Sponsored

If Rivian had a trade-in incentive program... trade Gen 1 for Gen 2?

Would you trade in your Gen 1 for a Gen 2 with an incentive program?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Garzee

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
would you trade in your Gen 1 for a Gen 2?

I am sure some of you will or would regardless, but I am curious to see what people think regarding some sort of incentive and trading in before they really planned to.

I for one, plan on keeping my Gen 1 through the warranty. We do have a first day reservation for an R2, but lets keep that separate.

It's just hard to justify it right now, considering I have a quad with pre-hike pricing. I'd want a tri-motor which is nearly $30k more.
I voted yes, primarily due to the suspension upgrade and overall weight redux. Another option since I do like the QM gen 1 is if there is an aftermarket suspension fix that will improve the jarring ride and keep me from feeling like a bobble head going up and down our driveway and speed bumps!
Sponsored

MRE

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Land Rover LR4, Ducati Streetfighter
I for one, plan on keeping my Gen 1 through the warranty. We do have a first day reservation for an R2, but lets keep that separate.

It's just hard to justify it right now, considering I have a quad with pre-hike pricing. I'd want a tri-motor which is nearly $30k more.
TL;DR - After considering gen 2, I JUST purchased a new gen 1.

I really considered it, but find myself in the same boat regarding the pricing. The only thing I've always really wanted to change about mine is that I love Ocean Coast interior, and I have Black Mountain. Add to this the fact that my truck is only a couple months from end-of-warranty (comprehensive), and there is simply no way I'm hanging onto it outside warranty... so I've been watching the inventory like a hawk! Two days ago I finally got lucky and managed to catch a Gen 1 R1T (quad motor, A/T package with Ocean Coast) in the store, and so I went ahead and ordered it.

With the incentives they are pushing to get Gen 1 vehicles out of inventory, the total purchase price out the door ended up being only $1,750 more than my original, pre-price-hike R1, despite now being post-hike and having a more expensive interior option.

Garzee

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
funny, but I also don't want to give up the nice frunk space of the gen 1. It comes in handy. Just one more thought on the subject....

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Used R1T’s resale values are plummeting. They will most likely be in the high $40’s by Q1 2025.

This link will show 2 R1T’s currently up for auction plus recent sales on the Cars & Bids website. Just remember to tack on the 4.5% buyers fee when looking at sold units.

https://carsandbids.com/search/rivian/r1t

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

I at nearly 50,000 miles already and climbing quick. Warranty ending soon. That dual-max is looking attractive, if the range numbers turn out to be accurate.

Sponsored

Taco Corp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

This poll needs a maybe. My R1T had early pricing and is paid for so the idea of taking on a car payment for relatively minor gains isn't super appealing but if the offer were good enough I'd consider it.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Clubs

There's some really neat things with the Gen2, but nothing that's dramatic for me. Maybe in a few years when they take advantage of the new hardware it could be interesting.

But the biggest reason I voted No is because I can't get Compass Yellow anymore. The new color doesn't appeal to me, either—it's fairly gray.

I also don't like the new front end as much. It's subtle, but I think it's a styling downgrade from the cleaner lines on the G1.

And on top of that, it would be at least $20k—if not $30k—more to get what, for me, is the same vehicles we have now.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Probably not since the only thing I want and need is headlight improvement.

Given the changes to the structural components in the interests of cutting costs, this would go to a definite No if there are negative changes to the crash test safety rating.
Why the headlights?

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Hopefully at some point Rivian takes on a certified pre-owned type program with extensions to warranties, etc...

These would have a higher value and Rivian could certainly make substantial profit on them. Car dealers know alot of money to be made on those used lots....and that elevated value of the certified vehicles also translates to higher value on the trade making the trade up to a newer model more appealing.

This also helps people get into the brand at lower price points while still having a warranty.

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'89 Trans Am GTA, '22 Rivian R1T, Pre-order '26 R2
Occupation
General Manager - Retail & Service
Clubs

launch edition R1T owner here, give me a good deal for a gen 2 quad motor R1T, and i'm in. the only thing that keeps me on the fence is I wonder if in 2 years they will bring the new steering wheel to the R1's I would hold out for that and possibly more HP. I want a 9 sec truck!!

Sponsored

beyondgravity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

would you trade in your Gen 1 for a Gen 2?

I am sure some of you will or would regardless, but I am curious to see what people think regarding some sort of incentive and trading in before they really planned to.

As a minimalist, G1 will serve me well for next 10 years. So not at all.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Why the headlights?
I think the Gen 1 headlights are very good on-road and just good off-road. Our Land Rover’s headlights were as good on-road and better off-road. They were better off-road because the high beams had a wider spread. Our Land Rover had bi-xenon (low+high beam) projector beam headlamps with a sharp cutoff like Rivian’s LED lights. Our Land Rover also had halogen high beams in addition to the xenon high beams.

I believe the adaptive (matrix?) headlights in the Gen 2 will have better spread without causing glare for oncoming drivers.

I think it could be helpful if Rivian permitted high beams + fog lamps and/or the flood lights when navigation determines that the vehicle is off road. I don’t know if this is permissible or possible, though.

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

For the extra 20-30K same spec, no way and there won't be any incentives to trade in Gen 1 R1's.

Rivian lost $35-$75K on each one already to sell it the first time and we'll see how the Gen 2 loss per vehicle shakes out.

Can't imagine they retooled to make the Gen 2 loss per vehicle smaller only to add a discount for trading in a Gen 1. That's 100% opposite of the strategy.

Giddy89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
La silver r1t
Occupation
Contractor
Between lack of tax credit and pre order pricing a gen 2 tri motor would cost me about $30k plus over what I paid for my quad.

It sounds like the gen 2 has some meaningful improvements (better cameras and autonomy mainly) but possiblsome sacrifices (lower capacity large battery)

If I had to quantify the value those gen 2 updates bring to me I’d say $10k max.

those are the numbers that guide me. If my R1t proves to be reliable for the duration of the bumper to bumper warranty I’m going to drive it till the powertrain warranty expires them hopefully re up with whatever spaceship rivian is making at that time.

runningdenver

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S QM
Occupation
Tech
I didn't get early pricing, so paid $100K for my QM R1S. Even if they gave me $80K back, I doubt I would. The only 'upgrade' for me would be a QM Ascend, and so with the price delta, I don't think I'd be getting enough extra for the $. And as @sub said earlier, I got one of the last compass yellows, which I love. I don't get that feeling with any of the new colors. A CY, QM Ascend - with a nice rebate - okay, now I'm possibly listening....
Sponsored