Sponsored

Cybertruck reveals new triangle mirrors (removable) in Palo Alto sighting šŸ“øšŸŽ„ (video)

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Yes, Iā€™m aware of the status of the truck in this thread. And Iā€™m aware that we do not actually know how close to production it is. And Iā€™m aware that we have no idea if thereā€™s another light that would operate as the third brake light when the gate is down. For example, 911ā€™s have a redundant light that takes over when the rear aero is active.

Thereā€™s a lot of assumptions in this thread. And Iā€™m sticking with that Tesla is simply not so full of morons that a forum would outthink them from one picture.
According to Tesla they are starting limited production and deliveries later this year and mass production starts in 2024.

The photo you see is captured from a recent video:
https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...ving-video-from-tesla-cyber-rodeo-event.6016/

I think you are mistaking mockery for something more serious. It wouldnā€™t matter if, where another brake light is located - itā€™s a monstrosity and will only be attractive to Tesla fanboys. Which is fine! They are free to spend their money on whatever they want just like Iā€™m free to come here and make fun of it šŸ˜‰
Sponsored

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
The CT delay is likely, at least partly, the need for the structural battery pack. The Austin model Y can take either the new 4680 pack or the older, smaller cell version. That vehicle has no weight savings with the structural pack and is incomplete. Tesla likely can not build CT with with the same flexibility

Regardless of looks the CT will be a generation advanced compared to the R1.

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
According to Tesla they are starting limited production and deliveries later this year and mass production starts in 2024.

The photo you see is captured from a recent video:
https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...ving-video-from-tesla-cyber-rodeo-event.6016/

I think you are mistaking mockery for something more serious. It wouldnā€™t matter if, where another brake light is located - itā€™s a monstrosity and will only be attractive to Tesla fanboys. Which is fine! They are free to spend their money on whatever they want just like Iā€™m free to come here and make fun of it šŸ˜‰
Ok, well if shifting the context of what many have written in the thread is what weā€™re doing, youā€™re right, I donā€™t understand. I mentioned that the lights would be addressed, and they will. I mentioned that the size will be addressed, and it will. I would wager substantial amounts on both of these, but I am aware that wager would be a gamble. I did not mention the look of the truck in any way.

But I am not mistaken in what Iā€™ve read or stated. And I am well aware of the status of pretty much all CT news. And if mocking an aspect that I am 100% positive is unknown to anyone outside of Tesla (size or lighting) is fun, by all means go for it. It strikes me as an odd stance, but as mentioned, anyone can feel free to do so.

Regardless, weā€™d all be foolish to underestimate the CT in any way other than the subjective aspect of style. The rest is unknown and thereā€™s a very high likelihood that the vehicle will outperform its competitors in many aspects, given Teslaā€™s history.

Mister Person

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius
Clubs

I honestly think the design inspiration is more from Ralph McQuarrie's vehicle concepts than anything. I sort of admire the guts it takes to try to build and sell this thing at scale, but it just looks wrong to me. Won't it be incredibly dangerous for pedestrians and other drivers in a crash? And the "exoskeleton" steel looks terrible to me, wavy and inconsistent. To each their own but I find it really unattractive.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Ok, well if shifting the context of what many have written in the thread is what weā€™re doing, youā€™re right, I donā€™t understand. I mentioned that the lights would be addressed, and they will. I mentioned that the size will be addressed, and it will. I would wager substantial amounts on both of these, but I am aware that wager would be a gamble. I did not mention the look of the truck in any way.

But I am not mistaken in what Iā€™ve read or stated. And I am well aware of the status of pretty much all CT news. And if mocking an aspect that I am 100% positive is unknown to anyone outside of Tesla (size or lighting) is fun, by all means go for it. It strikes me as an odd stance, but as mentioned, anyone can feel free to do so.

Regardless, weā€™d all be foolish to underestimate the CT in any way other than the subjective aspect of style. The rest is unknown and thereā€™s a very high likelihood that the vehicle will outperform its competitors in many aspects, given Teslaā€™s history.
So you maintain that just months before actual production is supposed to start and the ACTUAL production line is assembled and producing the beta versions we are seeing this week, they will retool that line and shrink this truck to be smaller than It currently is?

