Electrek: A Call For Smaller EVs

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
To each his own. I love sports cars. They sort of wrap around you and you get a great feeling of almost being one with the machine. They are also very impractical for a lot of "normal" activities. Grocery or Home Depot is questionable. Not sure how they manage so well back in Europe.

At this point I need a large SUV with great MPG and rugged enough to withstand severe trips to Home Depot. I also plan to get back to camping and being outdoors as I did as a child. The R1 fits the bill for me. It's a free country-get what you like. In the spirit of the 4th of July-live free!
Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I’m looking forward to the R2S for my wife. Our kids are almost out of HS and the. We can ditch the 3 row Highlander.

krockett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ Cruiser
Clubs

There’s no one size fits all vehicle, that’s why Mavericks, Rangers, F-150s, F-250s, Raptors (using Ford as an example) exist.

Folks complain the R1Ts bed is too small, folks complain it is too big. It’s just right for me.

Agree with get what you want and it’s not the author’s place to dictate demand.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
The author is correct that manufacturers do need to make more small EVs.

But they also need to make more large EVs. And more minivan EVs. And more 2-seater sports car EVs. And more sedan EVs. More options are needed across the board. The only category that seems adequately covered is small-to-midsized SUV EVs.

I don't like the idea of outlawing gas vehicles, but I would not mind requiring manufacturers offer an EV equivalent for every every gas vehicle they sell. No one should have to buy a gas vehicle just because there are 0 EV options in the form-factor that suits their needs.

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The article is clearly an opinion piece. It’s just one side of an argument with more than one solution. No reason to take it personally. Remember everyone has one…. :giggle:

rbr19870445

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 981 GT4, 3rd gen 4runner, 1st gen JDM CRV
Clubs

To each his own. I love sports cars. They sort of wrap around you and you get a great feeling of almost being one with the machine. They are also very impractical for a lot of "normal" activities. Grocery or Home Depot is questionable. Not sure how they manage so well back in Europe.

At this point I need a large SUV with great MPG and rugged enough to withstand severe trips to Home Depot. I also plan to get back to camping and being outdoors as I did as a child. The R1 fits the bill for me. It's a free country-get what you like. In the spirit of the 4th of July-live free!
American car culture is really interesting. I absolutely love my R1T but it's large and can be rather hard to park. I've seen plenty of Golfs and wagons with long 2 x 4 sticking out them in Europe and I've always wondered if it was because if they viewed the car as more of a "utility" and/or because of taxes and fuel prices.

I personally would love the R2 to be the size of my 1999 CRV. It's a fantastic little car with such a great footprint that I can throw around in traffic and with it being an EV and having a frunk, would make it a super capable car for 80% of the population.
Sponsored