Sponsored

Deep breaths and bright siding. What can you live with/ without?

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Yea...the delay on top makes it an even tougher pill to swallow. Wait another two years, get a slower vehicle with two fewer motors, AND still pay more.

2024 is also an interesting time frame. 2023 deliveries were still likely to come before there are other viable options. 2024...could be another story. The market is going to be even more crowded then and what is unique and justifiable about an R1T or R1S now may be less so in two years.
Not being a 3 year reservation holder I am looking at this from a different perspective, but that timing is exactly why I will keep my reservation for now. If something better comes up before 2024 I will cancel And buy that instead.
Sponsored

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I just took off the underbody extra protection. But the spare adds 1k back in from the 2k saved.

Really looking at dropping the dark 20" to regular 20". Would save $3500. FE is another 2k. Dropped a few other accessories that I can get after market (floor mats, recovery kit, etc). If I drop the dark wheels and the FE interior i get close to what I had configured previously.

Sadly everyone cancelling may move up my delivery, which will cost another $4000 in missed state tax credits.
Crap - I forgot about the spare…which is now $1000 instead of $850 :headbang:

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

It sucks to have to cut things out of the truck you were getting excited about, but I’m trying to remind myself that it would still be the nicest vehicle I would ever own by a large margin.
I'm trying to use logic here. The dark wheels were 3.5k and the fe interior was 2k before. Nothing has changed with their value : price ratio. Value being, they look cool lol. So if i was accepting of the value : price ratio before the base model increase, why would it be unjustified now?

For me, I was debating on keeping my Ram for a bit after buying the R1T, worrying about the charging infrastructure where I typically drive to get away. The increase probably scratches that idea.

I was always going to take out a loan for part of the value of the vehicle (and pay it off quickly). Helps build up good credit. So in this case, the base model price increase would just increase the size of the loan and add a few months to the payoff timeframe.

Had I not bought into the stock, I really wouldn't have any decisions to make and would have been able to absorb the price increase.

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I'm trying to use logic here. The dark wheels were 3.5k and the fe interior was 2k before. Nothing has changed with their value : price ratio. Value being, they look cool lol. So if i was accepting of the value : price ratio before the base model increase, why would it be unjustified now?

For me, I was debating on keeping my Ram for a bit after buying the R1T, worrying about the charging infrastructure where I typically drive to get away. The increase probably scratches that idea.

I was always going to take out a loan for part of the value of the vehicle (and pay it off quickly). Helps build up good credit. So in this case, the base model price increase would just increase the size of the loan and add a few months to the payoff timeframe.

Had I not bought into the stock, I really wouldn't have any decisions to make and would have been able to absorb the price increase.
I feel the same about the dark wheels, which is why I kept them - although $3500 for some black wheels does seem high, at least it didn’t go up 20% with everything else. FE not going up is a bit of a surprise.

I am trying to go through the same thought process you are. It’s hard to not be mad at Rivian for how they treated so many people who believed in them, though.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

It’s BS. But if it’s still the vehicle you want I guess I would ask what other electric 3 row SUV you could replace it with?

I hate that we are even having these convos today. Damn you, Rivian!

Nothing really. gotta go the way of the ICE/PHEV route which is arguably worse but it is what it is. SIGH, not what I wanted to hear.

Sponsored

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Nothing really. gotta go the way of the ICE/PHEV route which is arguably worse but it is what it is. SIGH, not what I wanted to hear.
I get it. I really wanted to swap my 17 mpg Tacoma for an R1T but it may not be in the cards Right now. It’s a dark day…

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

You can put lipstick on a pig and it is still a pig.
And take it from a former Carolina pig farm worker, it'll still eat any God blessed thing you put in front of it's when it's starved.

Not sure if that's a metaphor for Rivian or us Riviots, but that'll do, pig.

Jay

First Name
Vicky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent
Fcuk Rivian. I can live without it.
May be I will just buy a telluride for 40k and spend 20k on gas and service for next 5 years. It would still be cheaper than buying a Rivian in 2024.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Even if I’m dumb enough to buy a Rivian, I’m not dumb enough to trust this company further.

Sorry, COdog, your trying to stay on the high road is much appreciated. Rivian should take a page from your playbook.

Sponsored

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
I can probably live without the Tank Turning. Yeah, the quad motor's high HP/Torque was enticing, but I honestly only wanted it 'cause of Tank Turn. Dual motor will more than suffice for my needs. Powered Tonneau cover is another feature I don't need. I was looking forward towards Limestone/Green interior, but I can settle for Silver/Black as I live in FL (sun is killer down here). The hardest decision will be the wait on Max pack and what direction Rivian will take once graphene and solid state batteries come to fruition.

Edit: I went in and reconfigured a R1T to what I used to spec out and to the new changes -
- kept the Adventure package
- dropped quad-motor for dual-motor
- kept the Large battery pack
- change colors from Limestone/Green to Silver/Black
- kept the off-road package upgrade (underside plate protection + tow hooks)
- kept the full spare tire (21's)
- opted for the manual tonneau cover (vs the powered version it originally came with)
- kept the Cargo Crossbars
- kept the All-weather floor mats and off-road recovery kit

My original configuration was high end $79k. With the new changes is raised it to $84,850. Roughly a $5k difference. I like the change from auto to manual tonneau covers. Less parts to worry about. The only thing I will regret giving up is the color options. Yeah the price hike sucks, but to me and what I want from a R1T, the $5k difference isn't back breaking. Regarding not getting All-terrains. I can always pick up a set later on as more EV friendly options become available. Those Scorpions cannot be the only choices we'll be regulated to in the future.

Last edited:

RVXIAN

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Sales
They should have been transparent from the beginning on what they were truly trying to offer to streamline their most sought out packages. Not options that were never going to be offered.
In all seriousness more options and configurations complicates production with increased variability. They should be reducing options not adding more. Quite concerning for production scaling. No bueno.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
I'd totally switch to Explore and dual motor but how do we know they wont raise the price of those right before they are to be delivered?

I think folks are right to be concerned about trust. They have shown us who they are.

Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T!
Clubs

To anyone thinking that for 2023 or 2024 estimated deliveries that the price they see today and the date they see are the ones that will happen...