First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Analyst
I was in a situation yesterday where I had to flip to Conserve mode to get home but noticed that the maps does not calculate based on the extended range - it remained with the mileage as though I was in Standard. So the car kept on warning me about having limited charging locations and persistently trying to reroute me to the most ‘efficient’ route to conserve energy.

Annoying that in conserve mode I had to “remove charging stops” even though conserve gave me plenty of extra miles to make it home and also have my phone with Google Maps on it in parallel as the car kept on taking me on alternate more efficient routes. Side note, one route the Rivian wanted to take me on added 10 mins longer journey compared to Google Maps - that’s a lot on a 90 mins drive

I had to do mental gymnastics between the battery range in conserve and the miles to get home to try to figure out whether I was good.

I also noticed that when sitting at an Electrify America charger, I wasn’t getting any kind of messaging to tell me that I’d achieved the level of charge to get me home - as though it was always assuming I wanted to fill up to my charging limit rather than the energy I needed to get home. At 5x the cost of my electricity at home, that’s not the most ‘efficient’.

I will admit that since moving from the Y to Rivian, my range anxiety is virtually non existent but when doing a road trip a few hours from home, that range anxiety crept back in with my Rivian.

Is that the experience everyone else is having? Any tips??
Sponsored

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I was in a situation yesterday where I had to flip to Conserve mode to get home but noticed that the maps does not calculate based on the extended range - it remained with the mileage as though I was in Standard. So the car kept on warning me about having limited charging locations and persistently trying to reroute me to the most ‘efficient’ route to conserve energy.

Annoying that in conserve mode I had to “remove charging stops” even though conserve gave me plenty of extra miles to make it home and also have my phone with Google Maps on it in parallel as the car kept on taking me on alternate more efficient routes. Side note, one route the Rivian wanted to take me on added 10 mins longer journey compared to Google Maps - that’s a lot on a 90 mins drive

I had to do mental gymnastics between the battery range in conserve and the miles to get home to try to figure out whether I was good.

I also noticed that when sitting at an Electrify America charger, I wasn’t getting any kind of messaging to tell me that I’d achieved the level of charge to get me home - as though it was always assuming I wanted to fill up to my charging limit rather than the energy I needed to get home. At 5x the cost of my electricity at home, that’s not the most ‘efficient’.

I will admit that since moving from the Y to Rivian, my range anxiety is virtually non existent but when doing a road trip a few hours from home, that range anxiety crept back in with my Rivian.

Is that the experience everyone else is having? Any tips??
try to put SOC remains at 0% instead of 10% and see if that would change the route?

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Have not road tripped in a few months, but I remember it will pop up a brief message telling you the target charge % you need to the next stop, when you arrive at the charger. But once you start charging, that target message goes away, it is not persistent, so you have to pay attention.

I did a trip Phoenix-Tahoe-Phoenix last August, mostly in conserve. It was always routing me to chargers too early and telling me I could not make it. I had set my target down to 15% at each stop, but even then it would tell me I could not make it.
Sponsored