Sponsored

Is Rivian having financial problems? They will not reply to my request for $1000 deposit refund after three weeks

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Rob, My order was placed on Jan 12, so I am highly confident I would not be able to get my order started for another 12 months (probably much more).

I originally sent a request for cancellation and refund of deposit on May 4. My second request was May 11. No reply to either of these emails. Thankfully, I did finally get through to a chat rep a short while ago, and they did tell me the customer service group replied to my email sent earlier this morning. I did check my spam filter, and I did get a reply from their customer service group saying they needed me to confirm my mailing address to proceed forward with a refund. I did reply with the requested info, and am now awaiting confirmation they will give me my deposit back.

The chat rep claimed the rivian customer service had emailed me after my first request, but I did not find any evidence of that happening. The email they sent this morning was in my spam filter, but the ones they claim to have sent earlier were not there.

I hope this gets resolved. Too much time spent getting my money back.
If they are replying to your messages and need you to confirm your address then it's not entirely their fault it's taking this long. They don't want to send checks to places people won't receive them otherwise they have to incur the check cancel fees.
Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Rob, My order was placed on Jan 12, so I am highly confident I would not be able to get my order started for another 12 months (probably much more).

I originally sent a request for cancellation and refund of deposit on May 4. My second request was May 11. No reply to either of these emails. Thankfully, I did finally get through to a chat rep a short while ago, and they did tell me the customer service group replied to my email sent earlier this morning. I did check my spam filter, and I did get a reply from their customer service group saying they needed me to confirm my mailing address to proceed forward with a refund. I did reply with the requested info, and am now awaiting confirmation they will give me my deposit back.

The chat rep claimed the rivian customer service had emailed me after my first request, but I did not find any evidence of that happening. The email they sent this morning was in my spam filter, but the ones they claim to have sent earlier were not there.

I hope this gets resolved. Too much time spent getting my money back.
That sounds like progress! Depending upon the spam filter and configuration, the spam filtering system may delete flagged messages after a set period of time.

In general, if I don‘t get a reply via one method of communication after the second attempt I’ll switch to a different method.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Can't blame Rivian for your spam filters if you choose to contact them via email.

OP
OP
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Solar & storage plan drafting
If they are replying to your messages and need you to confirm your address then it's not entirely their fault it's taking this long. They don't want to send checks to places people won't receive them otherwise they have to incur the check cancel fees.
The first reply they sent was today - 18 days after my first email was sent. I responded immediately today to their email requesting my address. They should just refund to my credit card, cannot understand why they would send a check.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Take it with a grain of salt but I was chatting with a rep at the service center last week and he said that they've stopped refunding canceled pre-orders and are going to use the deposit money to throw keg parties for the service center employees until the money dries up and Rivian goes under.
Woah! No way. I was told the exact same thing but my rep said they were specifically using @jeffsolarspies deposit for their keg party...

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The first reply they sent was today - 18 days after my first email was sent. I responded immediately today to their email requesting my address. They should just refund to my credit card, cannot understand why they would send a check.
You said yourself they claim they replied to your first attempt. That email likely went to the exact same place this one did. So that isn't entirely true. This is the first reply you SAW.

OP
OP
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
That sounds like progress! Depending upon the spam filter and configuration, the spam filtering system may delete flagged messages after a set period of time.

In general, if I don‘t get a reply via one method of communication after the second attempt I’ll switch to a different method.
Can't blame Rivian for your spam filters if you choose to contact them via email.
It appears my email provider had recently changed their webmail/spam platform, and all spam was deleted after only 7 days. It used to be one month, so I had to turn off spam filtering as I did not check it that regularly.

I hope the problem is now resolved. Thanks to everyone that helped, and it would be nice if I could have found the cancel and refund option in my Rivian account. It might be there, I may have overlooked it, but I seriously clicked every viable option to find it and no luck.

Thanks again folks :)

OP
OP
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Is this the account you used to place your reservation? It looks like there is no reservation attached since there is no vehicle icon like I have at the green arrow here when logged in via a browser:
1684782020924.png

I would definitely call them to get an explanation.
Rob,

I only have this account, and it does not have that icon. They must not add that icon until your reservation is ready to be built. It sure would have been preferrable to have that icon and cancel online option available to all people that pay a deposit.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Rob,

I only have this account, and it does not have that icon. They must not add that icon until your reservation is ready to be built. It sure would have been preferrable to have that icon and cancel online option available to all people that pay a deposit.
There may be something up with your account then. I don’t have a Rivian yet or a locked configuration but I’ve had that icon since I placed my deposit. Maybe newer accounts don’t see this because there is no option to configure a vehicle until close to delivery. I think they made that change after March 1st, 2022 and that could explain the difference.

I’m just glad that you’re finally communicating with Rivian and hopefully you’ll see a resolution to the cancel & refund request shortly.

OP
OP
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
There may be something up with your account then. I don’t have a Rivian yet or a locked configuration but I’ve had that icon since I placed my deposit. Maybe newer accounts don’t see this because there is no option to configure a vehicle until close to delivery. I think they made that change after March 1st, 2022 and that could explain the difference.

I’m just glad that you’re finally communicating with Rivian and hopefully you’ll see a resolution to the cancel & refund request shortly.
Thanks Rob, I figured there must be something odd about my account to not see the "Cancel" option.

I feel like I am really working for the $1000 refund.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Here are the options in my Rivian account. I clicked every link, but do not see anything that would allow me to cancel.

1684781635952.png
Did you log on through the web? That is where I recall the link to cancel was.

OP
OP
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Yes, logged into my Rivian.com account, but it appears the vehicle configurator tab was not working for my account, so I cannot cancel online. Rob helped me diagnose this in his posts above.

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My guess is CS changed the status of his order after he emailed them to cancel, so the button disappeared since they had already started the cancellation process and just needed him to confirm his address, but all those steps were in his spam folder.

OP
OP
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
My guess is CS changed the status of his order after he emailed them to cancel, so the button disappeared since they had already started the cancellation process and just needed him to confirm his address, but all those steps were in his spam folder.
That button was never present in my account. I logged in many times prior to cancellation and never saw a R1T icon that would let me view my configuration I ordered.

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
I'm like 70% sure some "journalist" is going to pick up on this thread and write an article about Rivian's financial problems.
Why not, they get paid for clickety-clicks even though content is pure shite / made up. They can clear even more money by getting a robot to read during a YouTube video showing stock Rivian footage. :rolleyes:
Sponsored