First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Anyone else think that a combination of the R1S and the R2 would make the perfect SUV? I know it's not going to happen, but if I were going to design MY perfect Rivian SUV it would be this combination:

Start with an R1S, but shorten it to be a 2 row vehicle. Otherwise keep the dimensions and the ride height the same, but make air suspension an option. Add the R2 sliding rear window and the steering wheel with the cool wheel/knobs on each side. And I personally love the wheel & tire package on the R2, despite being 21" (not great for tire choices these days). Make it tri-motor instead of dual or quad. And the glove boxes too! The fully folding seats should also be in there.

And this isn't on either vehicle, but a powered sun shade for the huge glass roof would be great. I'm not sure why that seems to be missing from Rivians and Teslas. Glass roofs are cool, but a powered sun shade should be standard equipment on every vehicle with a glass roof.
Sponsored

Reactions: MGA

OverEasyGoing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Wrangler, '23 R1S, '79 Scout, R2 Reserved
I feel like the R2 will still be your best bet. It will be available with a tri motor, I'm sure they'll offer other wheel sizes than 21", and I've been really happy with my glass roof sunshade. You'll get your gloveboxes, folding seat and vented rear windows and it's really a shortened R1 with no third row.

Rivian R1T R1S I want an R12S or maybe an R1S2? Screenshot 2024-03-26 133232

OP
OP
White Shadow

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I feel like the R2 will still be your best bet. It will be available with a tri motor, I'm sure they'll offer other wheel sizes than 21", and I've been really happy with my glass roof sunshade. You'll get your gloveboxes, folding seat and vented rear windows and it's really a shortened R1 with no third row.

Screenshot 2024-03-26 133232.png
Yup, it's just a little too small and a little too low. Give me an R2 that rides higher. Or an R1S 2-row that's a little shorter and put the rear glass and other cool stuff in it. Oh, and I love the air suspension in my Jeep, so I'd want to keep that too.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I definitely wouldn't want anything shorter and with less cargo space, although I would have preferred the originally planned 2-row variant as I always have the 3rd row folded. The dog crate pretty much takes all of the available space behind the 2nd row seats. With the crate back there, it really doesn't matter that the 3rd row seats are installed except that I probably wouldn't have had to work around the step in the floor if it weren't there.

iamnid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Tesla Model 3, Mercedes EQE
I'm curious how you think the retractable glass would work with the split rear hatch. Where would the glass go when it slides down? I'm not sure I'd prefer sliding glass over having the tailgate.

Sponsored

OverEasyGoing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Wrangler, '23 R1S, '79 Scout, R2 Reserved
Yeah I'll def miss the air suspension but maybe I'll lift it
I'm curious how you think the retractable glass would work with the split rear hatch. Where would the glass go when it slides down? I'm not sure I'd prefer sliding glass over having the tailgate.
My brother has something like this in his Model Y. Not perfect but more functional than the one I have for my R1S that is can't just be pulled in and out easily.

https://www.hautopart.com/collectio...cts/model-3-y-retractable-glass-roof-sunshade

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Yeah, sliding glass would require getting rid of the tailgate which I also would not want.

OP
OP
White Shadow

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
It wouldn't work. I'd just rather have the sliding glass. It was by far my favorite feature in my old 4Runner.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
It wouldn't work. I'd just rather have the sliding glass. It was by far my favorite feature in my old 4Runner.
What old 4Runner did you have. The R2 seems like a perfect replacement for a 3rd gen 4Runner. I miss mine.

OP
OP
White Shadow

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
What old 4Runner did you have. The R2 seems like a perfect replacement for a 3rd gen 4Runner. I miss mine.
I had two, first was a third Gen and then I got a 4th Gen. I don't like the styling of the 5th Gen, so I switched to Grand Cherokee and it turns out that I like the Jeep so much more than the 4Runners. The only thing I miss is that roll down rear glass. Other than that, the Jeep is so much nicer in every way imagineable.

Sponsored

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S

Screenshot 2024-03-26 133232.png
So, it's about 15" shorter in length and 5" in height. That's not much at all. A lot of ppl are going to be very happy with this set up.

OP
OP
White Shadow

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
So, it's about 15" shorter in length and 5" in height. That's not much at all. A lot of ppl are going to be very happy with this set up.
It's actually a little more than 7" shorter than the R1S when at standard ride height. That's a pretty big difference.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
It's actually a little more than 7" shorter than the R1S when at standard ride height. That's a pretty big difference.
It's all relative. I'll wait to see one side-by-side.
Sponsored