Sponsored

Is range improvement over time possible?

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Occupation
Fake Science Lead
Clubs

This is a partial list, but will help get the idea across:
Temps - subtract 0.1 MPK for every 7f below 70f.

Pressure differences. There is a plus/minus 10% swing due to changes in air pressure/density (think elevation or cold storm/warm storm).

Tire weight/wear - tires will wear and lose weight/tread, so the same tire might be 10% more efficient at the end of its life.

Road type will impact MPK as well, concrete roads having a lower coefficient of friction than asphalt.

Tire psi / contact patch…higher psi decreases the contact patch being more efficient but potentially less safe.

Tire tread and construction will make a difference too, knobby tires generally be less aerodynamic and less efficient.
Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
It’s not break-in.

Its incremental temperature increases. As others have said.

welcome to the seasons of EV ownership.

Fall - OMG my range is dropping, clearly the start of an issue
Winter - My battery is clearly faulty, see my previous posts
Spring - My range is improving, witchcraft?
Summer - I CAN DRIVE ALL THE MILES
Ironically, global warming will improve our efficiency. Yea for global warming?

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

When I first got my R1S Quad I would average about 1.8-2mi/kWh. Now I easily hit 2.5mi/kWh while enjoying the acceleration safely.

Is it possible the vehicle is “loosening” up and getting more efficient?
Do you need less heating to keep your cabin comfortable?

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
Don’t know about efficiency improving over time, but maybe. I have never really been able to make a lot of sense of the randomness of my R1T efficiency. Sometime it’s better/worse than others for no apparent reason. For the life of the vehicle, I’m looking at around 2.24 m/kWh during the warmer months, around 2.0 in the winter. Clearly the warmer spring weather around here appears to be helping.

Now, for the really weird part. Yesterday, I took a drive up into the mountains. I decided to experiment with Conserve mode, at least on the more level stretches. Otherwise, I was in All Purpose mode. My efficiency shot way up in Conserve mode. My drive involved about 2700’ of elevation change. When I returned home I had averaged 2.46m/kWh for the 60 or so miles I covered!!! Today, I was driving around my area with the car in All Purpose mode, expecting my efficiency to come back to earth. Terrain-wise, a little up and down, but not much. I averaged an astounding 2.55m/kWh!! How can this be? Prior to yesterday, I was averaging about 2.2m/kWh. I have never seen anything close to 2.55, for any sort of distance. I’d like to think Rivian snuck in some efficiency enhancements overnight, without mentioning it. I expect to come back to earth on this, but wish I could explain it. Yesterday, I thought is was all a Conserve mode thing, but maybe it‘s something else.

2023 R1T quad motor on 20“ AT’s. 7600 miles

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, R1S QM, MY DM, Zero SZF, Cyberbeast
Occupation
Electric bum
My Cyberbeast now has 208mi with energy consumption at 376Wh/mi. Not bad considered it's running on 285/65R20, 35in AT tires. For comparison, my Rivian R1T QM has 3189mi, using 380Wh/mi but it has 275/55R21 32.9in AS tires. So, I was wrong🤭 my Cyberbeast is actually more efficient than my R1T despite running bigger AT tires🤗
Sorry, R1T, Cyberbeast gets to park in the garage tonight 😝

Rivian R1T R1S Is range improvement over time possible? 20240514_173037

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

Sorry, R1T, Cyberbeast gets to park in the garage tonight 😝
It’s for the better. Your Compass Yellow R1T looks awesome compared to the dumpster you’re hiding in the garage, imo. ;)
Sponsored