Sponsored

DIY R1 Brush Guard Installed

larsb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Hey all,
Just wanted to share this no-nonsense brush guard project. Was not a fan of all the wiry thin tube designs floating around, and decided to build my own. This is my first attempt and so far no issues with any sensor, camera, frunk, nor lighting obstructions. Let me know your thoughts.

I might even be persuaded to custom build a few more of these if there is interest out in the community...?

Rivian R1T R1S DIY R1 Brush Guard Installed IMG_1999

Rivian R1T R1S DIY R1 Brush Guard Installed IMG_1990

Rivian R1T R1S DIY R1 Brush Guard Installed IMG_1988
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
at best this is a push bar. Traffic isn't that bad, is it?

OP
OP

larsb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
To clarify, this initial build was kitbashed/hacked from existing available COTS parts with the goal of validating install and verifying potential obstruction issues as mentioned above. In parallel, I am also designing a more integrated 'full coverage" setup as a next iteration. Here's a CAD example of that WIP.

Rivian R1T R1S DIY R1 Brush Guard Installed Brushguardconcept02_031124

Sponsored

twizzstyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2018 Model 3, 2017 Model X
No interest from me, but it's nice to see some legitimate DIY work that isn't just a bunch of FDM printed junk.

Signed, another DIYer not too far from you. I'll keep my eye out (I'm in Kenmore)

OP
OP

larsb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Did you look into including a way to mount a winch? I have not seen any options in the market.
Yes (kinda) I have been thinking about that but so far have not actually done it. You may have just sparked that option back to life :idea:

FWIW, I have been thinking more specifically about a general-purpose modular plate part that reuses this custom recovery ring attachment system. That could then be used for mounting all kinds of aftermarket stuff like trail lights, winch, front tow receiver, etc. Maybe other accessories?

Last edited:

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I guess my comment saying it was hideous was too mean and got deleted. Sorry for potentially hurting someone’s feelings with honesty.

The second design iteration is much nicer looking but still fairly useless as a brush guard. It could work as a push bumper but without portions that wrap around the sides it’s really not a brush guard.

With the mounting points so low and small I’d be concerned with hitting anything minor and having the guard get bent back and smash the hood and lights up that may have otherwise been spared. Thats a common occurrence on bull bars/brush guards that mount low on the frame horns of a conventional truck.

OP
OP

larsb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I guess my comment saying it was hideous was too mean and got deleted. Sorry for potentially hurting someone’s feelings with honesty.

The second design iteration is much nicer looking but still fairly useless as a brush guard. It could work as a push bumper but without portions that wrap around the sides it’s really not a brush guard.

With the mounting points so low and small I’d be concerned with hitting anything minor and having the guard get bent back and smash the hood and lights up that may have otherwise been spared. Thats a common occurrence on bull bars/brush guards that mount low on the frame horns of a conventional truck.
All good. FWIW, you definitely haven't hurt my feelings. The whole reason I post this stuff is to see what other perspectives are. I do appreciate the more specific expanded feedback though.

This is an iterative work in progress and I'm only at the first artifact(s) so far.

DRJ564

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Only because you asked, so far I haven’t seen anything that enhances the front end of the R1. I don’t think this brush guard is a good look nor would it be the slightest bit functional except to destroy more parts if it comes in contact with anything solid. But kudos to you for trying.

Nine_One_Six_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Clubs

Yes (kinda) I have been thinking about that but so far have not actually done it. You may have just sparked that option back to life :idea:

FWIW, I have been thinking more specifically about a general-purpose modular plate part that reuses this custom recovery ring attachment system. That could then be used for mounting all kinds of aftermarket stuff like trail lights, winch, front tow receiver, etc. Maybe other accessories?
Nice!

what is your goal for this? Bring it to market and sell?

I think a plate makes a lot more sense as you can attach whatever you want as you mention.

Any issues with blocking some cameras/sensors?
Sponsored