Sponsored

ModelXer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
My guess: they ship Standard/Standard+ at a significant loss for now, but it positions them in the market. Later this year they will actually (silently, or maybe not) start shipping with LFP on Standard/Standard+, in order to get to the and of year gross-margin-neutral goal.

You won't be able to tell by vehicle weight. LFP has lower specific energy, so the battery size/weight will probably be roughly the same as Large/Max.
I tend to agree with you. Take the loss until the LFP is available. Not an unusual tactic to get the product out while cost saving elements are cut in to production.
Now the question is, when will someone crack the code to upgrade the battery while they still can? Then, of course, sell the instructions for a nice piece of change.
Sponsored

R1SFamilyGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
I do software things
No, still 70%
Yes but my R1S Standard+ was charged to 100% at delivery (which I hear isn’t the norm). Also, the person handling the delivery suggested I could do 100% because at that time I didn’t have a home charger installed and I wasn’t using it for daily commutes.

narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
2024 Rivian R1S Performance Dual Motor Standard+
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Yes but my R1S Standard+ was charged to 100% at delivery (which I hear isn’t the norm). Also, the person handling the delivery suggested I could do 100% because at that time I didn’t have a home charger installed and I wasn’t using it for daily commutes.

I always say, charge to whatever level gets you the range you need for the day, ignore those rules. If you need 100% charge to 100% if you don't need it, go lower.

Yes, mine was charged to 100% at delivery too, which is fine, 100% allows the battery to calibrate where it's top end is.

Don't overthink charging. Charging to 100% daily is still less stress on the battery than DCFC multiple times a month.

But that's why the law requires a minimum 8yr/100k warranty on the battery

narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
2024 Rivian R1S Performance Dual Motor Standard+
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Also, since the standard and standard+ ( which I also have) is the large pack, software locked to lower usable capacity, isn't 100% displayed really 80-90% not including the buffer zone?

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'm guessing the way to identify what pack is actually in your R1 Standard(+) is hinted at by the VIN code. A/B are going to be Large and C is going to be a Max pack. It looks like Rivian could lock a Max down to a Large as well if they wanted based on this.

Rivian R1T R1S EPA Test Data confirms Standard Battery and Standard+ are software locked versions of either Large or Max pack batteries 1715000562441-vy

Sponsored

R1SFamilyGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
I do software things
It looks like Rivian could lock a Max down to a Large as well if they wanted based on this
So need a VIN Large pack config with C, to confirm.

by this, though, mine’s a Large but configured as Standard+

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

The only time you can actually use the top 20% is on the first leg of a road trip. After that filling up past 80% is too slow.
Not true, there are edge use cases (less now with Supercharger network opened up). I've had several instances where I left a hotel at 100%, stopped at 85% and had to top off, arriving at destination with 5-10% battery because a lack of DCFCs beforehand. See: Idaho trips

derekmw

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
This is pretty cool information to know. In the future, if I get another Rivian, I may very well just get the standard range then and leave it charging to 100%. We currently also have the Model 3 LFP RWD, which Tesla says you can charge to 100% and has much slower degradation.

My folks got the RWD Model Y which also appears to be software locked so you can charge it to 100% similar to the Rivian Standard range batteries.

Rad_ry

First Name
Reece
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5
Occupation
Finance
I don’t know if anyone has mentioned but standard is the only battery moving to LFP, so seems like a super sweet deal. And I thought that Peregrine also included the switchover to LFP but I haven’t heard any confirmation of this on the earnings call. If it did, I would be snapping up any high nickel standards.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I asked my guide about after point of sale upgrade to DM-P if you purchased a DM vehicle and he told me that they will in fact have the ability later this year to allow a purchased upgrade from DM to DM-P. He also clarified that this would not be available with the Standard battery, only Standard + and up. This would make sense if Standard is eventually going to be LFP. Take all of this for what its worth coming from a guide, with an appropriately sized grain of salt.

This would allow you to buy an R1S that qualifies for the $3,750 tax benefit while still having the ability to have the Performance upgrade as long as you don't want FE interior and are fine with only a handful of paint options. Personally I wish they would remove the upcharge on a few more paint options in light of the tax benefit threshold, because not everyone wants a silver R1S.

Sponsored

Oyabro

First Name
Oury
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S, El Cap, Forest Edge, 20's
Occupation
Fixing technical things for simple people
Curious about this being a R1S owner with a Standard+ battery, I decided to charge last night up to 100% I drove this morning about 10 miles and my battery has not dropped below 100% or 277 miles. It's mid-day and still at 100%.

Edit: After driving 13.7 miles it dropped to 99% battery. At 14 miles driven, I saw my dash go from 277 to 276. My quick math says my range capped at 290 on AT tires. When I took delivery, it was charged at 100% and showed 282. Not sure if this info is helpful.

Rivian R1T R1S EPA Test Data confirms Standard Battery and Standard+ are software locked versions of either Large or Max pack batteries IMG_5103

Last edited:

R1SFamilyGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
I do software things
by this, though, mine’s a Large but configured as Standard+
This is from a home charging session yesterday. I got consistent kw/hr every hour of that. Is that confirmation of the charging curve matching Large/Max pack?

Rivian R1T R1S EPA Test Data confirms Standard Battery and Standard+ are software locked versions of either Large or Max pack batteries IMG_5719

NitroNick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Crosstrek
Occupation
EE
Curious about this being a R1S owner with a Standard+ battery, I decided to charge last night up to 100% I drove this morning about 10 miles and my battery has not dropped below 100% or 277 miles. It's mid-day and still at 100%.

Edit: After driving 13.7 miles it dropped to 99% battery. At 14 miles driven, I saw my dash go from 277 to 276. My quick math says my range capped at 290 on AT tires. When I took delivery, it was charged at 100% and showed 282. Not sure if this info is helpful.

IMG_5103.png
My Standard+ R1T does the exact same thing!

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Reading this thread made me miss the days where all packs were Large. Anyone else?

Its nice to have options though I suppose.
Sponsored