Dual Motor Noise Comparison

Ottoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 QM
Occupation
Engineer
Really? The video posted by OP is significantly louder than my quad. There’s no chance I could even get motor noise to pick up if I recorded a video.
Yes, Rivian made strides towards improving the NVH levels in their vehicles. the dual Motor set up is an in-house design: more efficient and better packaging and they added noise insulation around the casings to quiet them down as well.

So if the vehicle is that loud my guess is there is something wrong with it.
Sponsored

lslick23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM
I’ve driven a few quads and they are louder than my DM. Your video sounds familiar to mine but definitely louder.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Yes, Rivian made strides towards improving the NVH levels in their vehicles. the dual Motor set up is an in-house design: more efficient and better packaging and they added noise insulation around the casings to quiet them down as well.

Maybe the QM insulation came and went if some have observed QM without it. My 3xxx has plenty of molded sound insulation around my QM cases. Maybe why some are reporting QM being noisy and I can barely hear mine?

Brian-MS90D

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S (Dual Motor, Max pack, LA Silver)
I picked up a R1S Dual Motor Sunday and mine is this loud too. I too was surprised by it and it's about 100000x louder than my previous Tesla Y or S, but it appears to be "normal." I kinda like it actually. It is the loudest at acceleration, regen, and around 35mph. It is pretty quiet and speed or on above ~ 50mph.

Of course, I am experiencing a motor fault which I posted about under the Issues forum category. That seems to be a software or computer glitch, but we'll see.

freejack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Rivian R1S
Traded in my quad for the extra range of the dual and instantly regretted it because of the noise. Couldn't return it because it's a lease and now my only hope is that service will agree that the drive is too loud.

Been choosing to drive the model y over the r1s so I don't have to hear the sound. I simply can't believe that rivian designed enduro to operate at this volume.

Sponsored

Microdowns

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, BMW M3&X5, Audi Allroad, Audi, Tesla 3
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I picked up a R1T Dual Motor Performance at the beginning of March and I find it to be much louder then any other ev I have been in or owned. It’s not terrible but the sound it makes between 30-40 makes me feel like I’m at the dentist sometimes. Not a wonderful frequency. I was only able to test drive a quad so I don’t really have a good comparison. I have seen multiple people post about it on here. I’m trying to figure out if I should escalate this as a safety concern so they will take my vehicle sooner or wait until my mobile appt in April for their assessment. I live in Los Angeles so if anyone local has a dual motor and wants to meetup and compare it would be appreciated.
I posted two links below to my videos since they are too large to imbed. If anyone wants to share a vid or audio clip I’d appreciate it as well.
Unfortunately I leased so I can’t return it like those of you who finance. I would if I could. I know it seems trivial but I’ve owned three teslas and they make no noise in comparison.

Rivian Video1

Rivian Video2
My dual motor R1t was also extremely loud. I submitted my video showing a spectrum analyzer display and immediately got a reaction from Rivian. They determined that a motor replacement was required. One week in the shop, and my truck was returned in perfect shape with virtually no motor noise!! I am one happy camper.

Recommend you read my thread and pursue a motor replacement ASAP.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/dual-motor-noise.23563/

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

My dual motor R1t was also extremely loud. I submitted my video showing a spectrum analyzer display and immediately got a reaction from Rivian. They determined that a motor replacement was required. One week in the shop, and my truck was returned in perfect shape with virtually no motor noise!! I am one happy camper.

Recommend you read my thread and pursue a motor replacement ASAP.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/dual-motor-noise.23563/
What app are you using in your YT video?

Frisbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My first R1T was a LE QM with 20” AT tires. It suffered from a number of problems but as time went by the noise factor ( thumping, whining, clanking) continued to increase. Bad drive unit, half shafts and subframe which Rivian replaced. By the time I dove it home from the SC started all over again. Replacement drive unit was bad. After considerable “discussion” Rivian took it back. I now have a DM R1T (21” tires) which with the exception of the federally mandated pedestrian noise at low speed is a dream to drive and totally quiet. It only has 1200 miles on it at this point so time will tell if it will remain that way.

