Sponsored

Court hears Buick dealer bid to kill Rivian service center

inconceivable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
The zoning approval for the site to be used by Rivian for a service center by the City of Shelton is a settled matter. Next, Rivian must obtain a vehicle repair business license from the Connecticut DMV Commissioner. If granted by the commissioner, watch for dealer interests to challenge that license approval in court.
Thank you for following this and providing the updates and insights!!

I still find it absurd that we have these terrible dealer laws in CT that even allow for these legal delays and challenges. Imagine if there was a law saying Apple couldn’t sell you an iPhone, you needed to buy it from a middle man like Best Buy! Unbelievable. 🙄
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

Belem

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Adventure, 1986 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16
I don't know anything about any of this except that I think it's hilarious that a BUICK dealer is concerned about a loss of sales.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Not sure it is required, Buick is really struggling right now down over 40% year over year in 2022.
It's not necessary for them to use the law to harass a legitimate business either. One good turn deserves another. Park your Rivians right out front with a huge sign that says this dealer wants to make sure my truck can't be serviced.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jac

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I don't know anything about any of this except that I think it's hilarious that a BUICK dealer is concerned about a loss of sales.
Same family also owns GMC, Cadillac and Nissan dealerships. No idea why their Buick dealership was chosen to be the plaintiff in the court challenge to the city’s zoning approval for Rivian’s service center.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
Same family also owns GMC, Cadillac and Nissan dealerships. No idea why their Buick dealership was chosen to be the plaintiff in the court challenge to the city’s zoning approval for Rivian’s service center.
Probably because Buick is dying anyways so if that dealership gets a black eye from running this legal harassment campaign they're hoping that people won't link it to the other dealerships.

OP
OP
Jac

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

It's not necessary for them to use the law to harass a legitimate business either. One good turn deserves another. Park your Rivians right out front with a huge sign that says this dealer wants to make sure my truck can't be serviced.
Maybe in front of this dealership would be a good location for a future Northeast Rivian Club meet up?

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
Maybe in front of this dealership would be a good location for a future Northeast Rivian Club meet up?
I think so. Maybe some big poster board signs saying "This dealer is blocking my truck from being serviced" or "This dealer is afraid of competition" on the side of said Rivians

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
They should probably add in that they could maybe possibly sell people cocaine if they have a service center, which I'm assuming is also illegal under CT law
Don'y you think pot would be a better fit for Rivian.

Sponsored

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Probably because Buick is dying anyways so if that dealership gets a black eye from running this legal harassment campaign they're hoping that people won't link it to the other dealerships.
Sort of like trying to drag Rivian down with them as they go down. Lol!

OP
OP
Jac

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

OP
OP
Jac

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Delay, delay delay.

The Buick dealership’s delay tactics continue - In the latest news, Rivian responds to the Buick Dealer’s argument to the Court of Appeals seeking to reverse the Superior Court’s earlier finding that the Buick dealer lacked legal standing to challenge a zoning approval to allow a Rivian Service Center to be opened in Shelton Connecticut.

https://appellateinquiry.jud.ct.gov/DocumentDisplayer.aspx?AppId=2&DocId=nOqwrJddMQzww3SO+1mArQ==
The appeal is based on the frivolous notion that a land use permit for Rivian to “service vehicles” somehow magically grants the right to sell vehicles. Complete waste of time. I hope Rivian recoups all costs incurred to defend against this and every other dumb dealer lobby political ploys.

Aren’t dealers selling and servicing makes other than their own franchise offerings? Maybe Rivian needs to challenge dealer practices using their own anti-competitive arguments.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

This whole thing just makes me sick to my stomach. Politics at its finest.

Brian
Sponsored