I do assume they must have another brake light somewhere in the design already and we just donā€™t see it. That is a far different than the size of the truck.

Doesnā€™t it seem even a little bit odd to you that no actual specs for this have been released? Musk has given conflicting statements about the sizing, first saying they were going to make it smaller, then saying that wasnā€™t going to happen, now saying they did make it slightly smaller than the 2019 version. He has also said it can be used as a boat and their website claims it can pull ā€œnear infinite massā€, so he has little to no credibility as a source of information.

Sponsored

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So you maintain that just months before actual production is supposed to start and the ACTUAL production line is assembled and producing the beta versions we are seeing this week, they will retool that line and shrink this truck to be smaller than It currently is?

I do assume they must have another brake light somewhere in the design already and we just donā€™t see it. That is a far different than the size of the truck.

Doesnā€™t it seem even a little bit odd to you that no actual specs for this have been released? Musk has given conflicting statements about the sizing, first saying they were going to make it smaller, then saying that wasnā€™t going to happen, now saying they did make it slightly smaller than the 2019 version. He has also said it can be used as a boat and their website claims it can pull ā€œnear infinite massā€, so he has little to no credibility as a source of information.
What I maintain are 2 things.

1. We do not know the size. I maintain this because we do not know.
2. Tesla is not dumb.

With those two items in mind, I'm drawing the following conclusions.

1. It is impossible to gauge size from the latest videos and photos. When allowing for bias to creep in due to the OLD sizing of the vehicle, then it's easy to jump to that the truck is a monster sized vehicle. I do not think this will be accurate in that I do not think the CT will largely outsize an F150 for example.

2. A distaste for all that is Elon from whomever does not mean that they have put this much time, effort, planning, and development into something that will not hardly fit on the road. I find that to be a foolish assumption. Particularly since the rough sizing of the truck has been speculated on many, many times now, even to the tune of possibly 2 different sized CT's. Tesla NEEDS to sell these things, they do not need to limit their market unnecessarily and I do not believe they will do so. Again, aside from polarizing design, which is subjective.

Tesla should never be underestimated, that's all I'm saying. And I read a lot of assumptions on size and lighting in the thread and it struck me as odd to think Tesla paid no or little attention to these aspects when developing the truck. They did, that's guaranteed. And the CT will be a formidable competitor for ever other brand on the road, I'm very confident in that.

And BTW, I do agree, it's ugly. But I will keep my order placed and see what is actually delivered in the coming months.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
The CT you see in this thread is not a concept anymore. Itā€™s a pre production truck so the brake lights being on the tailgate is likely their plan. Which, as others pointed out will not be seen at all if someone is driving with long items in the bed that require the gate to be down.

Each person can make their own conclusions about that. ā€œMoronā€ is one word that applies IMHO.
There are two sets of lights: one on the outside of the tailgate and one on the inside of the tailgate. This is not news. It has been like this since day 1. Still the same.

Rivian R1T R1S Cybertruck reveals new triangle mirrors (removable) in Palo Alto sighting šŸ“øšŸŽ„ (video) evpost_74-3714287359

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3

2. Tesla is not dumb.
We sorta do know the size. It started at 231 inches long or 1.7 inches shorter than an F150 lightning. It will be a "few percent" smaller than that. So we do not know the exact dimensions until the reveal (probably on March 1 Investor day) it is going to be slightly smaller than the F150 lightning. It is teh same size or slightly smaller than a full-sized super crew 5'5" bed pickup This has not changed.

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
We sorta do know the size. It started at 231 inches long or 1.7 inches shorter than an F150 lightning. It will be a "few percent" smaller than that. So we do not know the exact dimensions until the reveal (probably on March 1 Investor day) it is going to be slightly smaller than the F150 lightning. It is teh same size or slightly smaller than a full-sized super crew 5'5" bed pickup This has not changed.
Hmmm...I stated we do not know the size. And, per your comment and all relevant facts, we do not. I did not state we are not able to assume the general size. As I noted repeatedly in my posts above, I agree with your sentiment that it will be a more appropriate size for a road-going vehicle.

