Sponsored

Gen 2 R1S Delivery Woes

Eruantien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Hi, all!

I just picked up my Gen 2 R1S today and am already having quite a few issues with it. One being a safety issue (hazard lights don’t turn on/button doesn’t work).

My main question is, for things present on delivery day, are they pretty good about getting you in and fixing it quickly, or do you have to join the months long queue?

How many problems would be enough where one would consider returning in the 7 day period?
Sponsored

ssincl3

First Name
Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I’d also say, depending on the issue, they usually fix everything that they need to when you first bring it back after delivery, and for me I’ve not needed to go back for any manufacturer defect after they addressed everything in the first visit. Just think of it as delayed delivery of your new car.

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23R1S(DM,Max); '23R1T(QM,Lg); '23 & '19 Bolts
Hi, all!

I just picked up my Gen 2 R1S today and am already having quite a few issues with it. One being a safety issue (hazard lights don’t turn on/button doesn’t work).

My main question is, for things present on delivery day, are they pretty good about getting you in and fixing it quickly, or do you have to join the months long queue?

How many problems would be enough where one would consider returning in the 7 day period?
First, congratulations on your new Rivian, @Eruantien! The "Owners Guide" is your friend, but sometimes it's hard to find everything you need. So here are some short cuts:

(1) Your R1S is a computer on wheels. For virtually any problem with virtually any computing device, the first Tech Support question will be, "have you tried re-booting it yet?" In this case, consider starting with a screen reset (simultaneously hold down the far left and far right steering wheel buttons until screens go blank). If that doesn't resolve the problem, consider continuing to a vehicle reset (simultaneously hold the far left steering wheel button and the four-way hazard lights button above mirror until screens go blank). Sometimes the screen reset is called an "infotainment reset" or "soft reset" or "software restart". Sometimes the vehicle reset is called a "hard reset" or "vehicle restart".

(2) If the screen reset and vehicle reset don't resolve the problem, call Rivian Service at 855-RIVIAN-5 (855-748-4265) ASAP. This gets you to a call center in Michigan that can (1) help with further troubleshooting, because they can talk you through a lot of common problems; (2) help figure out any short-term safety hazards and establish a priority for service; and (3) facilitate an appointment (Service Center or mobile) with the appropriate urgency (based on risk of stranding and risk of damage/injury).

(3) If you're considering invoking the seven-day return, make sure you tell them that at the beginning. You don't want them making incorrect assumptions about the level of urgency as you understand it.

(4) I'm guessing your nearest SC might be South San Francisco. I've seen mixed reviews of that center. If they're not responding to your level of urgency, @Eruantien, consider asking for a different Service Center.

Our R1's are very complicated vehicles. The good part is that R1's can do things other vehicles can't do. The bad part is that there's a lot to go wrong. The next good part is that Rivian has robust systems of technical support. The next bad part is that Rivian struggles to establish and maintain excellent fit/finish and service as a consistent standard. "When Rivian is good, it is very good indeed...." [https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/44650/there-was-a-little-girl]

Most of us on this forum -- at least, those of us who stayed -- are very pleased overall. (My wife and I just bought an R1T, to do things our R1S can't do, and we are keeping both vehicles.) Our R1's are the most enjoyable thing we know how to do for the environment. There's quite a learning curve, for owners and for the company, that comes along with the complexity of these amazing vehicles.

I hope this helps. Very best wishes!

DH0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Stuff
Hi, all!

I also just picked up a Gen 2 in the last couple days and have a few issues (mainly door alignments, one small area the size of a quarter where there seems to be a paint imperfection). Curious what your issues are in particular??

My ticket resulted in a service being scheduled in October because they are all cosmetic, nothing that would effect the drivability of the vehicle. I was told at delivery that any drivability issues would receive high priority.

Sponsored

Electrified Outdoors

Site Sponsor
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T Quad, 2024 Rivian R1S Quad
Occupation
Real Estate
Clubs

Yes what are the issues? The non-working hazard flasher is a safety issue in my opinion, so make sure you communicate that to service.

You can absolutely return it during the 7 days 1,000 mi return. If you were not happy with it.

SW3RV3C1TY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T DM
I’m scheduled for my first service visit next week and I took delivery on 5/17 and the earliest service date was 7/3. So depending on location and service center size maybe you can get in sooner. I have 1 request with I think 11 items on it. Many are cosmetic or not safety related, but best of luck and hopefully it’s only a single visit!

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

With service, there are a few things going on.....The initial schedule as published by the SC, the mobile service schedule that is unpublished along with the empty slots they leave in the SC schedule that is unpublished.

From each item I experienced they seem an initial schedule and will call you to go over the issue(s) in detail and go over the 3 options above. If your item(s) can be done by mobile and there is a slot and you want it they will schedule it. If your item is a priority they could mobile it sooner or SC it sooner.

