First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
As long as the missing features can be added via OTA (all the required hardware is actually on the vehicle, no missing components) at a later date- I wouldn't hold off accepting the vehicle.
Sponsored

Thud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
I haven't been paying attention to Fisker but just started reading about the Ocean today. Surprisingly it's made its way onto my short list of eventual replacements for my 2018 Model 3 (#1 spot is my recently reserved R1T of course).

My short take, as I had some concerns which were addressed after a small amount of research:

1) It's currently essentially all 3rd party, from manufacturing to service centers to mobile service
2) warranty is awesome... 6 year comprehensive, 10 year battery
3) for the Ultra model, it severely outdoes the Model Y LR on range, performance, and price
4) Looks good inside and out, though seems to borrow a blend of Kia and Jaguar
5) Solar panels might be a gimmick
6) Bidirectional charging and home emergency power. This is the game-changer that all EV's should jump on board with, especially with all these natural disasters happening on a weekly basis

The reliance on 3rd parties is interesting, but the manufacturing plant has a proven track record with BMW and Jaguar so I wouldn't expect the usual build quality issues that plague early upstarts. So they should be high build quality right out of the gate.

Service centers in the US, there won't be any... but they will be everywhere because they're partnering with Firestone for physical locations, and Cox Automotive for mobile service. So out of the gate they'll have a national network already in place, assuming everybody is trained.

Downsides - well I suppose they can't be too innovative in terms of manufacturing process, and have to work within the capabilities of their partners.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

6) Bidirectional charging and home emergency power. This is the game-changer that all EV's should jump on board with, especially with all these natural disasters happening on a weekly basis
Suddenly solar is not such a gimmick. My fleet of solar EVs will replace a dedicated solar installation on my house.

Thud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Suddenly solar is not such a gimmick. My fleet of solar EVs will replace a dedicated solar installation on my house.
Are the specs of the rooftop solar known? Napkin math estimates about 400khw per year (based on Fisker's 1500 mile claim) but I don't know what assumptions they're making. That would mean the solar panels need to be at least a couple kilowatts worth.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Are the specs of the rooftop solar known? Napkin math estimates about 400khw per year (based on Fisker's 1500 mile claim) but I don't know what assumptions they're making. That would mean the solar panels need to be at least a couple kilowatts worth.
I don't believe they have answered that yet. I expect it to be somewhere around 250-300W. It really is a gimmick on the Fisker since the size of the roof and the efficiency of the vehicle aren't the best. Fisker's 1500 miles is based off "California" which can vary from like 180 to 290 days of blue sky depending on where you live.

Aptera is going to be close to 700W though, and with how efficient they are, it's definitely less of a gimmick.

RivianNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air
Got an email today that my Fisker Ocean One build will be sent to their "manufacturing partner" (guessing Magna) tomorrow (Jan. 5) and that I won't be able to edit my build after March 13.

FWIW, Fisker has been very communicative and has, so far, met all it's promised schedules. It's so disappointing that I reserved my R1S over a year before my Ocean one and I still have no idea when, if ever, I'll be receiving it. :(

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Got an email today that my Fisker Ocean One build will be sent to their "manufacturing partner" (guessing Magna) tomorrow (Jan. 5) and that I won't be able to edit my build after March 13.

FWIW, Fisker has been very communicative and has, so far, met all it's promised schedules. It's so disappointing that I reserved my R1S over a year before my Ocean one and I still have no idea when, if ever, I'll be receiving it. :(
Everyone with a One got this e-mail today I think. Subject says tomorrow is lock but the body gives your actual lock day.

RivianNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air
Everyone with a One got this e-mail today I think. Subject says tomorrow is lock but the body gives your actual lock day.
Yup .. though the final lock dates differ in the emails. I think some folks are misconstruing the email. The way I read it is that Fisker is sending over the 5000 Ocean One order list to Magna. Then the "lock date" (mine is Mar 13) is the last day I have to change the configuration before my car enters the manufacturing line.

I estimate 2months thereafter, the car will be stateside .. in time for their estimated 2023Q2 delivery.

Sponsored

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

I reserved an Ocean on 12/7/2022 and didn't get an email. However, since I made the reservation so recently, I'm not expecting an update or delivery any time soon.

EDIT: Just realized the discussion above was RE: the Ocean One reservation, which I clearly do not have. Good to hear they're moving along, though! Hope they can ramp up production relatively quickly.

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
I don't believe they have answered that yet. I expect it to be somewhere around 250-300W. It really is a gimmick on the Fisker since the size of the roof and the efficiency of the vehicle aren't the best. Fisker's 1500 miles is based off "California" which can vary from like 180 to 290 days of blue sky depending on where you live.

Aptera is going to be close to 700W though, and with how efficient they are, it's definitely less of a gimmick.
The best rooftop panels are currently about 400W and I doubt Fisker's implementation of solar in their automotive rooftop can achieve that level of efficiency, not to mention inconsistent weather, covered/shaded parking and a myriad of other concerns.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I reserved an Ocean on 12/7/2022 and didn't get an email. However, since I made the reservation so recently, I'm not expecting an update or delivery any time soon.

EDIT: Just realized the discussion above was RE: the Ocean One reservation, which I clearly do not have. Good to hear they're moving along, though! Hope they can ramp up production relatively quickly.
Magna is supposed to have all 5000 Ocean Ones produced well before the end of Q2.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The best rooftop panels are currently about 400W and I doubt Fisker's implementation of solar in their automotive rooftop can achieve that level of efficiency, not to mention inconsistent weather, covered/shaded parking and a myriad of other concerns.
Maxeon gen 3 cells that Aptera is using are supposed to be 22-24% efficient. Not sure if Fisker has published who their supplier is yet.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T