First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1S, Tesla Model S
Occupation
Banker
Don’t know if this has been posted before (haven’t been able to find it if it has), but my R1S has a super loud fan (sounds like a jet engine!) at the front of the vehicle that comes on every time I shift into drive. Not on until it goes into drive and., interestingly enough, it shuts off very briefly when turning the wheels. The fan comes on regardless of whether the battery is pre-conditioned or the outside temp (has come on in -5 Celsius / 23 Fahrenheit and 10 degrees C / 50 Fahrenheit).

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

This is normal. That’s the pedestrian warning sound Rivian uses to alert people, especially those with vision issues, that there is a vehicle which may move. This is a legal requirement but each manufacturer can choose how to implement it within certain parameters.

edit: I forgot to mention that the gap in the sound has nothing to do with the steering. It occurs when switching from Drive to Reverse or vice versa. The sound only plays when the vehicle is in a “gear” which allows it to move.

OP
OP

Shaggy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1S, Tesla Model S
Occupation
Banker
This is normal. That’s the pedestrian warning sound Rivian uses to alert people, especially those with vision issues, that there is a vehicle which may move. This is a legal requirement but each manufacturer can choose how to implement it within certain parameters.

edit: I forgot to mention that the gap in the sound has nothing to do with the steering. It occurs when switching from Drive to Reverse or vice versa. The sound only plays when the vehicle is in a “gear” which allows it to move.
Well, you learn something every day. Thank you.

So what you‘re saying is that Rivian chose to use a jet turbine sound, which soundS more like a seized fan?!!! Who knew?!!!

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Well, you learn something every day. Thank you.

So what you‘re saying is that Rivian chose to use a jet turbine sound, which soundS more like a seized fan?!!! Who knew?!!!
The sounds this vehicle makes are all very intentional, and nature focused. FWIW, the pedestrian warning sound used to be MUCH louder (it still is in reverse, by design since the speaker is in the front only).

This story offers great insight into the sound choices if you haven't seen it yet.
The Sounds of Rivian by Rivian - Rivian Stories

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
As mentioned, it's the pedestrian warning system. I am not a fan of the whooshing sound and would have preferred something that as more discernible. My Volt had a futuristic whirring sound that was very obvious.
Sponsored