Sponsored

Having Someone Lease "For You"

dgascho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Sierra 1500 AT4 Duramax
Brainstorm I had as I sit here in Indiana, watching great lease deals pass me by. For context, I am a financially stable adult in my 30's with a family and excellent credit. I would love to lease a Rivian directly, myself, but I live in Indiana.... This is no attempt to make poor decisions because I can't get approved, etc. I also have no intention of doing anything illegal, genuinely asking:

I have family (parents) just across the state line in Ohio. I am a resident of Indiana. I assume I cannot lease it directly/myself with their address?

Shoot down my hypothetical proposed scenario - my father leases an R1S. I assume any insurance, credit checks, and all else would have to be in his name for consistency, but anything that I can take care of myself, I will. Whether by adding a driver to the lease, or because I'm an immediate family member, assuming I can legally drive the vehicle, I use it full-time as if it were mine. I pay for all expenses/costs by paying him, etc.

I understand this isn't the wisest thing for him to do, but is it possible/legal?

Otherwise, anyone else successfully lease a Rivian in a state that isn't yet available? Without having property/residency in an approved state?
Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Just put your parents' address and lease the damn thing. Speaking from experience with 3 different addresses for my last vehicle purchase, they really don't care.

OP
OP

dgascho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Sierra 1500 AT4 Duramax
Sounds good to me, but really that easy? No prior rivian experience, but with other companies, I've found they really squawk about "actual garage/storage location", "primary usage location", etc.

Even if Rivian doesn't care about where they deliver it, Ohio is not a non-resident registration state. If I, as a non-resident, can't register it in Ohio, are you inferring that I can just take delivery at the Ohio address, then do everything else in Indiana myself?

Girldadx3

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Real Estate
The only issue that may arise would be if Rivian/Chase want your I.d. To show your parents address.

Your auto insurance will need to know that you are the primary driver as well as your actual address.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Having someone else as the named owner can cause them to be included in any kind of a lawsuit against you, for an accident you were involved in. I'd avoid your situation simply because of that fact, but maybe your parents wouldn't care.

I don't think otherwise you would have much of an issue moving the registration to the state you live in, after taking delivery under your name, at their address, but admittedly I don't know how that works for a lease.

Sponsored

KRG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T DM
Occupation
Tech Bro
Clubs

I think you can take delivery under your own name, using their address and there would be no issue. Unless Indiana has some weird law against the car being registered in a different state/address.

Who’s to say you aren’t leaving the car at your parents house as a secondary vehicle?

Electrified Outdoors

Site Sponsor
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T Quad, 2024 Rivian R1S Quad
Occupation
Real Estate
Clubs

I'm not an expert but have purchased many cars over the years. Having someone else purchase for you is probably not a good idea.

In order for this to work you would need to be a resident of the state and that be your primary residence. Shown on your ID etc. probably will create more issues than it's worth.

I would call call Chase and see what would be required to verify. You could tell them you have two residences and see what they say.

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

Leasing is a little different from buying with more verification than a simple sale. Based on the description of what you want to do, you'll likely not get through the verification from Chase. But try it and let us know how it goes.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

There's nothing directly illegal about someone else buying it and letting you drive it. And it doesn't matter where you live versus the registration address as a practical matter. It's probably against some state statute, but irrelevant. My brother has multiple cars registered to my AZ address because they won't pass emissions in CA, or they had back fees due in the thousands (before he bought them). It's never an issue, nobody is watching. His insurance knows they are in CA (that is important) and doesn't care.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Leasing will require Proof of Residence. Usually this is your DL, but they will have a list of other acceptable documents.
Most common are:
  • Signed lease or rental agreement (may need to be notarized)
  • Current Utility Bill in your name (must be within the last 30-60 days depending on lender)
Bank statements or other mail going to that address won't cut it - they want something that physically ties you to the address.
Sponsored