First Name
Ilya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S, 2019 Mustang GT, 2015 V60 P*, 1993 MR2
Occupation
Biotech
2024 R1S, delivered in December 2023. Was wondering what is that metal rolling noise I kept hearing by the rear lift gate. Didn’t want to wait for service, went fishing myself (I work on cars quite a bit).

And … lo and behold, I find a factory drill bit, nicely coated in the grey rust proofing stuff. A trophy of sorts??? I’ll return it to Rivian if they can tell me how this passed QC :)

Rivian R1T R1S Hey Rivian, want your drill bit back? IMG_1856
Sponsored

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I didn’t get anything extra when I picked up my truck. Thanks for nothing, Rivian!:confused:

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I have been gifted a tactical flashlight and a USB-C to Ethernet adapter, so far.

And more than a couple of bolts that were not tightened.

OP
OP

BlueR1S

First Name
Ilya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Biotech
I have been gifted a tactical flashlight and a USB-C to Ethernet adapter, so far.

And more than a couple of bolts that were not tightened.
Those are nice gifts as well!

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
My R1S was delivered with bolts rolling around both the front and rear trunk hatches.

Rivian was able to fix the front trunk on the first try, but it took them two service visits to extract the bolt from the rear hatch.

835Horses

First Name
Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi R8
Occupation
Software
I posted a similar thread of rolling metal noise from the rear hatch. Sounds like this is my exact issue. Rolling nut or screw. Seems like I should set up a service appointment

OP
OP

BlueR1S

First Name
Ilya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Biotech
I posted a similar thread of rolling metal noise from the rear hatch. Sounds like this is my exact issue. Rolling nut or screw. Seems like I should set up a service appointment
It wasn’t in the rear hatch door itself but in the body panel behind the spare tire cradle. If it’s in the door you would hear the rolling when opening/closing it.

I think these are very obvious noises if they drove the vehicles after assembly. Seems like they are under pressure to mark every completed vehicle as built, to deliver every built vehicle, and deal with QC issues later.

Ingo B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Word Slinger
Hmph...all I got was a text message and a receipt.

Sponsored

Cascadian

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Outback
Clubs

Is this what they mean by “Easter Egg “?

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

You use that to gain entry when your HV system packs it in & none of your power-locked doors work.

OP
OP

BlueR1S

First Name
Ilya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Biotech
You use that to gain entry when your HV system packs it in & none of your power-locked doors work.
I bet you are right!

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

I've got an object rolling around inside a rear passenger door. It's so obvious, you can hear it when accelerating or decelerating - basically all the time. I filed a service ticket, and magically the object got jammed in place just days before the appointment. SC claimed they looked for the object with an optical scope, but didn't find anything. Upon shipping my truck to Maui, it started rolling around again.

I sincerely hope it's a wedding ring or something valuable. Someone should regret the mistake, and it's clearly not the corporation or its questionable QC department.

OP
OP

BlueR1S

First Name
Ilya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Biotech
I've got an object rolling around inside a rear passenger door. It's so obvious, you can hear it when accelerating or decelerating - basically all the time. I filed a service ticket, and magically the object got jammed in place just days before the appointment. SC claimed they looked for the object with an optical scope, but didn't find anything. Upon shipping my truck to Maui, it started rolling around again.

I sincerely hope it's a wedding ring or something valuable. Someone should regret the mistake, and it's clearly not the corporation or its questionable QC department.
any body shop can take off the door panels and look for it for you. There is nothing special/unusual/unique about how the Rivian interior trim is put together
Sponsored