Sponsored

Colorado Checking In

The J-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2020 BMW X5 M50
How much was the "Vendor Fee" that they charged you? For future reference, to what source does one refer to prove this fee does not apply in CO?
Thanks for reporting back on your experience. You've done a great service to us Colorado purchasers.
There were three line items ending in "use tax vendor fee" totaling about $110.

When a retailer (Rivian) collects sales tax from a customer (you), the retailer (Rivian) is entitled to a "vendor fee." The state essentially allows the vendor (Rivian) to keep a portion of the sales tax charged to you to offset their costs in collecting and remitting it. The fact that this was showing up as a charge on customer purchase summaries means one of two things:

1.) Rivian's tax department has a fundamental misunderstanding of how sales tax works.
2.) Something has gone extremely haywire in Rivian's accounting systems.
3.) Combination of the above.

In Colorado, the taxes should be your total purchase price multiplied by the tax rate at your primary address.

The total purchase price includes the $1075 destination fee and $225 documentation fee. For example:

Base Price: $70,000
Options: $5,000
Accessories: $1,000
Destination: $1,075
Documentation Fee: $225
Total purchase price subject to tax: $77,300
Tax Rate at your address: 8.50%
Total sales taxes: $6,570.50

You can prove your total tax rate by inputting your address at the following link. This is a State of Colorado certified database.

Here is the link.
https://colorado.ttr.services/

If the math doesn't work out, or if there are any other charges on your purchase summary, be skeptical.
Sponsored

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
Hey Denver people! I'll be in town tomorrow and scheduled my first mile drive. Anyone been by the service center lately? Any chance theres an R1S?

The J-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2020 BMW X5 M50
Hey Denver people! I'll be in town tomorrow and scheduled my first mile drive. Anyone been by the service center lately? Any chance theres an R1S?
I was there on Sunday. Definitely no R1S. They had about 12 or so R1Ts sitting outside.

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

All this talk about total vehicle cost had me thinking about the CO tax credit. Has anyone figured out if the T and S will qualify for the $3500 CO EV tax credit or if they fall under the $2500 rebate?

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

All this talk about total vehicle cost had me thinking about the CO tax credit. Has anyone figured out if the T and S will qualify for the $3500 CO EV tax credit or if they fall under the $2500 rebate?
Alongside that...did Rivian have folks do the paperwork to take it off the purchase price or do buyers need to do it at tax time? It's an option for dealers to collect it and a single form...I did that with my MINI purchase.

Sponsored

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Last I heard is it qualifies for the $3,500. But, haven't researched it myself.
Alongside that...did Rivian have folks do the paperwork to take it off the purchase price or do buyers need to do it at tax time? It's an option for dealers to collect it and a single form...I did that with my MINI purchase.
Was not an option to have it taken off by Rivian at time of sale, at least for me.

Aardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
The option of rebate in lieu of tax credit is a utility option only being offered at this time by Xcel Energy. For everyone else, the tax credit is the only option.

RVXIAN

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Sales
Rivian qualifies for 3,500 since it’s coming over the 8500 GVWR. It comes in at 8535. The 3500 is only until the end of the year then decreases.

lg3103

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mini SE
Occupation
Director
Last I heard is it qualifies for the $3,500. But, haven't researched it myself.

Was not an option to have it taken off by Rivian at time of sale, at least for me.
same, they took it straight off our MINI SE, hope Rivian can too by OCT-DEC RIS delivery :)

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I think only a few manufacturers are offering up front, I know Nissan does as well but VW and Rivian did not.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

WOOHOO! My First Mile Event demo is scheduled for this Saturday.

EDIT:

Yesterday I looked at the website code for my account on Rivian.com. I saw that the delivery address was set for my old address in Denton, TX. When I first ordered, that address as auto populated by my Mac. I went back in a couple days later and changed it to my current address in Erie.

I contacted support and asked them to review my shipping address. They reported back that my shipping address was for Erie, CO. However, today (the next day) I'm invited to the First Mile Demo drive. Coincidence?

It'll be interesting to see if my truck delivery moves up..

Last edited:

odingrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Also, for an additional point on the Registration Fees question. I'm a disabled veteran so I don't pay registration on any one vehicle I own. Obviously, I'll put those plates on this new truck. So...I'm definitely not wanting to pay Rivian anything for registration then I work the swap of my DV plates from my Gladiator to the R1T. Hopefully by the time they get to me, they'll have this worked out...
I just went through this. They will automatically add it, I mentioned I had disabled veteran plates that don't charge registration, so she had me send some pictures of the plates and registration and is having the team remove it.

Last edited:

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
I just went through this. They will automatically add it, I mentioned I had disabled veteran plates that don't charge registration, so she had me send some pictures of the plates and registration and is having the team remove it.
That is great to know...thanks much for sharing your experience! I will certainly do as you've suggested!

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
WOOHOO! My First Mile Event demo is scheduled for this Saturday.

EDIT:

Yesterday I looked at the website code for my account on Rivian.com. I saw that the delivery address was set for my old address in Denton, TX. When I first ordered, that address as auto populated by my Mac. I went back in a couple days later and changed it to my current address in Erie.

I contacted support and asked them to review my shipping address. They reported back that my shipping address was for Erie, CO. However, today (the next day) I'm invited to the First Mile Demo drive. Coincidence?

It'll be interesting to see if my truck delivery moves up..
Congrats! Yesterday I also finally received my invite to schedule a drive! I pushed mine out to 7/30 so a friend of mine could go with. Just as I was settling in for a long wait and not thinking as much about it, they pull me back in💪🏼

Bassface

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Limestone R1T Quad
Occupation
UX Research
Clubs

Congrats! Yesterday I also finally received my invite to schedule a drive! I pushed mine out to 7/30 so a friend of mine could go with. Just as I was settling in for a long wait and not thinking as much about it, they pull me back in💪🏼
Be sure to schedule a time of day when you can do a highway drive. I stupidly scheduled my test drive for 4pm.... unfortunately I-70 was bumper to bumper. So I didn't get to see how the R1T handles at highway speeds. Bummed :-(
Sponsored