Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Sure, but what if a lot of people didn't like the only LE configuration?
Then they would have bought a non-LE with the clear understanding they’d be delivered later.

Even now, LE order holders were holding out for what they wanted.
And we continue to see their displeasure on the forum because they have to wait years and others didn’t. Do you see how what I’m proposing should’ve prevented this ongoing issue? Rivian overreached by promising speedy delivery AND custom config when it should have been a choice between speedy delivery OR custom config.

I’m not an early reservation holder, I empathize with their frustrations, and I’m proposing something which, if implemented from the start, would probably further delay my delivery relative to LEs since I happen to live close to a service center.

edit:typo
Sponsored

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

That's how CutTheLineKyle rolls baby! You're just a sucker for putting down your deposit, helping Rivian get to a certain reservation threshold to have a huge IPO payday, and patiently waiting in line like everyone else while the Kyles just go get a truck (a Launch Edition with pre-March 1 pricing even though they didn't even reserve) because they "just want to make videos" and use the excitement around Rivian to double their subscriber base.

It pays to be a 'Tuber.
This has been addressed repeatedly. It’s not because he was a prominent YouTuber - it was because he had contacts at Rivian. *Separate* from his YouTubing. Kyle’s a rich bastard with connections.

Chgroth

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover LR4 and Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
Insurance Company Executive
If it was OC he should have it by now.
Ocean Coast interiors for the R1S were causing delivery delays. I had to change mine to black in order to avoid that.

rapPayne

First Name
Rap
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Yes - if I had a weird configuration, I would understand. I don’t. R1S black/black Adventure pack.

And I get that the communication team has its issues - poorly led, bad executive choices, and front line folks who aren’t empowered or informed. So, I accept that the info stream lacks a lot. I even accept that some favored folks like the Rivian Stories guys will get to to the front of the line.

But none of that explains a company that simply doesn’t give any credence to loyalty - to when the customer placed an order and put up a deposit. Wouldn’t first orders just logically be filled - if not first - then reasonably early? But Rivian doesn’t seem to have done that -I think when you placed an order isn’t a factor at all.

it’s just fundamentally disappointing. … from a company that talks about its values …
I agree with a lot of that, but I have to defend Rivian about loyalty. I feel a *HUGE* loyalty from Rivian, when RJ honored the original pricing. They had every legal right to raise prices on us.

I'm bummed that later reservations are getting theirs before me. But I've got to agree that by "ignoring" the chronological order and batching configurations, they're increasing the overall speed that people are getting their trucks.

I see that as very smart, very organized, very caring. Nobody's perfect but I love how Rivian is doing things.

OP
OP

LDBH

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR4, jaguar ipace, Porsche 911 and 928
Occupation
Consultant
I agree with a lot of that, but I have to defend Rivian about loyalty. I feel a *HUGE* loyalty from Rivian, when RJ honored the original pricing. They had every legal right to raise prices on us.

I'm bummed that later reservations are getting theirs before me. But I've got to agree that by "ignoring" the chronological order and batching configurations, they're increasing the overall speed that people are getting their trucks.

I see that as very smart, very organized, very caring. Nobody's perfect but I love how Rivian is doing things.
Agree that batching makes sense, as does credence to service capacity in a geography. But communication to the earliest POs and maybe assigning them a Guide - Would that be difficult?
On the issue of holding the price - let’s be clear that Rivian did that after it announced a unilateral price increase with no exception for those who previously placed orders. It was only AFTER an avalanche of criticism and disbelief that they reversed course. The whole episode is Exhibit B for the point about poor communication choices. (Exhibit A - being lying to investors and the market about whether they were going to implement a price hike when the company apparently had documents in their files saying they needed a price hike. But, what the heck, it’s only a violation of federal securities laws. Why pay attention to all that silly stuff about transparency.)
Great concept, great product, enticing story - but communication choices leave something on the table.
Sponsored