Sponsored

Going on a 6,000 mile trip... take the ID.4 or Model Y ?

Atlanta to Quebec City and back: ID.4 or Model Y?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

izgoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ID.4 Model Y
Need to drive to Quebec City, stay in Quebec for 6 weeks, and drive back to Atlanta.

I have two vehicles: ID.4 and Model Y.

The distance is 1,400 each way. The rest of the mileage will be in Quebec. CCS charging infrastructure is good in Quebec. A two-stall DCFC (50 kW and 100 kW) about every 30 miles or so. I’m concerned about DC charging at CCS chargers on the way there and back while in the US.

Taking the ID. 4 means much more comfortable ride and free charging at Electrify America while in the US, but a lot of Walmarts (although only about 50% of charging stops are at Walmarts).

Taking the Model Y means much better access to DC charging in the US (both Superchargers and CCS), but not free and much worse ride quality (bumpier and noisier). I would also spend about $550 more on electricity over driving the ID.4.

I’ve pre-planned the route, and taking the Model Y would save 2 hours over three days of driving (about 40 minutes each day), but that is if we are disciplined enough to jump in the car and drive as soon as we are finished charging. We are not disciplined enough, so there is likely no difference in how long it would take us each day - unless we run into issues with CCS charging (waiting in lines, for instance). The driving distance will be about the same in the ID.4 compared with the Model Y (within a few miles).

We have to drive because we have a large dog, so we can’t fly.

Hence, the poll.

Thank you.
Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
How do you get to 6,000 miles if it is 1,400 each way?

Are you expecting to forget your phone charger and go back to get it when you are 5 miles from your destination?

OP
OP

izgoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ID.4 Model Y
How do you get to 6,000 miles if it is 1,400 each way?

Are you expecting to forget your phone charger and go back to get it when you are 5 miles from your destination?
Like I said in my post, the rest of the mileage is in Quebec.

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
With the model Y, the charging infrastructure for distance travel is predictable and reliable. The EA stations may be free for the ID4 right now, but the reliability is so poor that there may be a greater difference in charging times than you realize.

If you have access to a Tesla (or ICE) car for this trip, the decision is a no-brainer.

Sponsored

OP
OP

izgoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ID.4 Model Y
What does this have to do with a Rivian?
The question would have been about the Rivian if my year-old order had been delivered by now. So, consider this question to be about a CCS1 EV vs a Tesla Model Y.

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
What does this have to do with a Rivian?
I suspect it's a hypothetical question to tease out opinions on charging infrastructure. A Rivian:Tesla comparison has too many other variables, while the difference between an ID.4 and a Model Y mostly boils down to superchargers vs. CCS when traveling.

OP
OP

izgoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ID.4 Model Y
I suspect it's a hypothetical question to tease out opinions on charging infrastructure. A Rivian:Tesla comparison has too many other variables, while the difference between an ID.4 and a Model Y mostly boils down to superchargers vs. CCS when traveling.
It's not a hypothetical question. It's a practical question that I am struggling with right now. ID.4 is a much more comfortable vehicle to travel in. Frankly, I can't fathom doing this in the Model Y because of how noisy and bumpy the ride is. Doing 6,000 miles in a Model Y will not be a fun trip due to the fatigue that the Model Y would deliver to everyone in the car over such a long trip. My only concern about the ID.4 is, of course, access to DC charging, and I'm only concerned about it while in the US. In Quebec, I have no fear of being stranded in the ID.4, as the CCS charging infrastructure is pervasive. It may not be the fastest DC charging (50 kW and 100 kW charing stalls), but there is virtually no way to run out of juice because CCS DC charging stations are planted every 20-35 miles.

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Run it through ABRP or similar.

which car is more comfortable?

OP
OP

izgoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ID.4 Model Y
Run it through ABRP or similar.

which car is more comfortable?
I ran both through ABRP, and the results are in the original post. The ID.4 is MUCH more comfortable.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I ran both through ABRP, and the results are in the original post. The ID.4 is MUCH more comfortable.
Take the VW.
Sponsored