First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Accord hybrid
Occupation
Retired
Hey, long time... As you are aware (or maybe not), I'm a full time RVer. I go from park to park with my Rivian and my RV. Most parks have an electrical pedestal that has both 50 and 30 amp connections. Since Both the Rivian and my RV work off the 50 amp. I CAN hook the RV to the 30 amp while the rivian is charging but this requires a physical changing of the connection. I have developed a Dual Power Distribution Switch that swaps the 30 and 50 amp connections. First iteration by the flip of a switch. Next generation will have Bluetooth control. Conforms to National Electrical Codes. NEMA approved enclosure for wet locations. Not UL listed. 80amp rated relays. Switches fast enough where most electronics will not be affected. Attached photo of prototype. Built to order with 3 week lead time. Initial introductory price is $349 plus shipping. DM me if interested.
Rivian R1T R1S Dual Power Distribution Switch 20231204_170233
Sponsored

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Why DIY this when Lectron and Splitvolt already make this?

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
That just seems unnecessarily complicated. I just hooked my Rivian to the 50 amp and the trailer to the 30 amp for 9 months. If for some reason I had to change things up I had a simple TT30 to 14-50 or TT30 to 5-15 for the trailer and a 14-50 to TT30 for the truck.

OP
OP
Lesyo64

Lesyo64

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Accord hybrid
Occupation
Retired
Why DIY this when Lectron and Splitvolt already make this?
Unlike Lectron, Splitvolt, and Neocharge, this is not a socket splitter. This physically switches the two inputs and the two outputs. I will usually have my RV connected to the 50amp input. This allows usage of dual air conditioners without popping the breaker. If you use a "dog bone" to charge the EV off the 30amp circuit, your rate of charge is the same as if you were using the 15amp circuit. So, to keep from continually switching/making physical connections, I can just flip a switch (and my RV doesn't even know it lost power). Now I'm charging at 40amps on the 50amp circuit. As a side benefit, because I deem the RV as primary, if it were to pop the 30amp breaker, the switch would automatically revert to the 50amp input.
Yes, I could just switch the plugs all the time. This Dual Power Distribution Switch allows for easy switching without having to reset clocks, wifi, and other electronics. In the next generation I won't even have to go outside to the pedestal.
I find the switch very useful and was hoping someone else could benefit from it.

OP
OP
Lesyo64

Lesyo64

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Accord hybrid
Occupation
Retired
That just seems unnecessarily complicated. I just hooked my Rivian to the 50 amp and the trailer to the 30 amp for 9 months. If for some reason I had to change things up I had a simple TT30 to 14-50 or TT30 to 5-15 for the trailer and a 14-50 to TT30 for the truck.
Yes, that is the simplest way to do it, just not the most efficient nor most effective. I live in my RV full time and there are times when I must have it connected to 50amps.
Please see reply to Christopher for further explanation.

Sponsored

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Yes, that is the simplest way to do it, just not the most efficient nor most effective. I live in my RV full time and there are times when I must have it connected to 50amps.
Please see reply to Christopher for further explanation.
Same here, living full time in a trailer towed by my Rivian. My trailer is 30amp though so I rarely, if ever, needed to mess with swapping it from a 50amp plug. However, plugging your Rivian into the 30amp 110v TT30 is still double the charge rate of a standard 15amp 5-15 plug. I still tried to avoid it as it’s half the charge rate compared to using the portable charger with the 14-50 220v plug.

Swezey

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1T QM LBP 21" Rivian Blue
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

That's a pretty sweet project; nice build!
Sponsored