Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Did you ever get with rivian on this? Mine has the exact same sound. Rivian says it's "N"ormal, however I have ridden in 3 of my friends R1s and none of theirs does it... it drives me nuts.
Any way to post a video? The problem with noises is that the trucks do make some noise that is normal but when you get a noise that's not normal being able to differentiate can sometimes be challenging. I would post up a video if you can try to capture the noises. Then we can try to be arm chair techs and guess at it. 🤓
Sponsored

Frisbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I would suggest jacking each front tire up separately and rotating the tires in a circular motion forward and back checking for gear lash. Also move the tires laterally in and out looking for a sound similar to marbles in a metal can. The SC had difficulty diagnosing the problem when merely driving my QM R1T. I videotaped my examination and shared it with Rivian. Bad drive unit and half shafts.

tk21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Military
Clubs

I think I have about 2000 miles and this car has an insane number of squeaks, rattles and clunks but one is particularly concerning and I was wondering if anyone else has had this. When going over a speed bump or control hump I get clunking noise from the front end. The rear is fine. It's not the suspension bottoming out and I'm not moving all that fast. Almost sounds like loose struts or some sort of control arm moving around.

The shocks in general "wheeze" when going through dips. All the rotating connections in the suspension seem to squeak as if they used ungreased uni-balls or something. The plastic underbody panels rattle in the wind on the freeway and of course the dash rattles something fierce. I tried putting some foam tape in the connections becuase El Segundo is months out.

I really like the car but wow.
I had my front struts replaced at about 5k (they did it not me asking) and since the replacement I had the same clunk noises on speed bumps/man-hole covers etc (not on smooth roads). R1S went in for service yesterday and tech said they also recently changed the tech bulletin for the struts and they are going to address it at this service.

will let you know how it goes when I get it back.

UPDATE: They decided in addition to the service change on the struts, to also replace the rear lift gate latch as the solution to the noise 🤦🏼‍♂️ Didn’t hear anything in the back, but okay…. Will see as I start driving her again if anything changes up front.

Last edited:

Pops97

First Name
Pops
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I have a similar piston actuator sound on the rear suspension. It seemed to happen more when I was going slowly downhill, braking and accelerating in slow traffic, and also starting out. I think it has to do with the auto leveling and air suspension. I plan to take in as it is annoying.

Sponsored

sogorman

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1s
Occupation
Engineer
Here is a clip of me pulling into my driveway three times in a row hitting the sidewalk bump at 4-5mph. Take a listen to the last low pitched 'thunk' / 'clunk' when the front end is coming down after the upwards suspension event. I can hear it from the lower part of the car, and can feel it in my feet. It is less noticeable on video on the last attempt.

Hear and feel this going over bumps, speed bumps, pulling into parking lots, basically all day every day driving the car.

Tony R1S

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S QM 21
Interesting that you're able to capture this so clearly in your video., I have the exact same clunking thumping sounds at low speed (more noise when the suspension is recovering). I also hear lots of knocking and crunching sounds as well. I find it odd that it's so noisy, but the service techs drove the car and said no issue found. I couldn't find any good sized speed bumps near the service area to demo it. Thanks for sharing video, I'll try to do same for next service ticket.

tate16t

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Granite R1S
Occupation
Cyber Security
I believe I have the same thing going on although not as prominent. I also had this with my Tesla when I first purchased it. I think its gone now. I will check for this in the Rivian.

Does this occur on both sides? Try entering the driveway from a right and left turn.

sogorman

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1s
Occupation
Engineer
@tate16t yes it happens independently. When pulling into work every day if I hit the incline at just the right speed when making the turn I can make one side 'pop' / 'clunk'.

sogorman

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1s
Occupation
Engineer
Question for the group, and I will preface all this with the statement that I am not a mechanic or mechanically inclined, just a measly software developer trying to figure out the 'clunk' on my truck...

I jacked up the front end up and checked for play in the half shaft which I could not find any. I did see however what looks like grease leaking from what I am guessing is a bushing on the lower control arm???? (pic below).

All other bushings, and suspension connections are dry as a bone but these on both side are leaking (see the smudge mark). Thoughts? excessive on 3,000 mile truck? could these be bad and the source of the clunk?

Rivian R1T R1S Clunking sound from front end. IMG_2679
Rivian R1T R1S Clunking sound from front end. IMG_2678

Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Question for the group, and I will preface all this with the statement that I am not a mechanic or mechanically inclined, just a measly software developer trying to figure out the 'clunk' on my truck...

I jacked up the front end up and checked for play in the half shaft which I could not find any. I did see however what looks like grease leaking from what I am guessing is a bushing on the lower control arm???? (pic below).

All other bushings, and suspension connections are dry as a bone but these on both side are leaking (see the smudge mark). Thoughts? excessive on 3,000 mile truck? could these be bad and the source of the clunk?

IMG_2679.jpeg
IMG_2678.jpeg
Possibly a bad ball joint there. Submit a service request and include the picture. ball joints these days don't have zerk fittings anymore. If the lube is blown out water and corrosion are getting in. Only a matter of time. With a lift and careful application of a large pry bar one can check for play.

sogorman

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1s
Occupation
Engineer
And another video of the clunk when going over bumps / suspension events. I can get it to clunk going over this bump every day.

tate16t

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Granite R1S
Occupation
Cyber Security
I confirmed today, in terms of the clunking sound I have the same problem.

I assume you can view those ball joints without lifting the vehicle?

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Yup, my October 2022 build has the same issue. It sounds like the entire front end is going to fall off the truck when I go over speed bumps. Very annoying for such a premium priced vehicle.

sogorman

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1s
Occupation
Engineer
Yup, my October 2022 build has the same issue. It sounds like the entire front end is going to fall off the truck when I go over speed bumps. Very annoying for such a premium priced vehicle.

Did you ever take into service? Is it Normal? I just got a call back on the ticket I submitted, does not sound promising;

Rivian R1T R1S Clunking sound from front end. IMG_2688.PNG
Sponsored