Damaged Upon Delivery?!

RyanH626

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
About 10 minutes after driving off the lot in our new R1S, we noticed a crack in the plastic of the center consul. The crack was in the middle of the drivers side phone charging cord passthrough. Then, we noticed black stains on the headliner of the trunk.

The issues were repaired/replaced at no charge but, this is a new car! Why was there already damage and why wasn’t it caught and fixed BEFORE we picked it up?

Any one else have issues like this or just our luck?

This is of course in addition to the car stalling in the middle of the freeway 13 days after picking it up because of a bad inverter.
Rivian R1T R1S Damaged Upon Delivery?! 73800420451__6D429083-A67D-4971-80DF-AA1CFDA581CE
Rivian R1T R1S Damaged Upon Delivery?! 73800407624__14D9A363-9BB2-4852-84F7-A6B4F803EE80
Rivian R1T R1S Damaged Upon Delivery?! IMG_3872
Sponsored

Rae11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S 2024 Quad
I don’t think we should attack people for posting things like this.

To OP, I agree. It’s not acceptable and if it happened to me, I’d be equally disappointed.

I haven’t experienced this and we picked up an R1S the other week. There is clearly a lack of quality control. The service center should have caught these things during prep before delivery. Glad they fixed things up. But yea, I completely understand that it shouldn’t happen, especially multiple things.

The R1S is a great vehicle. It’s not common to have this happen in the way you’ve experienced. So yea, I’d put it down to some bad luck.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
This happens to every manufacture.

Rivian already fixed this and you're still making this post?
Hasn't happened to any new vehicle I have ever purchased...

Whatever happened to OP truck was clearly known by someone in the process and a conscious decision to pass it thru....which should not ever be acceptable to Rivian management.

For the future of Rivian it is imperative they deal with these types of things and eliminate them making it to the customer. Both to remove this type of work from service centers backlogs but also for overall brand reputation.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

It has to me. It's also funny how the same people are constantly negative about Rivian on this forum....really interesting....

Sponsored

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
I mean... is it a low quality employee problem at the manufacturing plant... or just management not giving assembly line workers, or post production workers the time to fix things like this.? Does Rivian expect pre-delivery inspections to catch items like this and fix them, but the constant rush at the SC's let's things fall through the cracks?

In my case, SC employees seem pretty laid back and I've never seen anybody running around. They have always been nice to talk to and at least seem receptive to your questions and concerns. At the same time, I had service damage my vehicle and then when finally fixed, I drove an hour to see a dirty car, more damage added and the obvious fact that no one took the time to actually look at the repairs attempted before they called to say it was done.

Maybe the person calling you, should be required to do a walk around with a checklist before they ever pick up the phone to call a customer?

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
It has to me. It's also funny how the same people are constantly negative about Rivian on this forum....really interesting....
I hold them responsible to improve their business in the interest of success. You give them a pass for poor performance.

I often state my Rivian is the best vehicle I have ever owned. And plan to keep it a long time...even might get a new G2 QM when they become available. Hold a reservation for a R2. Have over 40k on my G1 R1 QM and love every mile. But that said....the single biggest gripe I have with the brand....is my fear of needing another significant service visit. My last any only went pretty bad. Probably worst I have had in all my years of vehicle ownership.

But to pretend Rivian service is as good as others and good enough....is not how I would approach the business. Maybe it will work.....the product is that good. But to me....a new vehicle should not ever be delivered with broken parts that were passed over by an installer or a headliner full of who knows what. Just shouldn't happen.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Welcome to a start up.

How many times does this need to be covered?

Also, they are improving IMO. The biggest issues still seems to be the service on the coasts.

OP
OP

RyanH626

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
And when it has happened to you, I can only assume that you were totally cool with it and kept your mouth shut about it? Or did you hold the company accountable and make them fix it?

I’ll say again that Rivian took the issues seriously and fixed them. But when I paid $85k for a car, it better be handed over to me absolutely perfect.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

And when it has happened to you, I can only assume that you were totally cool with it and kept your mouth shut about it? Or did you hold the company accountable and make them fix it?

I’ll say again that Rivian took the issues seriously and fixed them. But when I paid $85k for a car, it better be handed over to me absolutely perfect.
With a BMW. They also fixed it.

It happens, especially with a start up.

You did hold them accountable and THEY FIXED IT.

People continue to talk about the price of the vehicle and compare them to legacy dealership based manufactures...which they are not.

Sponsored

shopaholic

First Name
Gopal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, Porsche Cayman S
Occupation
Retired
I normally don’t respond to this stuff, but…….
That’s what a forum is for sharing info, not just for fanboys. No, this never happened to me in 20+ autos I bought and it’s not excusable. Rivian should have done better QA before delivery.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Clubs

I think everyone would be frustrated with finding that in a brand new vehicle, no matter the brand. And it does happen with other brands as well...

It is odd to me to create multiple threads about things that were already handled. Especially since you claim to have found this damage first, yet waited until now - after your breakdown was resolved - to share it. Why not just put this in the original thread? The point would have been made.

CANCERDOC

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S PDM
Occupation
Healthcare
Pre delivery inspection is extremely poor for Rivian. Owners are essentially beta testers. You are lucky you’ve gotten your issues addressed. Many owners who find trim problems or missing items at delivery are asked to schedule a service appt and the only slots are three months in the future. And even if you drop off the vehicle it will sit for weeks before it is even looked at. Such is the cost of a young company looking to sell more vehicles than they can service.
Sponsored