Gauging Interest in R1 Frunk Organizer

perkinskit

First Name
Kit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, R1T
I've been using a high quality trunk organizer from Amazon (the Rola one in the picture) in my frunk, and it's pretty nice. The bin walls are movable and the firm bottom + handles makes it easy to take out if I need to access anything below the frunk deck.

BUT it would be really nice to have one that fits the R1 frunk perfectly so there's no wasted space. See the screen grab from CAD attached of the preliminary design. Could even make one of the compartments insulated (for ice cream on the way back from the grocery store etc).

I'm trying to decide if I should get production going, so please let me know here if you're interested in getting one (no commitment of course).

I'm also interested to hear any ideas/input on this!

Rivian R1T R1S Gauging Interest in R1 Frunk Organizer 81KqiDzER4L._AC_SL1500_

Rivian R1T R1S Gauging Interest in R1 Frunk Organizer FrunkCAD
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I would definitely be interested. Were you planning to make it soft or semi-soft sided like the Rola organizer or hard sided?

OP
OP
perkinskit

perkinskit

First Name
Kit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, R1T
I would definitely be interested. Were you planning to make it soft or semi-soft sided like the Rola organizer or hard sided?
Nice! I'm thinking just like the Rola - soft sides with a hard bottom. That way you can still easily fold it up if you need it out of the way (and for shipping), and I don't think you give anything up.

Zig

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T - Launch Edition (El Cap/Black Mt)
Clubs

I also use the Rola currently. I suggest making two or three compartments fit the width of reusable grocery bag size, around 7-8".

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Nice! I'm thinking just like the Rola - soft sides with a hard bottom. That way you can still easily fold it up if you need it out of the way (and for shipping), and I don't think you give anything up.
I agree. I have used some version of those bins in almost every vehicle I've owned. They are very useful!

Sponsored

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Price dependent, for sure, but I'd love to see what you come up with! The dividers would need to be adjustable though, otherwise it wouldn't be as useful, and you'd spend more time removing and re-adding it depending on what you stick up there...

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
I don't know if you want non-positive responses, but for me, if it ends up being more than the ~$50 I paid for the generic trunk organizer off Amazon, I'm not sure having one custom-fit for the Rivian has any benefit.

Sure, it doesn't fill the space perfectly, but the space around the organizer is still very useful as-is (i.e., I often pad out the space with random groceries).

Also, the generic one I have expands section-by-section, so when I use it, I can open it to just the parts I need. I definitely wouldn't want one that didn't have that feature.

Finally, having one so specific to the Rivian would mean it might not work in a future vehicle. (Possibly even a future R1 vehicle; notice how much Tesla has changed their Model S frunk design over the years!)

Just leaving this here in case it helps in your decision making. Hopefully I'm in the minority, always happy to see people build products and/or businesses.

technerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Bronco, 2022 R1T, 2021 Model 3
Clubs

I'm interested, but probably only if it's under $100. I use the frunk constantly with a shitty organizer for groceries and anything I don't want rattling around in the back seat.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I picked up four Yakima EXO Geartotes for like $40/pair during Holiday sales and love them, we use them every day. I can fit 2 in the frunk and put stuff on either side. The problem is those funky angles.

If we had something modular like that with handles and you could pull some things out, but not all, 👌

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
It depends on the price point. If it was competitive with generic solutions, around 50 bucks, I would be interested.

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
I picked up four Yakima EXO Geartotes for like $40/pair during Holiday sales and love them, we use them every day. I can fit 2 in the frunk and put stuff on either side. The problem is those funky angles.

If we had something modular like that with handles and you could pull some things out, but not all, 👌
What do those look like in the frunk? I like the idea of not everything coming out at the same time!

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Software
I don't know if you want non-positive responses, but for me, if it ends up being more than the ~$50 I paid for the generic trunk organizer off Amazon, I'm not sure having one custom-fit for the Rivian has any benefit.

Sure, it doesn't fill the space perfectly, but the space around the organizer is still very useful as-is (i.e., I often pad out the space with random groceries).

Also, the generic one I have expands section-by-section, so when I use it, I can open it to just the parts I need. I definitely wouldn't want one that didn't have that feature.

Finally, having one so specific to the Rivian would mean it might not work in a future vehicle. (Possibly even a future R1 vehicle; notice how much Tesla has changed their Model S frunk design over the years!)

Just leaving this here in case it helps in your decision making. Hopefully I'm in the minority, always happy to see people build products and/or businesses.
Thanks for sharing! Did you buy this one?

HOMEVE Extra Large Collapsible Trunk Organizer With Cooler Bag,3 Compartments Storage Organizer With Cover https://a.co/d/3QMEJeE[/URL Edit: ...uilt with 2mm PE Board https://a.co/d/dC6JYsI

Last edited:

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Thanks for sharing! Did you buy this one?
I bought the one I linked to:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08T68MHT6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works really well in the frunk. Fully open, it's about 85% the width of the trunk. The sides and bottom are semi-rigid, so things don't roll around or get broken. The included insulated back is occasionally useful.

Also, it didn't smell bad. We had bought a different one that was the same dimensions, but it smelled awful (like dog poo) and we couldn't get the smell out, even after a week putting it in the sun.
Sponsored