Sponsored

Driver+ and Cruise Control Unsafe Motor Temps?

biglet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I've observed that when I use adaptive cruise control and Driver+ on long road trips, there will be a stretch where those modes cause the motor temps to consistently climb. They'll climb to 270+ before I disengage them, after which the temp gradually drops back to normal operating temps. Has anyone else experienced this? I opened a service ticket but they told me this was expected behavior, which sounds suspect. I'm going to let the temp climb to completely unsafe operating temperatures next road trip, but I'd prefer not to if anyone else has experienced this.
Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Rivian really should publish something to keep folks from being concerned over this. Saying its expected without any explanation isn't helpful on Rivian's part.

In colder temps the motors (apparently the front motors) will create waste heat to condition the battery. This is more efficient than using resistive heating. A lot of folks have posted about this. Tesla does this with their vehicles as well. Nobody really knows all the details of this function as Rivian hasn't publicly disclosed it....but basically the coolant is heated in the motors and then sent along to the battery to warm it up. What we see, now that we can see motor temps, is a rapid rise in temps in front motors, then a rapid decline as the heated coolant is moved into the battery.

OP
OP

biglet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
In my case it's not being used to heat the battery though. It's not during the part of the trip where I am going to a fast charger and the battery is being prepped. Nor does the battery temp increase. The battery stays steady around 70 degrees, while the motors climb close to 300.

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Happened to me today. The only context given was the map told me the truck was preconditioning the battery for DC charging. It raised the battery a full 20 degrees from 56 to 76.

But ORANGE sure does raise some anxiety.

Rivian R1T R1S Driver+ and Cruise Control Unsafe Motor Temps? IMG_0828

Rivian R1T R1S Driver+ and Cruise Control Unsafe Motor Temps? IMG_0827

Throwdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t launch edition#2650
Occupation
Technician
Now yall know why this data wasn't provided before, they should lie about temps the way Porsche does for all the neurotic people out there. All late model porsches do a dance of running the engine coolant temp between 190f and 230f but the gauge stays at 194f of 200f depending on year and model. My biggest question since the battery doesn't have its own dedicated heater is why they aren't circulating the coolant through the motors when they are warm like that to bring the battery and keep it around 85f, that's where it's the most efficient. All it would take is a 12v coolant pump running. Seems like a waste to not have the battery at the optimum temp for basically free

Sponsored

SunDevil2213

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Construction Cost Consultant
I've observed that when I use adaptive cruise control and Driver+ on long road trips, there will be a stretch where those modes cause the motor temps to consistently climb. They'll climb to 270+ before I disengage them, after which the temp gradually drops back to normal operating temps. Has anyone else experienced this? I opened a service ticket but they told me this was expected behavior, which sounds suspect. I'm going to let the temp climb to completely unsafe operating temperatures next road trip, but I'd prefer not to if anyone else has experienced this.
How much did you worry about this before you could see the motor temps? Then I'd say worry the same amount now as you did then.

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

Here is the general rule I have stated before, if there is not a warning on the driver screen then all is normal. The info on the infotainment screen is just that, infotainment.

Smeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (Quad Motor, Granite
Occupation
physician
In my case it's not being used to heat the battery though. It's not during the part of the trip where I am going to a fast charger and the battery is being prepped. Nor does the battery temp increase. The battery stays steady around 70 degrees, while the motors climb close to 300.
Just because the temperature of the battery isn't increasing doesn't mean the battery isn't being warmed. I think it's reasonable to assume it's just trying keep the battery at a steady temperature.

But if the car isn't given you any errors, you are probably just over thinking it with all the new data available and you (and all of us) not really fully understanding how it all works.

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I really think Rivian needs to get rid of the battery and motor temperature monitors. It only causes more phone calls to the service centers !

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Rivian should change the design of the gauge view. Remove the red for hot and add a non-threatening pink unicorn that shoots out of the graphic when the motors get above 200.

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
Rivian really should publish something to keep folks from being concerned over this. Saying its expected without any explanation isn't helpful on Rivian's part.
Ford has a non-numerical battery and motor temp gauge and it doesn't really change much unless it's out of spec.

I used to criticize them for not reporting the temperature. After seeing all of these Rivian motor temperature posts I understand why Ford made that decision.

Rivian R1T R1S Driver+ and Cruise Control Unsafe Motor Temps? 1700918250901

SparkyR1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t/Model Y
Occupation
Retired Commercial Electrician and mechanic
I tend to agree that motor temps probably not necessary for the average drivers. . Admit the screen looks cool but what is the real value of the data. Perhaps just display data if there is a reason to be concernd such as a true overheat condition beyond design parameters.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

It's good to have for those of us who tow. Perhaps adding a graphic that either shows or states that it's conditioning the battery would be helpful. For example, Rivian hides the battery temps when your DC Fast Charging.

Mike2325

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
Here it is again, when the motor Temps were available I knew the chicken little's would be up Rivians backside. This feature will be going away, guaranteed, and I don't blame them.
If there was an issue with the temperatures, I'm sure the truck would send out a warning on the display.
You people should be paying attention to the road and stop complaining for no reason.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I really think Rivian needs to get rid of the battery and motor temperature monitors. It only causes more phone calls to the service centers !
That would cause even more angy calls. Some of us very much want to see actual data, and understand that if the gage is at/below the red line then all is normal. Enjoy watching your systems at work people, and stop freaking out already.
Sponsored