First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
Occupation
Professional
For me it is highly effective based on my priorities. My number one priority is to avoid driving to El Segundo, CA for service. We can usually figure out a way to leave one car at home so we avoid a rental car, loaner, random person driving their personal car for financial gain or shuttle. Recently I had an appointment that Rivian said would have to be done at the service center. They called to change it to an earlier date and mobile service. I was very happy.
Sponsored

Ed C

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Gen 1 DM, BMW 440ic, Tesla Y, Maverick, F150
Just got a call about my mobile service appointment I had scheduled for July 5. It somehow just occurred to them that the service would take place at my address, which is outside the zone where their tech will be that day. Had to push out 2 weeks.

Mjsull

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Soon R1S, also Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I am in the Las Vegas area which is served by the Service Center in North Las Vegas

When my R1S was new I had a couple of problems that I needed the SC to take care of. In both cases the scheduling and repairs were taken care on in a timely manner (less than 2 weeks). I was given a loaner Rivian in one case and a rental car in the second.

I’ve also had 3 mobile service appointments recently. I was very pleased with the appointments.

The first was to deliver and install my R1S spare tire. I mentioned to the service rep that my tailgate was slightly misaligned. He said I needed to make a Service Center appointment to get it taken care of.

I scheduled a SC appointment but a couple of days later the SC called to say that a mobile tech could take care of it if I preferred. I scheduled a mobile appointment for a couple of weeks out. The technician showed up on time and proceeded to adjust the tailgate. He also did a multipoint inspection and replaced seals on my portable home charger that apparently have a service notice.

He noticed that the tailgate weather stripping was loose. He needed to order parts and scheduled a comeback appointment for 2 weeks out. The same technician came out and installed the new tailgate weather stripping.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I hope they rotate them. As someone that oversees organizational architecture I can promise you do not want silos. Not good for customers or the techs.
Having some technicians only doing mobile service and some only doing fixed service wouldn't necessarily be siloing - they'd have the same training, start/end the same place every day, not neccessarily different departments that never talk to each other

just resource-wise it'd make more sense to say "ok there's no mobile work this week/there are too many pre-delivery QA deficiencies to correct, so you're in the shop". that sort of thing.

Noplacelikeloam

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Creative management
Clubs

Having some technicians only doing mobile service and some only doing fixed service wouldn't necessarily be siloing - they'd have the same training, start/end the same place every day, not neccessarily different departments that never talk to each other

just resource-wise it'd make more sense to say "ok there's no mobile work this week/there are too many pre-delivery QA deficiencies to correct, so you're in the shop". that sort of thing.
Problem is a lot of on job knowledge sharing doesnt happen in the formal training. Its being there on site and seeing what works. Getting tips and tricks and best practices. That way everyone rises together vs the us and thems thats is inevitable.

Agree that it should be flexible and should give techs a chance to get "out of the office" a few times a week. Although admittedly some techs probably would prefer a role without having to make small talk with customers all day. Totally get that. :)
Sponsored