Sponsored

Ford/Tesla Deal: Access to Superchargers, adapter coming, future EVs will have NACS (Tesla) port

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
In 2025, Ford will offer next-generation electric vehicles with the North American Charging Standard (NACS) connector built-in, eliminating the need for an adapter to access Tesla Superchargers

I read this as, changing the charging capability. I highly doubt they keep both, that would be seriously expensive.
It’s fine to doubt it, but stating it as happening factually unless Ford states as such, is misleading
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I bet the magic dock was just as a test for the adapter. It's much better for Tesla to offer an adapter vs retrofit every single station. This makes a lot more sense.
Way fewer Tesla stations than CCS vehicles.

EmPickle

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Honda Odyssey, Miata
Occupation
Geek
Meh.. I hope Rivian sticks with CCS. For all the hype on the SC network every time I go to the Fred Meyer in Sandy (today included) I see a Tesla using the EA station and open stalls on the SC.

On second thought this is good for Rivian owners. All those Mach E and Lightnings can use the SC and leave the CCS slots open for us :like:
If you see open stalls at the SC, why isn't this a good thing? It's by far the biggest and fastest expanding network. I wish Rivian offered a retrofit.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I hope Ford has good lawyers, this is a good article explaining why companies did not jump on board when Tesla first talked about sharing.

Hopefully a lot of that is scrubbed from the ford agreement.

OP
OP
itselectric

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
It’s fine to doubt it, but stating it as happening factually unless Ford states as such, is misleading
It's possible. I see your point. They weren't clear if they would physically keep both on the vehicles. I'm sure someone will clarify. Personally, I hope that they don't. CCS is not anywhere near as good as the NACS and I think everyone should be forced to switch over.

If you see open stalls at the SC, why isn't this a good thing? It's by far the biggest and fastest expanding network. I wish Rivian offered a retrofit.
I'm sure Tesla can offer Rivian and others the same deal Ford got. They probably just have to pay some type of fee. The smart companies will do so.

Sponsored

someallenguy

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I'd buy that adapter if Ford or Tesla made it available.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Its not a bad thing. Just pointing out that Tesla driver pulled into the parking lot and had a choice and decided to use the EA station instead of the SC. If I believed all the hype on here regarding the Tesla network there is no good reason that would happen.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I bet the magic dock was just as a test for the adapter. It's much better for Tesla to offer an adapter vs retrofit every single station. This makes a lot more sense.
I certainly agree that the limited roll out was just an initial test to see how it went.

The argument for the Magic Dock was to limit the usage to only locations that were more rural. So that they got more usage.

Having an adapter means that any of the Superchargers can be used.

I don't see this as a win for EV's.

Instead I see it as the death of the magic dock hopes.

For a Ford EV owner its definitely a win.

For a Tesla owner its likely a loss because the location of the port on the Ford means that its going to use the wrong charger. This will lead to unoptimized charging where one stall will go unused if a Ford is charging.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
It's possible. I see your point. They weren't clear if they would physically keep both on the vehicles. I'm sure someone will clarify. Personally, I hope that they don't. CCS is not anywhere near as good as the NACS and I think everyone should be forced to switch over.

I'm sure Tesla can offer Rivian and others the same deal Ford got. They probably just have to pay some type of fee. The smart companies will do so.
Leave it up the end user customer. Not force it to the company level.

If I want to use the Supercharger as an end user, let me buy this adapter. But I also want to use ccs to expand my options more.

HeresRonnie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Gambler
If there is going to be an adaptor for Ford why would that adapter not work for every other CCS? You can charge on a Magic Dock charger now, so no software integration required. I see this as a sign all CCS cars will be able to use SC network soon via an adapter and pay via the Tesla app
I’m surprised Tesla didn’t develop an adapter and roll that out for CCS cars while the magic dock gets slow rolled out.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Not sure it is the biggest or fastest growing, these stats from 9/22 seem to contradict that. Do you have a source that disputes this one?

Edit : Ok, little more research, this does seem to refute that article and is as of April 2023.

Last edited:

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I hope Ford has good lawyers, this is a good article explaining why companies did not jump on board when Tesla first talked about sharing.

Hopefully a lot of that is scrubbed from the ford agreement.
From the press release

" Ford Motor Company said today it reached an agreement with Tesla Motors that will provide Ford electric vehicle customers access to more than 12,000 Tesla Superchargers across the U.S. and Canada, doubling the number of fast-chargers available to Ford EV customers starting Spring 2024. "

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tesla M3P / '21 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Occupation
Software Dev / Architect / Product Designer
Magic Dock is not NACS, and NACS isn't necessarily the physical Tesla plug :D

NACS adds additional communication protocols to the charging connector, this can be a physical CCS or Tesla plug. Magic Dock is designed to work with "legacy" (so to speak) CCS, by using the Tesla app as the billing mechanism.

And yeah, that line about having a Tesla NACS plug from '25 on reads a little ambiguous in terms of whether that's the ONLY plug - i.e., if it is, does that mean that a 2025 Mach-E with a Tesla port can no longer use CCS? Or would it NOW work with Tesla's own Tesla_to_CCS adapter?

EmPickle

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Honda Odyssey, Miata
Occupation
Geek
Its not a bad thing. Just pointing out that Tesla driver pulled into the parking lot and had a choice and decided to use the EA station instead of the SC. If I believed all the hype on here regarding the Tesla network there is no good reason that would happen.
It could be that with a membership, EA is cheaper and maybe they can't charge at home. I have a Tesla and while the SC network is great when I'm traveling, I charge at home 99% of the time. I really don't care what I pay when I'm traveling but right now, it seems there really needs to be better access to charging infrastructure. Tesla has more plugs than all the CSS chargers combined by a factor of 2.