Sponsored

Deep breaths and bright siding. What can you live with/ without?

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
To stay within the same budget, I'll need wait until 2024 :( and:

* Switch from Adventure to Explore
-No Meridian sound
-No camp speaker
-No wood dash and badging
-No ventilated seats
-No passenger lumbar,
-No power/any tonneau cover

* Switch from quad-motor to dual-motor. :(

* Switch to 21" wheels :(

* No spare tire :(

* Lose all giddiness and enthusiasm for the Rivian brand. :crying:
Sponsored

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
To anyone thinking that for 2023 or 2024 estimated deliveries that the price they see today and the date they see are the ones that will happen...
Fool me once...

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

I *REALLY* don't want a black interior, so sadly, keeping that add-on.
The rolling in of tow hooks to LE means I can remove off-road kit.
May remove the spare tire.
Removing the off-road recovery kit. Ain't worth $600. Will get an aftermarket $300 kit.
Snowboard/ski mount went up, but it went up on Yakima's own website, too, so that at least makes sense.

The big question is how much a second set of wheels+tires will cost. I opted for the 20"+All-Terrain, with the plan that those would be for both the occasional off-roading plus cheaper wheels to get winter tires for than the 21" road; but also buy a set of 21" Road for towing road trips, since I don't want the 15% efficiency hit of the 20" when towing. But if the second set will go up by multiple hundred dollars, I may just go for the 21" only.

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I can probably live without the Tank Turning. Yeah, the quad motor's high HP/Torque was enticing, but I honestly only wanted it 'cause of Tank Turn. Dual motor will more than suffice for my needs. Powered Tonneau cover is another feature I don't need. I was looking forward towards Limestone/Green interior, but I can settle for Silver/Black as I live in FL (sun is killer down here). The hardest decision will be the wait on Max pack and what direction Rivian will take once graphene and solid state batteries come to fruition.

Edit: I went in and reconfigured a R1T to what I used to spec out and to the new changes -
- kept the Adventure package
- dropped quad-motor for dual-motor
- kept the Large battery pack
- change colors from Limestone/Green to Silver/Black
- kept the off-road package upgrade (underside plate protection + tow hooks)
- kept the full spare tire (21's)
- opted for the manual tonneau cover (vs the powered version it originally came with)
- kept the Cargo Crossbars
- kept the All-weather floor mats and off-road recovery kit

My original configuration was high end $79k. With the new changes is raised it to $84,850. Roughly a $5k difference. I like the change from auto to manual tonneau covers. Less parts to worry about. The only thing I will regret giving up is the color options. Yeah the price hike sucks, but to me and what I want from a R1T, the $5k difference isn't back breaking. Regarding not getting All-terrains. I can always pick up a set later on as more EV friendly options become available. Those Scorpions cannot be the only choices we'll be regulated to in the future.
I agree on the tonneau - I was actually not sorry to see that go. I’ve never had a bed cover on my Tacoma and done just fine. And as you said about tires, if there happened to be more tire/ wheel choices by 2024 that would be another way to possibly save *some* $ by buying aftermarket. Unfortunately that still means waiting till 2024 and still paying more for the truck you just stripped down.

Plus - and this is actually the biggest concern of mine at this point. How much more will Rivian raise prices between now and then. They showed yesterday they truly can’t be trusted. I don’t ever trust corporations to do the right thing which is probably why I am not as surprised as some here, but if we downgrade our trucks, wait another 2 years, pay more, AND see another hike I would be out for sure.

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I'd totally switch to Explore and dual motor but how do we know they wont raise the price of those right before they are to be delivered?

I think folks are right to be concerned about trust. They have shown us who they are.
Very true. That is honestly what I am having the most trouble with. Rivian has shown they are no better than the worst car dealers we have all dealt with.

Sponsored

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I *REALLY* don't want a black interior, so sadly, keeping that add-on.
The rolling in of tow hooks to LE means I can remove off-road kit.
May remove the spare tire.
Removing the off-road recovery kit. Ain't worth $600. Will get an aftermarket $300 kit.
Snowboard/ski mount went up, but it went up on Yakima's own website, too, so that at least makes sense.

The big question is how much a second set of wheels+tires will cost. I opted for the 20"+All-Terrain, with the plan that those would be for both the occasional off-roading plus cheaper wheels to get winter tires for than the 21" road; but also buy a set of 21" Road for towing road trips, since I don't want the 15% efficiency hit of the 20" when towing. But if the second set will go up by multiple hundred dollars, I may just go for the 21" only.
It’s hard to say on the tires. If you are keeping a quad motor and receiving a truck this year or next there may not be many choices. By 2024 when they *say* the dual motor will be ready I would guess there are aftermarket options by then. When I searched for wheels online there were no sets available yet with Rivian’s specific sizing, offset combination.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
I agree on the tonneau - I was actually not sorry to see that go. I’ve never had a bed cover on my Tacoma and done just fine. And as you said about tires, if there happened to be more tire/ wheel choices by 2024 that would be another way to possibly save *some* $ by buying aftermarket. Unfortunately that still means waiting till 2024 and still paying more for the truck you just stripped down.

