Sponsored

Clunking sound from front end.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I think I have about 2000 miles and this car has an insane number of squeaks, rattles and clunks but one is particularly concerning and I was wondering if anyone else has had this. When going over a speed bump or control hump I get clunking noise from the front end. The rear is fine. It's not the suspension bottoming out and I'm not moving all that fast. Almost sounds like loose struts or some sort of control arm moving around.

The shocks in general "wheeze" when going through dips. All the rotating connections in the suspension seem to squeak as if they used ungreased uni-balls or something. The plastic underbody panels rattle in the wind on the freeway and of course the dash rattles something fierce. I tried putting some foam tape in the connections becuase El Segundo is months out.

I really like the car but wow.
Sponsored

jmtreetop

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I have had this same problem although it seems to have gotten better as more miles have been put on (currently at 7k). My noises away if it’s extremely cold (under 20). The shocks seem really clunky/clattery over smaller bumps, holes, and cracks in the road. It’s also really squeaky over curbs and speed bumps. From my testing it seems more pronounced inside the cabin than from outside. I don’t hear anything out of the rear shocks and they seem solid. I had it in for service and Rivian said it was normal. I have a second appointment coming up.

s00n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne S - Jeep LJ Rubicon - R1S
I have low speed clunking over speed humps front AND rear. It’s like a clunk-clunk (front) then a clunk-clunk (rear) as the shocks are going up and down. Assume sc will tell me it’s within spec so I’m just not bothering with it unless/until a wheel falls off. Then I’ll make a ticket

Tony R1S

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S QM 21
Yeah, got that too.. sounds like pipes rattling and bucket of rocks rolling around whenever I go over bumps. It's kind of ridiculous to hear this kind of noise from such an advanced suspension. The noise seems worse when the wheel is recovering (suspension going down) after passing over the bump. I've tried to rule out operator error by removing everything from the car and even thought it might be the separator cover in the frunk bouncing around but I've folded it up and snapped it to the magnet so it's not flapping around. The sound seems to be coming from under the dash. I've had my front drive unit replaced already, so I worry some nuts and bolts not fully tightened or installed. Could not reproduce on the smooth roads near the SC to show the tech, so will have to spend time finding some rougher roads ahead of the demo next time.

Erikbecker

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanical engineer
I think I have about 2000 miles and this car has an insane number of squeaks, rattles and clunks but one is particularly concerning and I was wondering if anyone else has had this. When going over a speed bump or control hump I get clunking noise from the front end. The rear is fine. It's not the suspension bottoming out and I'm not moving all that fast. Almost sounds like loose struts or some sort of control arm moving around.

The shocks in general "wheeze" when going through dips. All the rotating connections in the suspension seem to squeak as if they used ungreased uni-balls or something. The plastic underbody panels rattle in the wind on the freeway and of course the dash rattles something fierce. I tried putting some foam tape in the connections becuase El Segundo is months out.

I really like the car but wow.
For that clunking noise up front, especially with the lower mileage, it might be a good idea to check out the sway bar end links and bushings. They tend to wear out and can cause the kind of issues you're hearing. Also, give a once-over to the control arms and suspension components for any loose bolts.
As for the "wheezing" shocks, it could be a sign of air sneaking into the shock absorbers. Just make sure those shock seals are all good.

For the squeaking in the suspension, a silicone-based lubricant on bushings and pivot points could help alleviate the noise. Pinpoint where the squeak is coming from and give it a good dose of that lubricant.
And think about splurging on some top-notch automotive panel clips or fasteners for those rattling plastic panels. Sometimes, those stock clips wear out, contributing to the rattle. Upgrading to sturdier ones might do the trick.

Sponsored

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
Mine has done this since day one (20000 miles and almost two years). I left my truck with them for a month last fall, and they still couldn’t fix it. They replaced my shock, an upper control arm, and even retrofit the new cast front subframe to replace the original weldment front subframe. It still makes the exact same noise (basically exactly what you describe, OP). I guess it’s not the front suspension. It’s either the chassis itself, or something else loose on the front end.

Every time I drive my wife’s etron, I get very sad about how crap the Rivian suspension is.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
For that clunking noise up front, especially with the lower mileage, it might be a good idea to check out the sway bar end links and bushings. They tend to wear out and can cause the kind of issues you're hearing. Also, give a once-over to the control arms and suspension components for any loose bolts.
As for the "wheezing" shocks, it could be a sign of air sneaking into the shock absorbers. Just make sure those shock seals are all good.

For the squeaking in the suspension, a silicone-based lubricant on bushings and pivot points could help alleviate the noise. Pinpoint where the squeak is coming from and give it a good dose of that lubricant.
And think about splurging on some top-notch automotive panel clips or fasteners for those rattling plastic panels. Sometimes, those stock clips wear out, contributing to the rattle. Upgrading to sturdier ones might do the trick.
?? The R1 does not have swaybars.

Curious

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model X Plaid, Model 3 Performance
Have the same over any bumps , dips , driveway, and this weird clicking if you go down hill hit the brakes while turning, it makes a clicking sound. I live on a hill side with narrow streets, and twice while going down hill I had to hit the brakes around a blind turn as a neighbor was coming up the street….just another weird noise this quad truck make. Reminds me of back in the day when you install lowering springs… it always makes a clunk after…and never sounds solid again

tate16t

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Granite R1S
Occupation
Cyber Security
I have the clunking noise in the front drivers side. I had this same noise with my Tesla Y early on and it stopped after a while. I’m waiting to see if it goes away.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
My rattling underside panels were fixed when SC determined the clips weren’t fully seated. That one is pretty simple.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HaveBlue

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. My concern was something loose unique to my vehicle. Sounds like, pun intended, there's something in the design such as a floating piston in the strut making the noise. Hard to say then.

The under body panel is definitely a clip issue. Somebody took mine apart before delivery and the clips got bent. They are pretty flimsy. I simply put glue on the clips to reinforce and put it back. I probably voided any warranty claim by doing that but then there's constructively no warranty as waiting months and it being more costly to go to a service center back and forth multiple times than just fix it myself.

Rivian R1T R1S Clunking sound from front end. 20240213_171503

I wouldn't mind fabricating some metal panels for this position.

Curious

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model X Plaid, Model 3 Performance
Are those the under panels by the rocker? If so mine are off and sounds still remain. Took them off for running board install and did not want to cut them

OP
OP
HaveBlue

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Yes they would be where running boards would attach. I should have explained that the sound from those is at regular freeway speeds, not over bumps. The sound from the wind is a duga duga duga. I've heard this on other cars with loose plastic. Only my driver side had been molested before I got the car. It was easy to locate.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

?? The R1 does not have swaybars.
This is correct.....Kinetic roll control.

If your concerned have service check the torque on suspension components in the area where the sound is coming from.

Every R1 I have driven makes noise. This is a truck and it's heavy and has no ICE to drown out these kind of noises. Rivian needs to work on better sound isolation to reduce NVH.

sogorman

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1s
Occupation
Engineer
I have low speed clunking over speed humps front AND rear. It’s like a clunk-clunk (front) then a clunk-clunk (rear) as the shocks are going up and down. Assume sc will tell me it’s within spec so I’m just not bothering with it unless/until a wheel falls off. Then I’ll make a ticket
Did you ever get with rivian on this? Mine has the exact same sound. Rivian says it's "N"ormal, however I have ridden in 3 of my friends R1s and none of theirs does it... it drives me nuts.
Sponsored