and try the soft reset to see if the resolves the issue.
Try simply opening the door and closing it to wake up the truck. My truck will sometimes enter a deep sleep within 30 minutes of getting home, for example, when it was a long drive and it assumes I'm done for awhile.
Sponsored