Fan noise

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
Alright so best I can tell there are four different fan systems. There’s the gentle little fan that comes on during charging, there’s the HVAC fans, there’s the big guns at the front of the truck, and then there seems to be one other system that at least in my truck is problematic.

The fan runs independently of those other three systems and at least in mine is loud, buzzy, and potentially rubbing on something else. Here’s a link to the video/noise, has anyone else experienced something similar?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sW74j71VFEdLm7TN6
Sponsored

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
Alright so best I can tell there are four different fan systems. There’s the gentle little fan that comes on during charging, there’s the HVAC fans, there’s the big guns at the front of the truck, and then there seems to be one other system that at least in my truck is problematic.

The fan runs independently of those other three systems and at least in mine is loud, buzzy, and potentially rubbing on something else. Here’s a link to the video/noise, has anyone else experienced something similar?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sW74j71VFEdLm7TN6
Mine is exactly the same.

OP
OP

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mine is exactly the same.
This does not inspire hope that the service ticket I have for it will resolve anything. I don’t know why but I find it deeply annoying.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
That sounds like a leaf blower.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

That's a pump/compressor noise. Not a fan.

Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

What? I didn’t hear what you said over the fan noise.

OP
OP

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That's a pump/compressor noise. Not a fan.
What’s interesting is that if that is true, it makes noise even when the climate is turned totally off and the truck hasn’t been driven for hours. I assume that the AC compressor is actually activated by the button on the screen so if that’s off what pump/compressor is this?

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
Same here, sounds pretty bad outside the truck. I have service appointment at the house to deliver my spare, going to ask. I'm 100% sure it's "normal"
All part of the beta testing for 20k discount. (Totally fine and knew this going in)

Jedwards

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
How fast of a charger are you using? Mine has only sounded that loud when I've been charging at an EA Station and it's ramping the fans to cool the battery I assume. I could feel vibration through the floor behind / under the peddles

Sponsored

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
This does not inspire hope that the service ticket I have for it will resolve anything. I don’t know why but I find it deeply annoying.
I just saw another thread about this: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/loud-cabin-noise.6903/

It is annoying. Sounds like it's getting ready to explode. I keep my climate control turned off whenever I exit the truck. If I don't, the compressor comes on whenever I open the truck, even if not planning on driving.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Both my R1T and Model X make similar sounds under certain circumstances.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

What’s interesting is that if that is true, it makes noise even when the climate is turned totally off and the truck hasn’t been driven for hours. I assume that the AC compressor is actually activated by the button on the screen so if that’s off what pump/compressor is this?
Same compressor is used to cool the battery and electronics.

shumdit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 and counting….
Clubs

That is the AC compressor. It is louder than normal so I would make sure that A: the mounting bolts are tight, and B: nothing is against it or the lines (plastic/bracket, etc) that might amplify the inherent noise/vibration of the unit. This was an issue on my Tesla too and IIRC they ended up coming up with a blanket of sorts that wrapped around it to lessen the noise. This was back before there was a Model 3 or Y

NachoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep SRT
Occupation
Rivan pre-order hodl'er
I understand there's some battery management needed, and also that the compressor RPM issue has been addressed from early deliveries, but I haven't heard anything like that while charging. It does get really hot charging 48A, so much that I've added a HVAC unit to the garage. Hindsight a simple duct exhaust would have sufficed.

I do have fan noise up front, most discernible when compressor/heat pump is winding down (tic) like the fan is hitting something. The tic noise fades as the fan slows down.
Sponsored