Sponsored

Ford/Tesla Deal: Access to Superchargers, adapter coming, future EVs will have NACS (Tesla) port

OP
OP
itselectric

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
It could be that with a membership, EA is cheaper and maybe they can't charge at home. I have a Tesla and while the SC network is great when I'm traveling, I charge at home 99% of the time. I really don't care what I pay when I'm traveling but right now, it seems there really needs to be better access to charging infrastructure. Tesla has more plugs than all the CSS chargers combined by a factor of 2.
As someone who has owned both a Tesla and non-Tesla EV and took both on cross-country road trips in the past year, there are absolutely zero comparisons between the Tesla SC network and all of the other networks combined.

The amount of locations, reliability, charging speed reliability, ease of use, Tesla has zero competition. Current CCS charging network companies are holding EV adoption back.

If Rivian could get on this same boat, it would be a true blessing for all of us.
Sponsored

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre Order 10/2021, Delivered 8/2022
Think Rivian will do the same? Not a chance.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
As someone who has owned both a Tesla and non-Tesla EV and took both on cross-country road trips in the past year, there are absolutely zero comparisons between the Tesla SC network and all of the other networks combined.

The amount of locations, reliability, charging speed reliability, ease of use, Tesla has zero competition. Current CCS charging network companies are holding EV adoption back.

If Rivian could get on this same boat, it would be a true blessing for all of us.
Best consumer option is for Tesla to sell adapters directly to end customers so that they can use either Tesla chargers or CCS stations.

OP
OP
itselectric

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
Best consumer option is for Tesla to sell adapters directly to end customers so that they can use either Tesla chargers or CCS stations.
That's the plan, with ambiguity for Ford vehicles in 2025 that we discussed previously.

I don't see why Rivian owners and others can't just get the adapter.

MrMetlHed

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep 4xe, R1T (Order 2/20/22, from Shop 2/11/23)
Occupation
Journalist @ Reuters
I'd buy that adapter if Ford or Tesla made it available.
Yeah, this seems like the bigger news here. If Tesla is making an adapter for Ford (as an article on The Verge indicates,) I suspect that it will be available for anyone. So every vehicle that already has CCS can just use the adapter. And any manufacturer can choose to put whatever ports they want in going forward because there's be an adapter in either direction. Win for everyone. Frankly I don't care what's actually in the car if I can get an adapter.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
From the press release

" Ford Motor Company said today it reached an agreement with Tesla Motors that will provide Ford electric vehicle customers access to more than 12,000 Tesla Superchargers across the U.S. and Canada, doubling the number of fast-chargers available to Ford EV customers starting Spring 2024. "
True but hard to trust. It says the adapter will only work with version 3, that 12k number is old (or wrong). Tesla currently as of April has 17k super chargers but they are not mostly level 3. Assuming when they start adding the Tesla port it will open those vehicles it to all stations but that was not Discussed in the article.

Bottom line, I would welcome a Tesla port or a tesla adapter to my vehicle simply because of the options it would add.

I do wait way more frequently at Superchargers than I do at CCS chargers but that is probably because SoCal has tons of Teslas to compete for charging with.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
That's the plan, with ambiguity for Ford vehicles in 2025 that we discussed previously.

That would be great. Perhaps it was the Ford press release, but the presentation had a hint of making end customers possibly have to choose their cars again based on connection type—this would be bad for greater EV adoption

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I thought there were issues with the Lightning charge port location (not sure about Mustang Mach e) and the length of the SuperCharger cable which caused problems when the first Magic Dock location opened. Is Tesla going to retrofit longer charging cables or will Ford move the charge port location?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Yeah, this seems like the bigger news here. If Tesla is making an adapter for Ford (as an article on The Verge indicates,) I suspect that it will be available for anyone. So every vehicle that already has CCS can just use the adapter. And any manufacturer can choose to put whatever ports they want in going forward because there's be an adapter in either direction. Win for everyone. Frankly I don't care what's actually in the car if I can get an adapter.
I would hope that would be possible but they could lock the communications to ford. The article does say activation is by Ford Pass and Ford Pro, that gives me pause as to think it will work.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
This will certainly help Elon get more government money. He loves that.

Sponsored

OP
OP
itselectric

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
I would hope that would be possible but they could lock the communications to ford. The article does say activation is by Ford Pass and Ford Pro, that gives me pause as to think it will work.
Jim Farley mentioned something about API access, so there is some software work it sounds like. My guess is that Ford is paying Tesla some overhead fee for integration purposes.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Jim Farley mentioned something about API access, so there is some software work it sounds like. My guess is that Ford is paying Tesla some overhead fee for integration purposes.
I would buy one from Ford or Tesla if there is a way to get it to work on the Rivian.

MrMetlHed

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep 4xe, R1T (Order 2/20/22, from Shop 2/11/23)
Occupation
Journalist @ Reuters
Oh I'm sure Tesla is going to try to get their cut from manufacturers by charging API access on the backend for payments or something. Would be disappointing but not surprising.

I wonder if they're hoping to get any Inflation Reduction Act money from opening their chargers this way with an adapter -- a payment scheme that way would maybe violate the payment portions of the bill. And would just be frowned upon generally. They've proven already with the magic dock that the adapter doesn't require anything but an app to pay with, nothing from the vehicle itself.

pricedm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Denver, CO near Rivian and Tesla service centers
Vehicles
Tesla
I thought there were issues with the Lightning charge port location (not sure about Mustang Mach e) and the length of the SuperCharger cable which caused problems when the first Magic Dock location opened. Is Tesla going to retrofit longer charging cables or will Ford move the charge port location?
Hopefully Rivian and Ford will relocate the charge port to driver side rear-- as Chevy did with their upcoming EV truck.

Tesla has v4 Supercharger--with longer cord--deployed in a few European locations. Eventually we will see this deployed in USA.

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
WOW, a legacy auto manufacturer actually did something that makes sense for once! Maybe this will help push other companies to move to the NACS standard as well. Yes there's Elon. I don't care, CCS is a turd compared to the Tesla system in every single aspect.
Sponsored