BCondrey

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
I owned a QM, and then a DM. The DM is almost silent. Put a service ticket in if it is that loud. Take the tech on a road trip with you. The DM is the quietest truck i have ever owned. One reason why I bought it and not the QM on the rebound. Service ticket.

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
I love motor whine, but then again, I also love exhaust sounds, induction noises, and especially turbo spool up on my ICE car.
Nothing better than the sound of some turbo spool. Except maybe for the sound of a large volume, naturally aspirated V8. Or maybe the space sound my ID 4 makes. Come to think of it, I love all car sounds. Except for the sound of a jalopy dragging it's oil pan. That sucks.

Sponsored

ThinAir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I-Pace
Clubs

I picked up a R1T Dual Motor Performance at the beginning of March and I find it to be much louder then any other ev I have been in or owned. It’s not terrible but the sound it makes between 30-40 makes me feel like I’m at the dentist sometimes. Not a wonderful frequency. I was only able to test drive a quad so I don’t really have a good comparison. I have seen multiple people post about it on here. I’m trying to figure out if I should escalate this as a safety concern so they will take my vehicle sooner or wait until my mobile appt in April for their assessment. I live in Los Angeles so if anyone local has a dual motor and wants to meetup and compare it would be appreciated.
I posted two links below to my videos since they are too large to imbed. If anyone wants to share a vid or audio clip I’d appreciate it as well.
Unfortunately I leased so I can’t return it like those of you who finance. I would if I could. I know it seems trivial but I’ve owned three teslas and they make no noise in comparison.

Rivian Video1

Rivian Video2
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who dislikes the sound of the dual motors.

I ordered DM R1T after test driving a quad version of the vehicle. No other options were available. I stupidly assumed that the cars would be similar in sound. When I took delivery of my car last week I made the mistake of not taking it for a spin before I took ownership. Rivian stupidly signed it over to me before suggesting a test drive. It felt a bit like a bait and switch, but I don't think that was the intent. Regardless the lack of a test drive led to a long week for Rivian and myself.

The noise/frequency of the dual motors didn't sit well with my our my wife at all.L ong story short it's my understanding that we are the first people in Canada to return a Rivian. Which I just did today.

What I really wanted to do was swap it for a quad but that was only possible if one was available immediately. As that wasn't possible the refund was the only path forward. Though it was easy, Rivian would not return my $1,500 deposit. I was then told that to get a quad R1T I'd have to make another $1,500 deposit. That is Rivians corporate policy

Well, that was an unpleasant kick to gut so I elected to decline ordering another R1T. Had that not been the case they would have had a locked in a sale instead of a customer thinking twice about things.

Though they lost a sure sale, I must say that the team at the Calgary service center did everything in their power to make this right. They were absolutely great to deal with and went out of their way to get to a better outcome.

For those of you who are considering a Rivian or getting ready to take delivery of one please don't make the same mistake I did. Make sure everything is to your liking before you drive it off the lot.

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Alfa Romeo Giulia
I assume that Rivian will not allow you to take a test drive before signing.

Herb

First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911, John Deere, 1T max DM Performance
I would file a ticket, my DMP is not totally silent, but not obtrusive. I have to listen for it and can't hear with the stereo. Other than that, I only hear it when I floor it. Rivian is definitely louder than others. The Ford Lightning drivetrain is basically silent. I wonder if Rivian uses straight cut gears or gears that are only slightly helical. A straight cut gearbox tends to whine, but can take a lot more torque.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

I picked up a R1S Dual Motor Sunday and mine is this loud too. I too was surprised by it and it's about 100000x louder than my previous Tesla Y or S, but it appears to be "normal." I kinda like it actually. It is the loudest at acceleration, regen, and around 35mph. It is pretty quiet and speed or on above ~ 50mph.

Of course, I am experiencing a motor fault which I posted about under the Issues forum category. That seems to be a software or computer glitch, but we'll see.
The general trend is that it seems to be loud around 30 to 40mph in the DM.

ryunited

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
The general trend is that it seems to be loud around 30 to 40mph in the DM.
I don't know that my DM is crazy loud but it's loudest between 30 and 40 mph.

I generally only notice this when listening to podcasts, with music going, not as noticeable either way.
Sponsored