First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Web/IT
With just 16, 500 miles on the tires the drone noise was becoming almost unbearable with the Factory Scorpion AT's. It wasn't like this when the tires were new so I had a thought. "Why not change the rotation?"

The tires are not rotation specific, so I swapped the fronts with each other and backs with each other and, wow, much less noise.
Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I agree. Been moving mine around as needed, but if you can figure out the noisy ones, opposite direction helps alot. I am getting close to replacing at 40k.

OP
OP
rodbrock

rodbrock

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Web/IT
It could be that you moved the one tire that makes the most noise away from you as the driver 😅
I don't think so because I rotated fronts to back about 200 miles ago and there was no change.

NMflyfish

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
97 Toyota T100, 15 Toyota Prius V, 18 Ram 2500C
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Appreciate the thread. Need to rotate and starting to get a bit noisy at 15,XXX miles. Will try your suggestion.

Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Yea Cross Rotation helps a lot. What also helps is getting them rebalanced. Shops scoff at it, "they're old tires, it's not worth it." It makes a big difference after so much rubber is gone. The original balance becomes irrelevant especially on an AT/MT tire.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I agree. Been moving mine around as needed, but if you can figure out the noisy ones, opposite direction helps alot. I am getting close to replacing at 40k.
40k!!?? That's probably the highest I've seen on 20s. What have you been feeding them?

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
40k!!?? That's probably the highest I've seen on 20s. What have you been feeding them?
A fair amount of highway miles. And reduced numbers of launches after first 6 months or so.

NMflyfish

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
97 Toyota T100, 15 Toyota Prius V, 18 Ram 2500C
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Just rotated front driver to rear passenger and vice versa - noise definitely reduced. Asked my wife who didn't know I rotated the tires and she said it was quieter also. Anecdotal evidence...
Sponsored