Sponsored

CyberTruck is more than Stainless Steel...Tesla excels at Engineering in so many ways.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
I assume you are talking about the Beast Mode configuration. That starts at 100k and not sure what options from there. Not sure what tires these numbers are for so the fair comparison would have to be to compare the numbers as reported with the standard tires.

Rivian Quad Large 87k
CT Beast Mode. 100k

Range
Rivian 328
Ct 320

Speed
Rivian 3.0 0-60 /314 top speed
CT 2.6 with rollout deducted probably 2.8 / 130 top speed

Onboard power, not even close CT has this

The rest on your list is speculative, would need to test drive to see. I know my Model S has held up pretty well but has more squeaks than my R1S.

CT is not for me but hope Tesla does well with it for the employees and investors. Market seemed pretty flat on release news.
$rivn up 7.5%!
Sponsored

CTRedCanyon

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model S, Kia Telluride
Occupation
Self Employed IT
Clubs

I have a Tesla Model S. The build quality is total junk, as is the estimated vs real world range.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T FG/FE 20" AT Dark
Drive by wire is probably o.k. for piloting a large watercraft. I'll just let that one hang out there for a bit...

But reviewers of some of the current systems found them very odd. Imagine slowing down quickly (e.g. spirited driving) and having the steering ratio change to "parking lot mode". It's not good.

All this "CT is better at doing x" talk needs to be seriously qualified by actual reviews. I expect the CT will do o.k., and software can be used to improve both the CT and RT over time.
Yup, steering being predictable is a VERY important thing.

Sponsored

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Not sure what tires these numbers are for so the fair comparison would have to be to compare the numbers as reported with the standard tires.

Rivian Quad Large 87k
CT Beast Mode. 100k
Yep, that's fair. I had assumed AT tires were standard, but that might not be the case. That said, in terms of pricing I do think the powered tonneau cover and the underbody protection is standard on the CT, but it's not on the R1T and not factored into the 87K. I'm not sure what the eventual R1T powered cover cost is going to be when it's available again and the underbody only comes with the AT wheels, so maybe that's an extra ~$5K for the R1T?

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I'm brand agnostic. As long as the car appeals to me, I don't care particularly what the badge is. What little exposure I've had with Teslas, I've come away impressed. However, the CT is visually off-putting to me. I just can't get beyond that. It's subjective but design is fundamentally important to me.

Sponsored

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

TigerWuxia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad
Although Cybertruck's look is polarizing, I must say it is a great piece of engineering work.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I don't think this is what the poster meant.

There is difference between simply having a 48VDC battery versus a 48VDC Auxiliary battery system.

That being said I personally would have only compared it to other EV's as the 12VDC battery tends to be a weakness in EV's. Back when I owned a Tesla a number of owners having issues with that battery, and I've seen the same thing with Rivian. At least in the early days.

Hopefully the 48VDC battery leads to less issues with the AUX system on EV's.

Golfer04

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Finance
No product can have everything and be under six figures.

With that being said, if I got to choose the only features I'd really want Rivian to adopt are the heat pump, 800v/350kW charging, and the stronger glass.

Four wheel steering and steer by wire are great, but the R1T already handles very well and has a pretty solid turning radius for a truck.

There were many afterthoughts on the Cybertruck for things like the spare, front truck, wiper, etc. there is also some random wasted hollow space below the bed. It lacks a rearview mirror and the tonneau cover blocks the rear glass when closed.

The body also looks like it is going to be very, very hot to the touch in the summer. It lacks door handles, what happens when it's freezing outside, the door gets stuck and you have nothing to pull on?

There are a lot of inherent issues with the design. I like that Tesla pushed the envelope quite a bit but Elon tied their hands.

It'll sell to people who aren't really truck people for the most part, but I wish they had made a product that was more mass market appeal to get some of these gas guzzlers off of the road.

I've said it before, but I don't hate Tesla or the CT. Just trying to be objective about it.
I would also like a power tonneau that worked. I'm not sure how many "truck people" are buying Rivian R1Ts either (although I am one). If it was our farms only truck I wouldn't own it. It is a drive around vehicle not a work truck. CT might be more of a work truck than Rivian, but definitely less than my diesel F150 I sold to get my Riv.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T FG/FE 20" AT Dark
I would also like a power tonneau that worked. I'm not sure how many "truck people" are buying Rivian R1Ts either (although I am one). If it was our farms only truck I wouldn't own it. It is a drive around vehicle not a work truck. CT might be more of a work truck than Rivian, but definitely less than my diesel F150 I sold to get my Riv.
This is where the CT fails the most IMO. It's not the best truck for any one segment besides being a Tesla Stan.

If you need a work truck, the lighting is a much better truck.

If you need an around town weekend warrior truck (probably the largest truck segment) ... The Rivian is functionally better. Same with adventure truck.

If you need a hardcore work truck or heavy towing truck, none of the EVs will replace the appropriate ICE trucks yet.
Sponsored