Sponsored

Electric Rates (Boston)

RandomMcRandomFace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90, R1S
Having just picked up my R1S and charged at home the first time, I am struck by the absurd cost of electricity in Boston. I had a Model Y which saved me some $$ over gas even with the rates, but the R1S is a little more . . . thirsty and I am basically breaking even (possibly losing money depending on the fuel efficiency/fuel octane choices).

Anyone have any bright ideas on electric supply options (other than solar)? I am paying about .27 per kwh (total for delivery and supply); as far as I can tell no one offers any solid off peak rates that save me (I current use the City of Boston for supply/Eversource for delivery) if I scheduled charging overnight (which I would love to do). I am stuck with Eversource for delivery as far as I know.

My roof size (in terms of usable surface area) sucks for solar.
Sponsored

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,
Having just picked up my R1S and charged at home the first time, I am struck by the absurd cost of electricity in Boston. I had a Model Y which saved me some $$ over gas even with the rates, but the R1S is a little more . . . thirsty and I am basically breaking even (possibly losing money depending on the fuel efficiency/fuel octane choices).

Anyone have any bright ideas on electric supply options (other than solar)? I am paying about .27 per kwh (total for delivery and supply); as far as I can tell no one offers any solid off peak rates that save me (I current use the City of Boston for supply/Eversource for delivery) if I scheduled charging overnight (which I would love to do). I am stuck with Eversource for delivery as far as I know.

Same situation west of Boston. Off-peak rates would be niceā€¦

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Iā€™d do everything you can to get solar. Not much else you can do.

shandel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S FG/FE Adventure 20, Audi e-tron, Jeep Wrangler
Clubs

28 cents is off-peak rate here in the Bay Area. This is for the net metering rate for those of us with solar and electric vehicles. The off-peak rates are atrocious - 59 cents for peak and 48 cents for partial peak.

Rivian R1T R1S Electric Rates (Boston) 1693965248097

Last edited:

docwhiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S LR (2022), Land Rover Discovery 2
Occupation
Retired

So... You're about 13 cents a mile for electricity.
Large SUV gets 15 mi/gal so gas at $4.50 gal is 30 cents a mile.

Sponsored

bbonkk

First Name
howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Citroen 2cv6, Tesla Model 3, Sprinter van, BMW x5
Occupation
pain in the ass
Clubs

I lose here in Mammoth Lakes, California. We have the highest peak rates I think in the USA. On peak would cost about 37.5 cents a mile. Moral of the story don't charge in the evening.
Rivian R1T R1S Electric Rates (Boston) 1694008429648

OP
OP

RandomMcRandomFace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90, R1S
So... You're about 13 cents a mile for electricity.
Large SUV gets 15 mi/gal so gas at $4.50 gal is 30 cents a mile.
Well, I am benchmarking against my Volvo XC90 which, while a different type of ā€œSUVā€ is three rows and isnā€™t terribly dissimilar in size. I get 26 mi/gal. Gas here is closer to 3.50 for regular/4.50 for premium. So using that, itā€™s more like .13-.17 a mile. But whatever comparison you use, I am spending 60% 80-90% more than the Tesla and would love to spend less . . . But sounds like I am SOL.

docwhiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S LR (2022), Land Rover Discovery 2
Occupation
Retired
Well, I am benchmarking against my Volvo XC90 which, while a different type of ā€œSUVā€ is three rows and isnā€™t terribly dissimilar in size. I get 26 mi/gal. Gas here is closer to 3.50 for regular/4.50 for premium. So using that, itā€™s more like .13-.17 a mile. But whatever comparison you use, I am spending 60% 80-90% more than the Tesla and would love to spend less . . . But sounds like I am SOL.
The Rivian R1S is much larger than the Volvo so no comparison.

OP
OP

RandomMcRandomFace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90, R1S
The Rivian R1S is much larger than the Volvo so no comparison.
Okay, great thanks.

Iā€˜ve signed up for notices from Evernorth if they decide to implement any EV charging programs (beyond their current rebate for wiring). Maybe that will bear fruit.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
That is criminal. I wish there was more consistency across the country. I was paying close to 15c/khw before I got solar in March. I added extra panels so that it would cover the house and R1 consumption. So far so good.

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
That is criminal. I wish there was more consistency across the country
What does that even mean? Why would you expect electricity costs to be the same across a country that literally spans a continent? Even if you could wave a magic wand and make it so, I would expect costs to RISE for the majority of the country to account for areas where power is expensive to produce and distribute.

Also, no one else in the nation wants anything to do with Texas's power situation ;)
Sponsored