Sponsored

Has anyone received their refund for an amended 2022 federal tax return?

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
I submitted an amendment 5/5 after taking delivery on 5/5.

Tonka

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Cruiser , Silverado, Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Main issue is that they appear to have accepted the CONTRACT. I'm calling it.... We're good! šŸ˜‰
Iā€™ve felt like the binding agreement was good Iā€™m just waiting to see if they accept the 2023 model year because when you go to https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/tax2022.shtml and select the binding agreement tab it does not show the 2023 model year Rivianā€™s but it does show ford and bmwā€™s 2023 models

Tonka

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Cruiser , Silverado, Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Iā€™ve asked about the model year in every way possible to Rivian and in ways that I know they completely understood the question but have yet to get a straight answer as to why their 2023 stuff doesnā€™t show there. Three different people all dancing around the question and saying theyā€™ll get someone to reach out but never did. The guide however sent me something saying she thinks itā€™s good but was honest enough to say she couldnā€™t get a clear answer either.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Main issue is that they appear to have accepted the CONTRACT. I'm calling it.... We're good! šŸ˜‰
Not how it works. They haven't even looked at the CONTRACT (AFAIK there is no way to submit it with your tax return).
Accepting your return is only the first step - are all the referenced forms included, is the math correct, etc. They have not confirmed the actual validity of any deductions or tax credits.
You could claim tithing 10% of your gross income to a church and they would accept that at face value. Only if your return is later flagged for review/audit (they have at least three years to do so) will you be required to submit the documentation for questionable deductions/credits.
It is only after the IRS has requested, seen and accepted the Rivian BPA as a Binding Purchase Agreement (by their definition and guidelines) can anyone proclaim "We're good".

sillyME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Aztek
So I am going to file my 2022 tax amendment, but which date should I put down on IRS form 8936? The binding contract date? The date appeared on Rivian Purchase Agreement executed by Rivian as seller? Or the actual delivery date?

OP
OP
freshpow

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Not how it works. They haven't even looked at the CONTRACT (AFAIK there is no way to submit it with your tax return).
Accepting your return is only the first step - are all the referenced forms included, is the math correct, etc. They have not confirmed the actual validity of any deductions or tax credits.
You could claim tithing 10% of your gross income to a church and they would accept that at face value. Only if your return is later flagged for review/audit (they have at least three years to do so) will you be required to submit the documentation for questionable deductions/credits.
It is only after the IRS has requested, seen and accepted the Rivian BPA as a Binding Purchase Agreement (by their definition and guidelines) can anyone proclaim "We're good".
Who hurt you? Letā€™s bet $7,500 that the BPAs will be accepted. šŸ¤

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

It is the way....!!! We're good šŸ‘

SRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
retired
Got my refund April 6th. Took about 3 weeks.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Who hurt you? Letā€™s bet $7,500 that the BPAs will be accepted. šŸ¤
I'm not the one making the bet. Everyone counting on the BPA holding up is doing the betting.

Rivian has there collective heads up somewhere very dark when it comes to the Tax Credit. I'm still fighting with them to get the report they were required to provide at the time of delivery on my R1S. When they applied to the IRS to be a qualified manufacturer, they agreed to abide by the requirements set forth in Revenue Procedure 2022-42.
Rivian R1T R1S Has anyone received their refund for an amended 2022 federal tax return? 1683607193740

Rivian R1T R1S Has anyone received their refund for an amended 2022 federal tax return? 1683607861585

For 2023 returns, a tax credit claim will not be assumed to be valid by default. Instead it will be compared to the reports dealers (or manufacturers that do direct sales) are required to file no later than Jan 15th, 2024. If Rivian fails to file the report with the IRS that they won't provide to me (which at this point seems likely), I'm just as SOL as those that are relying on the BPA. Technically, I can't even request the report after the sale since my vehicle was not reclassified (The Mach-e, etc became SUVs and gained the bump in MSRP cap)

When I took delivery of my R1S, Rivian wouldn't even admit that they had an obligation to do anything at all. Now they are at the point of "we'll look into it". These guidelines were published in late 2022 and are very clear and specific as to Rivians obligations.

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
I'm not the one making the bet. Everyone counting on the BPA holding up is doing the betting.

Rivian has there collective heads up somewhere very dark when it comes to the Tax Credit. I'm still fighting with them to get the report they were required to provide at the time of delivery on my R1S. When they applied to the IRS to be a qualified manufacturer, they agreed to abide by the requirements set forth in Revenue Procedure 2022-42.
1683607193740.png

1683607861585.png

For 2023 returns, a tax credit claim will not be assumed to be valid by default. Instead it will be compared to the reports dealers (or manufacturers that do direct sales) are required to file no later than Jan 15th, 2024. If Rivian fails to file the report with the IRS that they won't provide to me (which at this point seems likely), I'm just as SOL as those that are relying on the BPA. Technically, I can't even request the report after the sale since my vehicle was not reclassified (The Mach-e, etc became SUVs and gained the bump in MSRP cap)

When I took delivery of my R1S, Rivian wouldn't even admit that they had an obligation to do anything at all. Now they are at the point of "we'll look into it". These guidelines were published in late 2022 and are very clear and specific as to Rivians obligations.
Why would you assume Rivian wonā€™t provide the necessary documentation to the IRS? They have until Jan 15, 2024, so itā€™s clearly not a current priority. I have every confidence itā€™ll happen by the date required.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Why would you assume Rivian wonā€™t provide the necessary documentation to the IRS? They have until Jan 15, 2024, so itā€™s clearly not a current priority. I have every confidence itā€™ll happen by the date required.
Because Rivian is the šŸ˜ˆ

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

1683607193740.png

1683607861585.png

I'm betting it works out.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Looks like youā€™re seeing some progress. Be patient.
Sponsored