First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
I just had a conversation with a Rivian Customer Rep about the top speed for the R1 gen 2. The following is from the confirmation email I received on this subject.

What he said was that Ascend vehicles (tri max and quad max) can attain a 130 mph top speed DURING LAUNCH MODE. In ANY OTHER MODES, it can only go 110 mph. For the Rivian Gen 2 Ascend owners out there, this means you can only achieve the 130 mph top speed in drag races from a standstill with Launch mode activated. I questioned him multiple times but this is the confirmation email he sent me. I know on the Quad Max gen 2 that Gardner Nichols raced in Pikes Peak Hill Climb and in videos prior to the race he definitely mentioned speeds above 110 mph at times and often enough.

Rivian R1T R1S Top Speed of Gen 2 R1 Ascend Models = 130mph in Launch Mode / 110mph all other modes 7578a182-e877-4fec-8076-965dcbb399cf

Hi Loc,

Hope that you are having an amazing day so far!

I am reaching out to you to provide written confirmation regarding the question for the top speed.

You can find the information below:

Adventure and Ascend vehicles will reach a top speed of 110 mph

When in Launch Mode, Ascend vehicles can achieve a top speed of 130 mph

If there is anything else I can assist with, please do not hesitate and let me know.

Your fellow adventurer,
Nikola
Sponsored

OP
OP
windblowlc

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Genuinely curious, is there a want/need to go above 110mph when you're not on a dedicated track?
What's the use of a high performance vehicle if you cannot go over 110 mph at times? Most vehicles on the road are not limited at 110 mph. The Honda Civic can reach a top speed of 139 mph.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

It's a function of tires. Gen 1 is speed limited because the tires are H rated, which is 130mph limit but with margin of safety and load, Rivian has taken safe and conservative approach.

The Ascend models come with Y-rated tires (Pilot Sport S5) and are rated 186+ mph so even with load, the speed can reach 130 safely.

MidnightRivian

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Here is the million dollar question.

Can I drive in launch mode permanently around town like on the Autobahn and on the track?

Sponsored

OP
OP
windblowlc

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
What use is there in going over 100mph? Why is everyone so concerned with top speed. I could care less if my truck goes 150. My Tesla could go 150 and I never cared to try since I smoked everyone 0-60.
Not everyone is so concerned with top speed. This one is for the interested few.

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

I think limits of adhesion start to have a big factor in limiting the top speed. At 3500 lbs with a contact patch of 32 sq in per tire (I’m guessing), 144 sq in total, the weight per sq in (assuming no body roll or tire deformation) is 24 lbs/ sq in. At 7000 lbs, each sq in needs to support 48 lbs. You are going to hit the limits of what the tires can do (brake and turn) earlier.

But all bets are off on the Georgia highways around Hotlanta. 110 seemed to be the average speed last time I was there. Going slower was dangerous

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Also help sell the vehicle to certain segment of the buyers.

If Rivian is ever to export R1 to EMEA, top speed is a differentiator (think of Autobahn).

I'm old enough to remember when DOT mandated speedometer to show no more than 85 mph, since the national speed limit at the time was 55mph (due to oil embargo in the 70's). And part of NV highways had no speed limit came to an end.

The most important acceleration for most drivers in US, is the acceleration between 60 to 90mph for passing other vehicles safely, based on my years of experience driving on almost all the states. Passing double track semi uphill to pass using passing lane requires a quick acceleration.

Last, some people do take the vehicle to the race track (both drag strips and road courses) for amateur and club event where the top speed does matter significantly.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

It's a function of tires. Gen 1 is speed limited because the tires are H rated, which is 130mph limit but with margin of safety and load, Rivian has taken safe and conservative approach.

The Ascend models come with Y-rated tires (Pilot Sport S5) and are rated 186+ mph so even with load, the speed can reach 130 safely.
This is the answer why on the Ascend model has the top speed limiter raised. It is an issue of liability, if you uncork the vehicle to drive above the tires rated speed and there is a incident, you have a potential lawsuit.

For those of us who live their lives a 1/4 of a mile at a time, understand MPH at the 1320 mark, is indicative of power transmitted to the ground. Who wants to race the 1/4 mile and hit a speed limiter, hindering your race? No one. I'm thrilled Rivian has added Pilot Sports, even if only a few people ever truly drag race, it allows the full performance of the vehicle to come forth.

If I had an Ascend I would definitely do a few Friday Night Drag events. You'll beat Aventadors, GTR's, GT3RS and just about everything else under the sun! Thank you Rivian for uncorking the Ascend model!!!

Last edited:

savethemanual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2
What's the use of a high performance vehicle if you cannot go over 110 mph at times? Most vehicles on the road are not limited at 110 mph. The Honda Civic can reach a top speed of 139 mph.
NO ONE should be driving over 100 mph on PUBLIC roads. Period. This is just stupid and how innocent people die. Go to a private track.

Sponsored

OP
OP
windblowlc

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired

The Rivian Pilot Sport S 5 is V rated (149 mph) unlike the rest of Michelin's lower profile max performance Y-rated tires. It's still plenty good enough for the Gen 2 R1T Quad which has close to 400 lbs diet to a slim 6555 lbs weight per following Monroe article.

Pikes Peak Monroe article

OP
OP
windblowlc

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
NO ONE should be driving over 100 mph on PUBLIC roads. Period. This is just stupid and how innocent people die. Go to a private track.
Thank you for the reminder👍
Over 100? 😁 We're all mindful of the speed limit. I just need a higher top speed for when I'm testing the limit of the Ascend.

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
Having a slightly higher top speed can be useful at times. Say you're on the freeway driving along and the guy in front of you won't go above 70, you want to pass, you put your foot down, 1000hp spring to life, you very quickly ram into that 110 limiter. 130 is still a responsible limit while leaving some room for passing maneuvers

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

This is the answer why on the Ascend model has the top speed limiter raised. It is an issue of liability, if you uncork the vehicle to drive above the tires rated speed and there is a incident, you have a potential lawsuit.
I did say that Ascend has different tires. Y-rated. Michelin Pilot Sport S5 is currently only OE on Ferrari, Porsche, Lucid and Rivian.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

The Rivian Pilot Sport S 5 is V rated (149 mph) unlike the rest of Michelin's lower profile max performance Y-rated tires. It's still plenty good enough for the Gen 2 R1T Quad which has close to 400 lbs diet to a slim 6555 lbs weight per following Monroe article.

Pikes Peak Monroe article
Not sure why you say it's V-rated. It is Y-rated tire in all currently available sizes.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/michelin-pilot-sport-s-5

Rivian R1T R1S Top Speed of Gen 2 R1 Ascend Models = 130mph in Launch Mode / 110mph all other modes 1719416001534-yk

If Rivian's weight is a factor and is a special designed tire for Rivian only, maybe. For the Ascend, the front is 275/50/22 and the rear is 305/45/22. Don't know the load index but probably 115XL.
Sponsored