Plus - and this is actually the biggest concern of mine at this point. How much more will Rivian raise prices between now and then. They showed yesterday they truly can’t be trusted. I don’t ever trust corporations to do the right thing which is probably why I am not as surprised as some here, but if we downgrade our trucks, wait another 2 years, pay more, AND see another hike I would be out for sure.
The more I think about it, I'm still debating regarding getting a tonneau. It does rain a lot here, so it does make some sense to have one. But do I really need one? ?

Regarding another price increase? It may be inevitable in 4 yrs or so. Inflation is a bitch.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Do they expect someone to reconfigure for a cheaper model (dual motor, "available" 2024, for them to increase prices another 20% when that is ready?

They should focus on their vans at this point.

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The more I think about it, I'm still debating regarding getting a tonneau. It does rain a lot here, so it does make some sense to have one. But do I really need one? ?

Regarding another price increase? It may be inevitable in 4 yrs or so. Inflation is a bitch.
It sure is. I really feel for those who ordered Launch Editions and still were told their price went up. In my head I assumed Rivian would do right by those buyers and raise pricing for everyone else. They decided to punish everyone except the very few who in the final stages of delivery.

With the tonneau, I haven’t seen how the manual cover attaches, but just like those who wanted a bed cap, Rivian’s design may make it difficult to find aftermarket tonneau covers too. So if you do need one it would have to be a Rivian for now…

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Do they expect someone to reconfigure for a cheaper model (dual motor, "available" 2024, for them to increase prices another 20% when that is ready?

They should focus on their vans at this point.
It’s a fair point. The way they have chosen to handle this is so bad that even though I’m trying to see a way forward - I’m not sure I want to do business with a company that treats it’s biggest fans this way. Obviously there is nothing they *won’t* do.

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I was already fully prepared to go to dual motor and/or smaller battery pack with Explore. Granted, I was prepared to do that with the expectation it would potentially knock $10k off the price I had configured in stead of just maintaining the current price but I always knew it was an option.

I'll miss the quad motors, but probably not that much. I can live without the extra range, I'll probably miss the ventilated seats more than anything else but it's doable.

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I was already fully prepared to go to dual motor and/or smaller battery pack with Explore. Granted, I was prepared to do that with the expectation it would potentially knock $10k off the price I had configured in stead of just maintaining the current price but I always knew it was an option.

I'll miss the quad motors, but probably not that much. I can live without the extra range, I'll probably miss the ventilated seats more than anything else but it's doable.
I had that same expectation - or that at minimum going to a dual motor would be the SAME price when adding in the price increase. Unfortunately that still turned into a significant price increase and could be raised again:confused:

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
I need better communication and some type of loyalty incentive from Rivian. This has just been a solid let down from the start.

I know this is a 100% first world problems issue, but with that Rivian needs to do it's part and ACTUALLY DO RIGHT BY IT'S BACKERS!

Do something for us!

1. Life time free charging
2. Buy back trade up program
3. Life time Rivian subscription plan
4. Free options up to 5k
5. Something! Anything!

Again... Perspective

My 2015 Model S Dual Motor was 115k loaded

275 mile range
4 sec 0-60
Not as nice or functional

So I can see the value, but the competition is stiff now and not everyone can have that perspective.

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I need better communication and some type of loyalty incentive from Rivian. This has just been a solid let down from the start.

I know this is a 100% first world problems issue, but with that Rivian needs to do it's part and ACTUALLY DO RIGHT BY IT'S BACKERS!

Do something for us!

1. Life time free charging
2. Buy back trade up program
3. Life time Rivian subscription plan
4. Free options up to 5k
5. Something! Anything!
I agree they *should* do something. They truly screwed over the people who loved them the most. Unfortunately it looks like Rivian has chosen the path of starting over with new fans and making money. Hell, I would settle for a guarantee that my price is now locked in if I keep my reservation or update it. But that likely won’t happen based on what they just did….

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
At the very least some type of tiered preorder holder program with price. After all they've had the OG 2018 money the longest interest free.

2018 5k bump

2019 7.5k bump

2020 10k bump

2021 Current rake you over the coals pricing ?
Sponsored