Sponsored

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
There is no such thing as EV tires, it's a marketing term used for low rolling resistance without any proof or data to support the claim.

Get tires in an appropriate Speed and Load rating, maintain air pressure and rotate on some schedule, same as any other vehicle. EV's are just heavy vehicles for their size.
While EVs typically weigh more than the most directly comparable ICE vehicles, and prioritize rolling resistance and perhaps noise more than ICE cars, the tires themselves don't care a whit about the source of the torque.

For those of us old enough to have bought audio equipment during the '80s (during the transition from vinyl to CDs) it is reminiscent of the marketing BS around "digital ready" speakers and even "digital ready" speaker wire.
Sponsored

hilld

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Cooper SE, Z4, X1
For those of us old enough to have bought audio equipment during the '80s (during the transition from vinyl to CDs) it is reminiscent of the marketing BS around "digital ready" speakers and even "digital ready" speaker wire.
Don't forget HDTV antennas, no different than a SDTV antenna, but it probably sells better when it is High vs Standard Definition.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Is that supposed to be sarcastic?

That's not what the video says ...
He didn’t watch the video.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I watched the entire Tire Rack video with great interest. All that was said made sense. The bottom line is to shop for a quality tire that works best for your situation and driving habits.

Buying certified EV tires is akin to buying certified RV toilet paper. You spend more money and don't really get anything for it. I will be buying tires for Opal that work best for me.

Brian

Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Is that supposed to be sarcastic?

That's not what the video says ...
Maybe having one of those days where he needs someone to buy him a beer (link in every single on of his posts).

In video, guy mentions a brand is claiming all of their tires are EV-ready. Anyone know which brand?

Last edited:

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Worth the watch. But the TL;DR is...maybe. Depends on your use case and what qualities of tires you care most about. Sounds like some EV specific tires are EV in name only and don't change anything from their non-EV counterparts. Some EV specific tires won't even match the range of an equivalent OE EV tire. The things that make a tire more efficient likely lead to less grip/performance in certain environments too. I'm still holding out hope that the Toyo AT III EV will actually be worthwhile, assuming it comes out before I need to replace my Pirellis. I've been running Blizzaks this winter, delaying the inevitable replacement.

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

Maybe having one of those days where he needs someone to buy him a beer (link in every single on of his posts).

In video, guy mentions a brand is claiming all of their tires are EV-ready. Anyone know which brand?
I like beer, that video though was about as useful as a screen door on a submarine.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
I like beer, that video though was about as useful as a screen door on a submarine.
It's obviously for general consumption. For those who don't know better and clearly (through this thread), some find it useful. You're just special I guess. Congrats.

Rivian R1T R1S Do You Really Need EV-Specific Tires? Real-World Test Based Answers giphy

runningdenver

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S QM
Occupation
Tech
I found it useful. Nothing earth shattering, and all fairly obvious, but well presented, and interesting to see some of the real world test differences, based on different tires, or the same tires with different conditions. I switched from the regular rivian all weather tire, to nokian hakas for winter, and have seen a big drop in efficiency. I’ll switch back at the end of April (April is Denver’s second snowiest month of the year after March…), and hopefully see a big improvement.

Thanks for the share.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Buying certified EV tires is akin to buying certified RV toilet paper. You spend more money and don't really get anything for it. I will be buying tires for Opal that work best for me.
Yeah butt, what TP do you get?

OPSEC!!!

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Who wants to help crowd source my upcoming line of EV specific nitrogen to inflate your EV specific tires? My pitch is that EV tires are a waste if not paired with my EV specific nitrogen. It will be offered as an optional subscription to replace the nitrogen every tire rotation for best results!
Sponsored