Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'd probably put some rubber grommets in those drilled out holes. But I get it if it's a "plan to buy didn't have any available"
Sponsored

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I'd probably put some rubber grommets in those drilled out holes. But I get it if it's a "plan to buy didn't have any available"
What is your concern exactly? Cutting the wires?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

What is your concern exactly? Cutting the wires?
Yeah, the insulation could eventually wear through from being jostled around as you drive.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Yeah, the insulation could eventually wear through from being jostled around as you drive.
Thanks. That is a fair thought. I might wrap the cables with some conduit where it passes through the camper

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

New fairing installed today, custom build by Colorado Fairing Company. Also sold the roof rack a few weeks back.

Special thanks to @Mcscoots and @Bbok1208 for going first on this one. Attached to OEM cross bars the same as @Mcscoots.

Rivian R1T R1S JJ’s Overland R1T Build V2 w/ Pop Top Camper Shell (Oru Designs) IMG_5601

Rivian R1T R1S JJ’s Overland R1T Build V2 w/ Pop Top Camper Shell (Oru Designs) IMG_5600

Sponsored

anonuser123

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

What’s the height up to the roof (no crossbar or Maxxair)? I’m calculating it out as 7’1” in standard mode. Thinking of buying a bruin but want to make sure this’ll fit in places I go

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

What’s the height up to the roof (no crossbar or Maxxair)? I’m calculating it out as 7’1” in standard mode. Thinking of buying a bruin but want to make sure this’ll fit in places I go
I get about 7'2" to the top of the roof.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Oh man so lowest ride height setting I might get 7’. Not much margin if the allowed garage height is 7’ for my workplace.

Do you like the camper though? Any downside?
It's got plusses and minuses like anything. I like the mostly hard sides for winter but dislike the latch/lock system, but they appear mostly standard for this type of product.

You might look at the Go Fast camper (@Team_GFC). They appear to have it sitting much lower off the roof, maybe they can give you some measurements for standard height.

Sponsored

Team_GFC

Site Sponsor
First Name
GoFastCampers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Manufacturer
It's got plusses and minuses like anything. I like the mostly hard sides for winter but dislike the latch/lock system, but they appear mostly standard for this type of product.

You might look at the Go Fast camper (@Team_GFC). They appear to have it sitting much lower off the roof, maybe they can give you some measurements for standard height.
Our camper will be the only one that doesn't entirely ruin your Rivian's range and driving experience. Deliveries start in August, and we're doing a $1k off sale as we speak.

Knock offs will never be as good as the original ultralight wedge camper.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Our camper will be the only one that doesn't entirely ruin your Rivian's range and driving experience. Deliveries start in August, and we're doing a $1k off sale as we speak.

Knock offs will never be as good as the original ultralight wedge camper.
Your comments seem boastful and in poor taste on my build thread.. Just thought your camper might be a better solution for @anonuser123 and his use case, shame you didn't even answer the question.

Team_GFC

Site Sponsor
First Name
GoFastCampers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Manufacturer
Your comments seem boastful and in poor taste on my build thread.. Just thought your camper might be a better solution for @anonuser123 and his use case, shame you didn't even answer the question.
We'll have measurements in June. We're about to start range testing and have a couple options we're planning to try to maximize results. I think the advantages of our original design will be clear once the dozens of Rivian owners who have ordered one start taking them camping.

anonuser123

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Agreed, not the best way to advertise the product. Would’ve at least been helpful if there was some data shared to support those claims.

I’ve been looking at a lot of different campers available for Rivian (Dirtbox, Hardsider, Oru, GFC, Tune, Super Pacific). Was at first interested in Dirtbox since their gap to the roof was only 1-1.5”. Although, I do like to camp in the winter and it gets very rainy/windy in NorCal. So Im leaning towards Oru.

@jjswan33 how difficult is it to take it on or off? Also, noticed you changed to a more aerodynamic cover. What’s your efficiency now vs when you had the ruffrax? I was thinking of getting a prinsu rack just to cover the roof gap to make it a bit more aerodynamic and have some storage space.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Agreed, not the best way to advertise the product. Would’ve at least been helpful if there was some data shared to support those claims.

I’ve been looking at a lot of different campers available for Rivian (Dirtbox, Hardsider, Oru, GFC, Tune, Super Pacific). Was at first interested in Dirtbox since their gap to the roof was only 1-1.5”. Although, I do like to camp in the winter and it gets very rainy/windy in NorCal. So Im leaning towards Oru.

@jjswan33 how difficult is it to take it on or off? Also, noticed you changed to a more aerodynamic cover. What’s your efficiency now vs when you had the ruffrax? I was thinking of getting a prinsu rack just to cover the roof gap to make it a bit more aerodynamic and have some storage space.
Yeah. The Oru is really great in the winter especially if you get their insulation kit.

With a helping hand and some ingenuity it's not too bad to take off. I had thought about building a lift for my garage but for now I have a stand made of wood I set it on then lower the truck and drive out and that works well enough.

About efficiency, I don't have a ton of miles yet with the fairing but I think it's going to settle in around 1.7-1.8 mi/kWh with my QM on 20" LT 275/65r20 Nitro Recon Grappler tires. It helps with the wind noise above 70mph too.
Sponsored