Sponsored

Dual Motor Noise Comparison

YouKnowWhatsUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 R1T Limestone
Clubs

I picked up a R1T Dual Motor Performance at the beginning of March and I find it to be much louder then any other ev I have been in or owned. It’s not terrible but the sound it makes between 30-40 makes me feel like I’m at the dentist sometimes. Not a wonderful frequency. I was only able to test drive a quad so I don’t really have a good comparison. I have seen multiple people post about it on here. I’m trying to figure out if I should escalate this as a safety concern so they will take my vehicle sooner or wait until my mobile appt in April for their assessment. I live in Los Angeles so if anyone local has a dual motor and wants to meetup and compare it would be appreciated.
I posted two links below to my videos since they are too large to imbed. If anyone wants to share a vid or audio clip I’d appreciate it as well.
Unfortunately I leased so I can’t return it like those of you who finance. I would if I could. I know it seems trivial but I’ve owned three teslas and they make no noise in comparison.

Rivian Video1

Rivian Video2
Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

From reviews, the dual motor is quieter than the quad. Personally, I love the motor whine in my quad...actually makes it seem like the vehicle is doing something and gives you feedback like ICE engine noise. My MINI's electric motor barely made a peep unless you were floored with the radio off and even then could barely hear it. I much prefer the sound of my Rivian. Perhaps you should've test driven one before buying if it's that much a problem for you.

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I can hear what you're saying in video1, the dentist like drill/polisher sound. I'll try to pay attention and see if it exists in my DM.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
My quad seems quieter than those videos.

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
That is quite loud and annoying. I could only imagine this is a defect? I heard the quad is even louder and that's what I'm getting. A bit concerned...

Sponsored

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I love motor whine, but then again, I also love exhaust sounds, induction noises, and especially turbo spool up on my ICE car.

Twitter Fingers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I have a dual and that sounds normal. I enjoy the sounds although I typically don't notice it much with music on.

freejack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Rivian R1S
I updated my initial recording, boosting the offending noise so that it matches closer to what I'm actually hearing in the car. Yours sounds very similar to mine. This will definitely turn off people coming from Teslas. This is my second R1S and I have an R2 ordered but if Rivian thinks this is acceptable then I'm honestly worried for them.

Updated recording

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I can barely hear my QM. When reviewers have said the DM is quieter....I wonder if it was a true comparison, because I can barely hear the QM motors/inverters/gearing.

Golfer04

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Finance
I'm on my second quad and neither one made that noise. Something is wrong. Even the whine is loud (IMO). That might be your tires/alignment, but the "dentist" sound is strange. I've had REALLY good luck with the Normal SC & hope you find the same!

Sponsored

Ottoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 QM
Occupation
Engineer
I test drove a QM and a DM back to back..

The DM was noticeably quieter and felt more isolated/distant with less NVH

I ended up going with the QM and don't find it very intrusive even without music on.

KRG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T DM
Occupation
Tech Bro
Clubs

Maybe I’m weird but actually like the sound of yours. I never liked the near silence of Teslas. I’ll have to check mine when I get back home. I took delivery then flew out of state 2 hours later so not much to go by yet.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
I test drove a QM and a DM back to back..

The DM was noticeably quieter and felt more isolated/distant with less NVH

I ended up going with the QM and don't find it very intrusive even without music on.
Really? The video posted by OP is significantly louder than my quad. There’s no chance I could even get motor noise to pick up if I recorded a video.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Really? The video posted by OP is significantly louder than my quad. There’s no chance I could even get motor noise to pick up if I recorded a video.
Me either. My QM barely makes any motor/inverter/driveline noise.
Sponsored