While not 100% transparent initially, I've been very pleased with the items I had fixed mostly cosmetic. I received uber credits to take me back and forth to work one time and the other they scheduled an uber for me to pick up a rental car. During one visit they also did a check of the motor fluid levels that was pushed onto my list by corporate.

OP
OP

Eruantien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Thanks, all! Really appreciate the feedback and encouragement.

I did pour through the owner’s manual before it arrived, and after looking for steps yesterday. I did try the screen reset but that didn’t solve the issue.

I also tried the vehicle reset but couldn’t even perform that function since the hazard light button doesn’t work.

I don’t want to return if I don’t have to because I do LOVE the vehicle! It drives so wonderfully and luckily I haven’t noticed any rattles or excessive road noise, which is important to me.

Luckily the problems are fairly minor in the grand scheme:
- Hazard button and SOS button are totally non-functional. Seems a safety issue.
- Liftgate alerts every time it opens saying there’s and object detected but there’s nothing there.
- One of the key cards is clearly someone else’s. It doesn’t work and the numbers don’t match what’s in the app.
- Driver side speakers seem to be malfunctioning. They’re at least half the volume or more than other speakers in the car.
- Door handles make an awful screeching sound when presenting.
- Area on paint that was clearly (poorly) touched up.

My service center is San Jose. I did enter these in the app and texted my delivery person and they said they’d take a look. Is the recommendation still that I might have better luck calling the main service line and mentioning the safety issue and possibility of returning, or leave it to the SJ team?

Thanks again!

Sponsored

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My service center is San Jose. I did enter these in the app and texted my delivery person and they said they’d take a look. Is the recommendation still that I might have better luck calling the main service line and mentioning the safety issue and possibility of returning, or leave it to the SJ team?
Consider doing both, @Eruantien, because the person in each role knows things the other doesn't and may have authority to do things the other can't.

Courteous to let each know you're also working with the other. They may respond with suggestions about how to get the best performance out of Rivian as a team.

Please continue keeping us in touch. Very best wishes!

emlo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
First, congratulations on your new Rivian, @Eruantien! The "Owners Guide" is your friend, but sometimes it's hard to find everything you need. So here are some short cuts:

(1) Your R1S is a computer on wheels. For virtually any problem with virtually any computing device, the first Tech Support question will be, "have you tried re-booting it yet?" In this case, consider starting with a screen reset (simultaneously hold down the far left and far right steering wheel buttons until screens go blank). If that doesn't resolve the problem, consider continuing to a vehicle reset (simultaneously hold the far left steering wheel button and the four-way hazard lights button above mirror until screens go blank). Sometimes the screen reset is called an "infotainment reset" or "soft reset" or "software restart". Sometimes the vehicle reset is called a "hard reset" or "vehicle restart".

(2) If the screen reset and vehicle reset don't resolve the problem, call Rivian Service at 855-RIVIAN-5 (855-748-4265) ASAP. This gets you to a call center in Michigan that can (1) help with further troubleshooting, because they can talk you through a lot of common problems; (2) help figure out any short-term safety hazards and establish a priority for service; and (3) facilitate an appointment (Service Center or mobile) with the appropriate urgency (based on risk of stranding and risk of damage/injury).

(3) If you're considering invoking the seven-day return, make sure you tell them that at the beginning. You don't want them making incorrect assumptions about the level of urgency as you understand it.

(4) I'm guessing your nearest SC might be South San Francisco. I've seen mixed reviews of that center. If they're not responding to your level of urgency, @Eruantien, consider asking for a different Service Center.

Our R1's are very complicated vehicles. The good part is that R1's can do things other vehicles can't do. The bad part is that there's a lot to go wrong. The next good part is that Rivian has robust systems of technical support. The next bad part is that Rivian struggles to establish and maintain excellent fit/finish and service as a consistent standard. "When Rivian is good, it is very good indeed...." [https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/44650/there-was-a-little-girl]

Most of us on this forum -- at least, those of us who stayed -- are very pleased overall. (My wife and I just bought an R1T, to do things our R1S can't do, and we are keeping both vehicles.) Our R1's are the most enjoyable thing we know how to do for the environment. There's quite a learning curve, for owners and for the company, that comes along with the complexity of these amazing vehicles.

I’d think the hazard button wouldn’t be a software issue. Something like that should be physical not electronic. My guess is faulty wiring or a blown fuse. My non-functional charging pad and some usb-c ports not providing power was a blown fuse (F48).

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
U.S. Border Patrol

Dave, you just made it to my DM list for whenever I have an issue with my R1S!

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dave, you just made it to my DM list for whenever I have an issue with my R1S!
We help each other, @Ratty Poopdeck. Glad to be part of this community!

If you knew how much I don't know, you would be afraid. Fortunately we all have each other....

Very best wishes!

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Tell them the car is malfunctioning with those things but with the hazard button not working you can't do a reset and are worried you'll get stranded if more things malfunction.
Sponsored