First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE (QM/L), 2024 Zero DSR/X
Occupation
Product Management
That big beautiful frunk has ruined me. Every time I think about straying to another EV brand and I see their tiny little malnourished looking frunk it's just a complete turnoff.
Not just the size but the power open/close. We have a Model Y and while the frunk is comparatively anemic, it's still big enough for my work bag or a small grocery run, my wife's purse when we're leaving the car unattended, etc. But the fact that it's so cheap and clunky that it's impossible to use without feeling like it's going to break every single time means we just keep some emergency winter roadside stuff up there and then re-buy it all next year because we forgot about it.
Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Not just the size but the power open/close. We have a Model Y and while the frunk is comparatively anemic, it's still big enough for my work bag or a small grocery run, my wife's purse when we're leaving the car unattended, etc. But the fact that it's so cheap and clunky that it's impossible to use without feeling like it's going to break every single time means we just keep some emergency winter roadside stuff up there and then re-buy it all next year because we forgot about it.
The powered aspect of it makes it functional and a pleasure to use - good call. I don't think I have even encountered another EV with a powered hood to access the frunk.

carmigo

Site Sponsor
First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their Rivian in the easiest way possible.
I picked up pizza last night, and I always put it in the frunk because it’s a perfect fit. As I’m getting back into the truck, I hear someone in the outdoor bar area say to his friends “Hey, that guy’s f—ing crazy, he just put his pizza on the engine!”. I was smiling the whole way home.
LOL. That's actually such an epic moment. How bad would putting a pizza on your engine be though??

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

Out of curiosity, did your cabin also smell like pizza during the drive home?

ciderarchitect

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 2018 Honda CRV
Occupation
Architect/Contractor
My office is in a part of town that has a number of folks with a loose grasp on domesticity and sobriety… and there was a gentlemen in my small parking lot one morning who saw me open the hood but didn’t see me grab something and he said “you have to disconnect the battery every time you park?!?!” I thought he was making a crack about EV’s but I am pretty sure he really thought I had an ICE vehicle with old fashioned battery drain!

Sponsored

TxBeachRivian

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura
Clubs

Out of curiosity, did your cabin also smell like pizza during the drive home?
Never. I put all my takeout in the frunk. It is awesome and keeps the cabin smelling great.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I do target mobile pickup and the app only has a trunk option so I always pop it as they’re walking up and they freeze dead in their tracks. People love frunks!

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Never. I put all my takeout in the frunk. It is awesome and keeps the cabin smelling great.
Pizza smell will make its way into the cab if put in Gear Tunnel...fyi. You'd think the opposite but that frunk is sealed up pretty tight!

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Nice!.............Is that better than Home Slice pizza?
Pedroso’s is the bomb, only bad thing is it’s a trailer and pickup only. Definitely worth a try …

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
VW ID4, R1T (on order); Prev: R1T QM
I love the automatic frunk. It was my go to storage spot and extremely convenient when unloading groceries as it was just that much closer to the entryway into my house from the garage.

I often hear that there's data which shows people don't use frunks. Well, when your frunk is cheap feeling and has to be closed a certain gentle way, has to be opened from the app or inside the car and is overall pretty small, why would you use it?

Automatic frunks ftw.

TxBeachRivian

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura
Clubs

Pizza smell will make its way into the cab if put in Gear Tunnel...fyi. You'd think the opposite but that frunk is sealed up pretty tight!
Yes, the tunnel is connected to the cabin and also more climate controlled than the frunk.
Frunk can get really hot.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian 2022 R1T, 2023 R1S
Occupation
Construction Management
The powered aspect of it makes it functional and a pleasure to use - good call. I don't think I have even encountered another EV with a powered hood to access the frunk.
The Ford Lightning has the super-mega power frunk (whatever they call it) it is pretty awesome. Pretty sure there are airbnb listings with less space and fewer amenities than the lightning frunk.
Sponsored