First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
It's consistent with the give-or-take 1% per day drain reported by many Rivian owners. I don't see anyone "defending" it, but testing is welcomed.
So... I have never had an issue with parasitic draw with a Rivian, so have never really weighed in or tested it. I am currently in Mexico, where I have been charging every couple of weeks, otherwise the truck sits outside my bungalow for the night unplugged. I don't run Jerry mode, or Paak, & the truck does not lose any measurable charge just sitting overnight; neither would I expect it to.
Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Doesn't surpise me if you drive it every day then you might not notice any drain. Moreover if you are in MX then the car has no internet connection right? So nothing to wake it up and send GB of data to Rivian all the time.

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
For reference, I have left Tesla, Chevy, Cadillac & Ford EVs shut down & idle for months at a time with single digit loses. Defending damn near 1% a day for a hibernating vehicle is insanity.
my 2018 model 3 came with worse drain. Still isn’t great. Maybe they changed something on newer builds?

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX, M3, 4Runner, FJ60, GTO
Occupation
Retired AS Engineer
Happy Super Bowl Sunday everyone!

Having read all the posts about vampire drains, etc and concerned that I would return from a 2 week vacation to an immobile hunk-o-junk I decided to test the theory that I could in fact just park the car (outside/no trickle charge), put it in storage mode and 2 weeks later it would be fine. Success! Yes, naysayers; I am on the beautiful California Central Coast where the weather only fluctuated between 30 - 70 degrees during "the test" BUT, this test did not go for just two weeks... between trade shows that had me out of town, my determination to leave the car alone for the couple of days I was home here and there and a lovely case of Covid, this test actually went on for 31 days. I finally gave in this morning because I really want to drive the rocket again and it's just fine! Parked at 88% and today it sits at 68%. Not too shabby for such a long nap!

That is all.... enjoy your Taylor Swift, silly commercial and oh, yeah...football infused afternoon!
Hopefully, the network architecture refresh in Q2 will bring this vampire drain in line with industry leading numbers. M3 and MY would be a few percent over 30 days.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Dude... Really lol? 20% in 30 days is ok with you?

Gotta be something wrong with the vehicle.
Must be a quad motor.

Sponsored

IGR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
I make things
Clubs

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Doesn't surpise me if you drive it every day then you might not notice any drain. Moreover if you are in MX then the car has no internet connection right? So nothing to wake it up and send GB of data to Rivian all the time.
But something must be wrong with the truck, right?:CWL:

SurfnBike

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TMY
Clubs

For reference, I have left Tesla, Chevy, Cadillac & Ford EVs shut down & idle for months at a time with single digit loses. Defending damn near 1% a day for a hibernating vehicle is insanity.
Earlier this year some people were seeing 4-5% per day due to heating devices being left on, e.g. the front windshield defroster. So this is a big improvement.

Range loss due to vampire drain is definitely a buzz kill when you are camping in cold weather and you need every mile you can get to adventure around and make it back with enough charge to get to a RAN on your own power. I just got back from Death valley and I lost probably 3% due to vampire drain, returning to the RAN with only 7%, which otherwise would have been 10%. Temps were low 30s to high 40s for 3 days.

TrashPanda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Pilot
Clubs

Agreed. This result is reasonable for today's Rivians but it's not great. My results with an ID.4 are in line with what you quoted for your Ioniq 5. Usually loses about 1-2% for a week when sitting idle in the garage.

I am hopeful that the new network architecture Rivian is kicking off later this year will result in substantially less drain for R1s. As it stands, I add about 1.75kWh / day to the cost of running this truck. It's not the end of the world, but its energy that shouldn't be wasted - especially given the mission and values of the company.
Yeah I can go about 60-70 miles on my electric skateboard/unicycle for about 1.75kwh. Definitely significant. Hope they keep improving it.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Maybe others think about this a different way than I do. I just got back from leaving mine at the airport parking garage for 7 days and it lost 2.85% per day. To me coming back to my vehicle with 20% less feels like crap if I lost almost a 1/4 tank due to evaporation in a gas car I would be pissed. IF I left my phone sit outside turned on in the cold for 3 days and it lost 2.8% battery but that battery pack is like 10,000 times smaller than the trucks.

Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Maybe others think about this a different way than I do. I just got back from leaving mine at the airport parking garage for 7 days and it lost 2.85% per day. To me coming back to my vehicle with 20% less feels like crap if I lost almost a 1/4 tank due to evaporation in a gas car I would be pissed. IF I left my phone sit outside turned on in the cold for 3 days and it lost 2.8% battery but that battery pack is like 10,000 times smaller than the trucks.
I'm with ya. Not ok. Also, not common across brands.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Went to leave work last night and the truck was heated up due to schedule that I know I turned off via the app. So i'm guessing that is probably why the usage was high I bet it heated up every day like I was leaving for work.
Sponsored