John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Okay, time to bring it full circle.

As suggested, I did some fabri-cobbling and made some frankenhooks. Overall, I consider the operation a success.

I originally thought it was excessive for EVSportline to include 16 fittings, but now that I've sacrified four of them, I'm glad they did.

I tried with both the aluminum extruded retainers from the EVSportline fittings as well as the plastic retainers from Mac's and found the Mac's design to be more comfortable and to have a better fit in the L-track. One change I may make, in the future, is the addition of a small-diameter washer between the spring and j-hook. But for now, this is a servicable solution.

Thanks, everyone, for your feedback and suggestions.

IMG_1598.jpeg

IMG_1599.jpeg

IMG_1600.jpeg

IMG_1604.jpeg

IMG_1607.jpeg

IMG_1608.jpeg
Nice work!
Sponsored

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs

Okay, time to bring it full circle.

As suggested, I did some fabri-cobbling and made some frankenhooks. Overall, I consider the operation a success.

I originally thought it was excessive for EVSportline to include 16 fittings, but now that I've sacrified four of them, I'm glad they did.

I tried with both the aluminum extruded retainers from the EVSportline fittings as well as the plastic retainers from Mac's and found the Mac's design to be more comfortable and to have a better fit in the L-track. One change I may make, in the future, is the addition of a small-diameter washer between the spring and j-hook. But for now, this is a servicable solution.

Thanks, everyone, for your feedback and suggestions.

IMG_1598.jpeg

IMG_1599.jpeg

IMG_1600.jpeg

IMG_1604.jpeg

IMG_1607.jpeg

IMG_1608.jpeg
Woah! very nice....need a job? 😂

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
“My precious…”

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s bitchin’ no rails tie downs mod! IMG_7836

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s bitchin’ no rails tie downs mod! IMG_7835

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s bitchin’ no rails tie downs mod! IMG_7834

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

@EV Sportline , enhancement suggestion…can you please provide a set of soft (rubber/synthetic something) covers to place over the mounts when they don’t have hooks attached to them? IMHO they don’t stick out too far past the rear/side rails, but when loading something right up to the back/sides it would be good to have a non-marring surface there vs the metal mounts.

Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Also, wondering if Rivian’s going to give us a bunch of sh*te for these at the rapture err…I mean #poweredtonneaureplacement time?

Last edited:

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

More stream of consciousness posts…
So , what do we think about doing when the mounting hole isn’t centered on the cutout of the plastic liner? Some of mine have been pretty good, but the alignment of others makes the mount sit too proud & crooked of the cutout in the plastic liner. Taking a hole saw to the line seems too extreme, an exacto not beefy/accurate enough. Maybe some Dremeling? Can’t wait for the melting plastic fumes…

Edit: I managed to get most of them to fit close enough on the back wall within my OCD tolerance by removing all eight bolts, allowing the plastic liner to move around a bit. Then I loosely attached each mount where I wanted it, then cranked it down.
I prolly could’ve done the same on the sides, but in order to free up the liner I would’ve needed to loosen up the torx securing the existing hooks, and I didn’t feel like going down to the basement AGAIN for another driver bit. :) So a couple of those exceeded my OCD, but that’s my own lazy *ss issue.

Last edited:

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Can we hazard a guess at what the working load limit is? In my past Toyotas, I would by the OEM D-Rings, remove the mounting shackle and mount them to the frame via the bed bolts; my ROM estimate of that WLL was “beyond my need to care”. These mount to (what appear to be) threaded inserts in the body, and while they provide outstanding utility, I’m wondering how aggressive I should be cinching the ratchet straps?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Can we hazard a guess at what the working load limit is? In my past Toyotas, I would by the OEM D-Rings, remove the mounting shackle and mount them to the frame via the bed bolts; my ROM estimate of that WLL was “beyond my need to care”. These mount to (what appear to be) threaded inserts in the body, and while they provide outstanding utility, I’m wondering how aggressive I should be cinching the ratchet straps?
I wouldn't trust them for ratchet straps, at all. Use the four factory D rings at the lower corners of the bed for ratchet straps.

I would only use these L-track pucks for bungie cords and light-duty accessories.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Yeah…now that I’ve bought 16 of them… :)
Wish there was a way to get to the bed frame.

Sponsored

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Added these over the weekend. Great rec!

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s bitchin’ no rails tie downs mod! 1687294097303

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Playing around still…. :like:

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s bitchin’ no rails tie downs mod! IMG_7893

Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s bitchin’ no rails tie downs mod! IMG_7892

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

@EV Sportline , enhancement suggestion…can you please provide a set of soft (rubber/synthetic something) covers to place over the mounts when they don’t have hooks attached to them? IMHO they don’t stick out too far past the rear/side rails, but when loading something right up to the back/sides it would be good to have a non-marring surface there vs the metal mounts.
I guess @EV Sportline has me on “ignore”…

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs