Sponsored

bmwlad24

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Nissan Murano(trading), 2024 Acura MDX Type-S
I definitely agree the R1 isn't designed to cruise at 100. My hood buffets more than I would like above 80, and anything above that kills range anyway. But for a quick passing blast it is very stable and capable. Around town though it is perfect for driving fast. Off the line it is unflappable. 0-60 is as drama free as any car I've ever driven, especially anything with this level of power.
If I can cruise at 100 comfortably in my MDX and Murano, I’m sure I can in the R1S.
Sponsored

OP
OP
windblowlc

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
Photos of the tires on the preview vehicles don't lie however. I think it's interesting that they spec'ed a higher load rating on the rear, but I suppose it does pretty much carry the entire weight of the truck during a launch...
1719430532443-dh.png

1719430565241-lv.png
Thank you for the undeniable fact on the speed rating. The rear tires have much bigger contact patch and as the result a higher load rating.

BourboNole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green/Forest Edge R1T on 21s
If I can cruise at 100 comfortably in my MDX and Murano, I’m sure I can in the R1S.
Its solid up there for sure but my hood flexes way more than I would like for extended cruising and I'm guessing the efficiency may drop close to 1 mi/kwh.

bmwlad24

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Nissan Murano(trading), 2024 Acura MDX Type-S
Its solid up there for sure but my hood flexes way more than I would like for extended cruising and I'm guessing the efficiency may drop close to 1 mi/kwh.
Understandable…I remember the 24 GX550 I drove, the hood flap made me not wanna go past 70 much less.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
It is stupid at those speed on crowded public roads but on a clear highway I'd bet doing 110+ mph in a Gen 2 Quad with updated suspension/tires and a near 400 lbs of weight trim is not the same as doing 110 mph in a Gen 1 Quad. 110+ in the Rivian is much safer than attempting 139 in a Civic. That's lift-off speed without down force modifications.
I'm not sure of your real world experience, but I'll just say that I completely disagree. A largish, heavy, higher riding SUV just isn't built for top speed, no matter how you slice it. In fairness, a Civic isn't exactly built for top speed either, but at least it's a much lighter, lower vehicle that cuts through the wind a lot better. So although I've never owned nor driven a Civic in my life, I'd still think that 139 mph in a Civic would feel far safer to me than 110 in a Rivian.

That said, 168 mph in my Audi doesn't even raise an eyebrow. German cars are built for driving Autobahns, so they are incredibly stable and feel great when running deep into triple digit speeds.

Sponsored

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

I might add that riding on the back of a motorcycle doing 125 is dumber than riding shotgun in a SUV doing 125. Yes, driver skill is relevant but lack of any margin of safety is just plain wrong.

BourboNole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green/Forest Edge R1T on 21s
I'm not sure of your real world experience, but I'll just say that I completely disagree. A largish, heavy, higher riding SUV just isn't built for top speed, no matter how you slice it. In fairness, a Civic isn't exactly built for top speed either, but at least it's a much lighter, lower vehicle that cuts through the wind a lot better. So although I've never owned nor driven a Civic in my life, I'd still think that 139 mph in a Civic would feel far safer to me than 110 in a Rivian.

That said, 168 mph in my Audi doesn't even raise an eyebrow. German cars are built for driving Autobahns, so they are incredibly stable and feel great when running deep into triple digit speeds.
On lowest setting ground clearance is 8 inches (standard civic is ~7), with the majority of the weight in the skateboard chassis, which is much wider and longer than the chassis of any civic, and any civic short of a Type R is likely being pushed to the edge of its performance envelope at 140 unlike a Rivian at 110 which has a lot more to give. I haven't pushed mine to 110 but at 100 my R1T doesn't feel like anything is amiss. The only indication of excess speed is the dropping efficiency and the hood flexing which starts to appear in the low 80s.

savethemanual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2
Agreed.

The difference between 'Thinking' you have the skill to control a vehicle even slightly out of control at 100mph on a public road and 'actually' having that skill is you never driving again. Prison or death, and it wont be your choice.
Even if one has the skill to control the vehicle, no one can control how others drive or a deer that might run out in front of you or some other random road debris that's not supposed to be there.

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'89 Trans Am GTA, '22 Rivian R1T, Pre-order '26 R2
Occupation
General Manager - Retail & Service
Clubs

RJ had mentioned in multiple previous interviews that the 110 isnt due to tires but because of the weight of the vehicles, I also remember when people were invited to the original gen 1, R1 event in Normal, those trucks were also doing more than 110 in the straight away. wth launch its good that they are increasing the speed because if they dont then you will never get to the fastest potential 1/4 mile of the vehicles. I still think it needs a track mode for more than just 1/4 mile launches. Some people may be into time attacks, scca, time trial, fast laps, etc. it should be maybe from a dead stop, track mode activated, 5 min interval, then goes back to normal performance. this way you can't just turn it on the highway at any time(at least without stopping, and if you do, you can still do this in launch mode). But it gives people more options and more uses than just 1/4 mile pulls.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
On lowest setting ground clearance is 8 inches (standard civic is ~7), with the majority of the weight in the skateboard chassis, which is much wider and longer than the chassis of any civic, and any civic short of a Type R is likely being pushed to the edge of its performance envelope at 140 unlike a Rivian at 110 which has a lot more to give. I haven't pushed mine to 110 but at 100 my R1T doesn't feel like anything is amiss. The only indication of excess speed is the dropping efficiency and the hood flexing which starts to appear in the low 80s.
No matter what, you simply can't get around the mass of an R1. That's the main issue. It's a large, heavy brick that you're trying to push through the air. I really would've want to drive an R1 any faster than I've driven my Grand Cherokee, which was 113 mph. It's not a great experience simple due to the vehicle on its entirety. Vehicles designed for high top speeds are a completely different animal.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

RJ had mentioned in multiple previous interviews that the 110 isnt due to tires but because of the weight of the vehicles, I also remember when people were invited to the original gen 1, R1 event in Normal, those trucks were also doing more than 110 in the straight away. wth launch its good that they are increasing the speed because if they dont then you will never get to the fastest potential 1/4 mile of the vehicles. I still think it needs a track mode for more than just 1/4 mile launches. Some people may be into time attacks, scca, time trial, fast laps, etc. it should be maybe from a dead stop, track mode activated, 5 min interval, then goes back to normal performance. this way you can't just turn it on the highway at any time(at least without stopping, and if you do, you can still do this in launch mode). But it gives people more options and more uses than just 1/4 mile pulls.
RJ said at reveal in 2018 the trucks were going to be limited to 125.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
True, but 110 mph is already reached before the end of a quarter mile. So in that case, anyone running a Rivian at a quarter mile drag strip will absolutely need to be in launch mode in order to complete a quarter mile run without the vehicle hitting the top speed limit.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

"Launch Modes" are gimmicks. Hell, I'm of the opinion that they should be GPS-locked to be disallowed if GPS thinks you're on a public street. I likewise have zero problem with a 110 MPH cap. Even that is higher than it should be for public roads in North America. (When Rivian starts selling in Europe, German-spec vehicles should be unlocked, of course. And anywhere else with higher speed limits or no speed limit at all.)

Lock higher speed behind a dedicated "track" mode that is GPS locked to not engage if you're on a street. Obviously that GPS locking isn't perfect, but oh well. If you bought a giant heavy pickup truck to race it, that's on you. Maybe have Rivian offer a service to unlock vehicles that are purchased for the express purpose of racing, sold as 'not road legal' vehicles. If you really want to race an R1T, buy the race version; the way Porsche, McLaren, and others sell "race only" vehicles.

OP
OP
windblowlc

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired

The Rivian doesn't have any problem whatsoever in cutting through the wind at any speed. The weight of the Rivian in sport mode/lowest height suspension with proper tires (the reason for Michelin Pilot Sport S 5 on the Gen 2) actually allows it to remain stable on road much better than a Civic with no weight, no rear spoiler, and no down force. That's my personal real world experience driving the Porsche 911 TTS and Cayenne Turbo Coupe cars. They deploy their spoilers at proper speed for the required down force. And now the Rivian Quad.