It actually has changed from the original concept, per @COdogman 's points. It was massive when Elon first drove it around Malibu a few years back. There is an early concept at the Petersen Museum right now that is also massive. Now, per your points, it is not massive in "production" form. But we do not know the size in a factual sense.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

2. Tesla is not dumb.

With those two items in mind, I'm drawing the following conclusions.

1. It is impossible to gauge size from the latest videos and photos. When allowing for bias to creep in due to the OLD sizing of the vehicle, then it's easy to jump to that the truck is a monster sized vehicle. I do not think this will be accurate in that I do not think the CT will largely outsize an F150 for example.

2. A distaste for all that is Elon from whomever does not mean that they have put this much time, effort, planning, and development into something that will not hardly fit on the road. I find that to be a foolish assumption. Particularly since the rough sizing of the truck has been speculated on many, many times now, even to the tune of possibly 2 different sized CT's. Tesla NEEDS to sell these things, they do not need to limit their market unnecessarily and I do not believe they will do so. Again, aside from polarizing design, which is subjective.

Tesla should never be underestimated, that's all I'm saying. And I read a lot of assumptions on size and lighting in the thread and it struck me as odd to think Tesla paid no or little attention to these aspects when developing the truck. They did, that's guaranteed. And the CT will be a formidable competitor for ever other brand on the road, I'm very confident in that.

And BTW, I do agree, it's ugly. But I will keep my order placed and see what is actually delivered in the coming months.
I donā€™t think anyone here is underestimating Tesla. Many of the people here criticizing the CT are current or former owners of Tesla vehicles. Some are also preorder holders of the CT like yourself, waiting to see the final specs, pricing before they decide if itā€™s something they want. I personally think the CT is a mess and dislike Elon but I also know that regardless of that it will sell fairly well, even if itā€™s only to the true Tesla fanboys. There are quite a few of those folks after allā€¦

To your points:
1. We may not know the specs, but we are looking at the size of it. We see it with our own eyes and how large it is in relation to the people and other vehicles, things around it. To my eye it looks slightly smaller than the original from 2019 which looked longer than the F150, but we also know Musk has recently said it will be 82ā€ wide. Without actual numbers we can still safely estimate it is a full size truck. If there is going to be 2 sizes, itā€™s also safe to assume the smaller version wonā€™t be released for some time since the only place the smaller version currently exists is conceptual drawings.

2. I donā€™t recall anyone here saying Tesla is ā€œdumbā€. They almost single handedly pushed EVs into the mainstream and despite my criticisms of Musk, is something I think all of us here can appreciate and respect. But that does not mean they wonā€™t have a flop at some point. No company gets it right every time And that is especially true in the auto industry. So assuming this will be a success just because Teslaā€™s previous vehicles have been is also premature. The CT obviously has a much more polarizing design than anything they have created to this point. Combine that with Muskā€™s genetic predisposition to lie about nearly everything and you might have a recipe for their first failure here. It could also be a huge hit. As you say, no one knows.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
There are two sets of lights: one on the outside of the tailgate and one on the inside of the tailgate. This is not news. It has been like this since day 1. Still the same.

evpost_74-3714287359.jpeg
Ah, thank you. Not sure how practical that is since no one from the side can see the blinker at all, but they are there.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y

Same with me.

The CT bed volume is likely 2x the R1T, which I would find useful.

My primary concern with Rivian is financial viability. 2023 should have been the year of the production ramp, which apparently isn't happening.

From photos I ca't see myself owning a CT. But perhaps I will feel different once the vehicle starts appearing on the road.

I don't care for the front of the R1T either, but I don't expect embarrassment driving it.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Same with me.

The CT bed volume is likely 2x the R1T, which I would find useful.

My primary concern with Rivian is financial viability. 2023 should have been the year of the production ramp, which apparently isn't happening.

From photos I ca't see myself owning a CT. But perhaps I will feel different once the vehicle starts appearing on the road.

I don't care for the front of the R1T either, but I don't expect embarrassment driving it.
We're literally 35 days into the year. :facepalm:
Sponsored