Sponsored

BourboNole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green/Forest Edge R1T on 21s
No matter what, you simply can't get around the mass of an R1. That's the main issue. It's a large, heavy brick that you're trying to push through the air. I really would've want to drive an R1 any faster than I've driven my Grand Cherokee, which was 113 mph. It's not a great experience simple due to the vehicle on its entirety. Vehicles designed for high top speeds are a completely different animal.
Assuming its the GC in your profile picture its not even remotely the same thing. The extra mass is a benefit for stability at speed if you have the power to move it. Your GC is a tin can compared to the R1 (I know, I sold my 2012 about 2 months before I got my R1T). The SRT's were specifically engineered with numerous aero enhancements and still don't feel as sure footed as the R1, probably in part because of the R1's extremely low cD. But honestly 110 is hardly "speed" in the first place to even get a real feel for it. All of these people talking like 110 is dangerous on a wide open, well maintained highway with a modern performance vehicle are laughable.
Sponsored

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Even if one has the skill to control the vehicle, no one can control how others drive or a deer that might run out in front of you or some other random road debris that's not supposed to be there.
True, but the same thing can happen at legal highway speeds with the same end result.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Assuming its the GC in your profile picture its not even remotely the same thing. The extra mass is a benefit for stability at speed if you have the power to move it. Your GC is a tin can compared to the R1 (I know, I sold my 2012 about 2 months before I got my R1T). The SRT's were specifically engineered with numerous aero enhancements and still don't feel as sure footed as the R1, probably in part because of the R1's extremely low cD. But honestly 110 is hardly "speed" in the first place to even get a real feel for it. All of these people talking like 110 is dangerous on a wide open, well maintained highway with a modern performance vehicle are laughable.
My Grand Cherokee is more than 5,000 lbs. Its far from a tin can. The mass of the vehicle isn't aiding in high speed stability. Like a Rivian, it's a brick. SUVs aren't aerodynamic, especially when they are square in shape. The suspension isn't made for high speed stability. Hell, the alignment specs aren't even designed for driving high speeds. I'm sure you love the idea of running high speeds in a Rivian but the fact is that it's simply not designed for that, so it will never be like a sportscar deep into triple digit speeds.

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

But honestly 110 is hardly "speed" in the first place to even get a real feel for it. All of these people talking like 110 is dangerous on a wide open, well maintained highway with a modern performance vehicle are laughable.
Based on your qualifiers (highway, well maintained, performance, modern), I agree with you. I do have a concern on doing anything close to 110 on any of these:
  • Residential streets
  • Any streets with curbs or people or animals
  • Poorly maintained highways
  • Roads with multiple access points (because people mistake distance for lower velocity - pulling out in front of someone doing 90 can ruin everyone’s day)

Sponsored

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

Everyone here may be an awesome driver. My concern is not with speed but with the differential in speed such that you cannot control other drivers or the crappy road surface or the things that jump in front of your car because they misjudge your velocity

OP
OP
windblowlc

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
My Grand Cherokee is more than 5,000 lbs. Its far from a tin can. The mass of the vehicle isn't aiding in high speed stability. Like a Rivian, it's a brick. SUVs aren't aerodynamic, especially when they are square in shape. The suspension isn't made for high speed stability. Hell, the alignment specs aren't even designed for driving high speeds. I'm sure you love the idea of running high speeds in a Rivian but the fact is that it's simply not designed for that, so it will never be like a sportscar deep into triple digit speeds.
These are two totally different vehicles. Grand Cherokee is ice with real high CG, not built for speed. R1T is BEV with low CG, sport suspension, and proper tires. No comparison at all.

BourboNole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green/Forest Edge R1T on 21s
Based on your qualifiers (highway, well maintained, performance, modern), I agree with you. I do have a concern on doing anything close to 110 on any of these:
  • Residential streets
  • Any streets with curbs or people or animals
  • Poorly maintained highways
  • Roads with multiple access points (because people mistake distance for lower velocity - pulling out in front of someone doing 90 can ruin everyone’s day)
Certainly 100+ on a surface street (especially residential), and even some poorly maintained highways is reckless. I would tend to say driving over 100 on a road you aren't familiar with is a bad idea. But I used to commute to work on a wide highway with no on ramps for 20 miles, and I was leaving the city heading to the coast, and there were times I didn't pass a single car that entire stretch. There were plenty of days I cruised over 100 because there wasn't any reason to slow. I usually slowed to 90 to pass people but nearly everyone on that road went 80 (70mph speed limit) so I wasn't overtaking at a large speed differential which is certainly dangerous.

Last edited:

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

Now, I’m curious… what’s the top-end speed in reverse? 😉

Sponsored

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

0-60 sure, but they’d all beat you in the 1/4 mile and absolutely destroy you in the 1/2 mile or longer because of the low top speed.
Actually, not so in the 1/4 mile. The GT3RS Porsche is a 10.9 at 126mph car, and in fact the GT-R is about the same, with most people running low 11's at lower trap speeds. The Rivian has run 10.5 at 130mph. Aventador is about a dead heat.....and the Aventador Roadster is slower than the new Rivian Ascend.

OP
OP
windblowlc

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
Latest update From Rivian

I got a second call back from another Rivian Rep in Laguna Beach confirming the first discussion I had w/Rivian. He told me the Pikes Peak version is a non-production Quad Max with a higher top speed limiter. The production Ascend models (Tri Max, Quad Max) will have top speed capped at 110 mph in all modes except Sport w/Launch Mode when they can attain 130 mph.

Reactions: sub

AYAYRON

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
It's a function of tires. Gen 1 is speed limited because the tires are H rated, which is 130mph limit but with margin of safety and load, Rivian has taken safe and conservative approach.

The Ascend models come with Y-rated tires (Pilot Sport S5) and are rated 186+ mph so even with load, the speed can reach 130 safely.
Rivian said different gen 1 is limited because of the motors RPM limit, not the tires
Sponsored